StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a little trouble bringing myself to spending $100 on a few pieces of steel and plastic. If I had the means of fabricating myself I would, so just wondering if someone has done this.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Pre-Madstad, the trick was to put some 6-cent washers under the lower screws of the stock windshield mounting bracket. Give the shield more rake tends to decrease buffeting.

Jamie

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just rode a 200 mile day yesterday with the Madstad bracket and is was wonderful. There was still slight buffeting around 80 mph +, but at least I could see where I was going for the first time at those speeds :-D If you don't have the means of making one too the specs Madstad Engineering makes them, I would break down and buy one if I were you. My friends thought the bracket came stock with the bike because of how well it looks. IMHO

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
I used 4 - 1 inch long nylon spacers and longer bolts for the windshield mount. No buffeting at all now. Cost was 6 bucks. If you want, I can post a pic later, I am on my phone now and it is just to hard. This works great but there is no adjustability.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard all the same things, and was just ready to buy, but the shitty dollar translation to Canadian, the shipping, and then whatever duties I get hit with is going from $90 to $140 or somewhere around there. I think my best bet will be to find someone to order 2 of them and split the shipping and duties cost.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Apparently they don't make a "madstad" for the '03. Anyone got a pic? Details close-up installed, and maybe semi-assembled before install; just to see how it's made/works. I keep reading about it, and searching turns up lots of talk and a few front shot pics that show nothing about how it works. I think I would like the adjustment it provides, and I can probably reproduce it, but it would be nice to see how it is made before reinventing the wheel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gladstad

A couple of months ago when it was freezing outside I decided to do the next-best-thing to riding which is to order a new farkle. Madstad was the next on my list but they were on backorder so I went to the hardware store and picked up a length of 1/8 x 1 1/2 aluminum angle.
I had never seen a Madstad in person so I looked at every pic on this site that I could find to get a general idea of how to build an adjustable mount and I used the stock mount to determine hole spacing etc.
The aluminum cuts easily with a good jigsaw using a fine metal cutting blade on a slow speed. The most difficult challenge using aluminum angle is in anealing and bending the angle to a tighter angle so the curve of the windshield mounts properly.
I think I have about $15 in materials and $5 in labor (figuring 50cents per hour) but it is very sturdy, adjusts easily and works exactly as I intended.
The last pic shows the addition of some vacuum tubing that I added to the edge to protect the windshield. The small holes (one was misdrilled) are tapped to accept screws that hold the factory trim strips in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm having a little trouble bringing myself to spending $100 .
..........I need a new tire for my Strom but cant bring myself to spend the $100. Has anyone ever made their own tire ?

Maybe I could find some scrap rubber.........Melt it down....Dig out a tire shaped hole in the ground.....Pour in the rubber and BINGO ! After a little work with the belt sander I am sure I would have a perfect tire for my bike.

.................. lol....................:lol1:

you guys are killing me. If one is so hard up that one cant afford a MadStad..........Maybe one should never have bought the Expensive-V-Strom-Super-Action-Toy......??????:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
..........I need a new tire for my Strom but cant bring myself to spend the $100. Has anyone ever made their own tire ?

Maybe I could find some scrap rubber.........Melt it down....Dig out a tire shaped hole in the ground.....Pour in the rubber and BINGO ! After a little work with the belt sander I am sure I would have a perfect tire for my bike.

you guys are killing me. If one is so hard up that one cant afford a MadStad..........Maybe one should never have bought the Expensive-V-Strom-Super-Action-Toy......??????:rolleyes:
Pretty harsh. I can't blame a guy for wanting to save a couple bills by making his own windshield mount.... jeez :rolleyes1:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
A couple of months ago when it was freezing outside I decided to do the next-best-thing to riding which is to order a new farkle. Madstad was the next on my list but they were on backorder so I went to the hardware store and picked up a length of 1/8 x 1 1/2 aluminum angle.
I had never seen a Madstad in person so I looked at every pic on this site that I could find to get a general idea of how to build an adjustable mount and I used the stock mount to determine hole spacing etc.
The aluminum cuts easily with a good jigsaw using a fine metal cutting blade on a slow speed. The most difficult challenge using aluminum angle is in anealing and bending the angle to a tighter angle so the curve of the windshield mounts properly.
I think I have about $15 in materials and $5 in labor (figuring 50cents per hour) but it is very sturdy, adjusts easily and works exactly as I intended.
The last pic shows the addition of some vacuum tubing that I added to the edge to protect the windshield. The small holes (one was misdrilled) are tapped to accept screws that hold the factory trim strips in place.
That, my friend, is a great job!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
You might if they didn't make tires for your bike...

And I often find that not only do I get a lot of satisfaction out of making something for myself (I have a pretty nicely equipped home fab and machine shop), I also often wind up with something I like a great deal more than a commercial unit. I'm not on the clock, justifying every hour. It's not at all uncommon that I might spend 4 hours making something I could buy for $20. Now if it's something not very interesting, or something keeping me from what I really want to do, I'll spend $100 to avoid 2 hours work. But I *enjoy* making interesting things myself, regardless of economic viability. That's why the call it a "hobby"...

·
Registered
65 Posts
VTG: Very nice looking mount you have there. Is that roughly how the madstad works? I had in mind something like a differential screw (like a turnbuckle, but not a turnbuckle) adjustment for positive fine tuned incremental adjustment. Or maybe a worm drive? Both are easily adjusted based on prevailing conditions while moving, even against wind force, and both are non-back-driving so it's not going to fight you...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I considered several ideas for making on the fly adjustment easier but am well satisfied with the simplicity of this. The best way I have found to dial things in is to tighten the knobs so the screen can be moved forward or pulled back by hand but tight enough that at 50mph the wind won't move it. After finding the "sweet spot" at that speed I stop and tighten things well then give it an 80mph test. Even when I had bikes with electric windshields once I found the "zone" I rarely adjusted it.

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
wow! this thread has inspired me. i'll do the cheap nylon spacer mod while i work on building an electric or vacuum controlled bracket that will adjust the windshield automatically depending on airspeed...
expect it to eb even uglier than the bike, lol

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts

Actually, making stuff for yourself is how the MadStad came to be. Somebody had to make one and then fine tune it and then produce it. If some one can make there own, :mod2_punk:. I make a lot of my own mounts and brackets. I agree with BadDog, the bike is a hobby, working on it is a way to relax and enjoy both the riding aspect as well as the feeling of accomplishmet from making it better.
I have made many pieces of furniture, trailers, scooters, motorized bicycles and even a motorized beer cooler. Sure I could have bought them, but the pleasure of making/building them IS a large part of what I like.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts