StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a phobia of leaving my bike out in the rain, especially when Im at work. I never minded my scooter though, except when we had a storm that blew it over on its side. So what ended up happening was id never ride my motorcycle if there was any chance of rain. So what I wonder is, what kind of problems can arrise with repeatedly leaving you bike in a pouring rain? Are there any small mods I can do to protect any bits? Shorten the kickstand to make a blowover less likely?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I ride to work everyday unless its raining in the AM when I leave. I left it out in the rain a whole bunch of times and like you was worried about the electrical stuff. I used Heavy's idea with the film canister and I also use a cheap cover from Walmart. Its not 100% water proof but it does help. I have had zero problem yet and it seems to be raining a whole lot these days later int he afternoon.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Hey, glad you liked the film cannister idea. Pretty simple huh?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I leave my bike in the rain at work all the time. Normally I park on the centerstand at work but if there's a big storm brewing, I'll park on the kickstand and leave it in gear. Hasen't blown over yet...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Only thing I do differently is cover the ignition switch so water can't get into it and seize it up.

Exactly. That is the only problem I have had on the bike-last winter it rained a g*%&@#$! lot too.
Never had a blowover, but seems to me it is safer on the sidestand versus the centerstand.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm extremely fortunate. I have covered parking where I work so the bike does not sit out in the weather. Garaged at night and in the day. I do ride almost everyday. For some reason, I don't like to ride when there is a heavy rainstorm happening as I leave the house. In Florida this does not happen all that frequently. Most of our heavy rains come in the afternoon. I ride through it all.

The 'Strom is only a little over a month old now and turned 4000 this morning! Thus far, I'm very happy with my selection.

Might make 100,000 miles on the 'Strom and have to buy a 2010 model!

·
Registered
177 Posts
JetJaguar said:
I leave my bike in the rain at work all the time.
Me too. No problems.

- Tom

·
Registered
285 Posts
Heavy said:
Hey, glad you liked the film cannister idea. Pretty simple huh?
Very simple and a great idea :D I showed my neighbor and he did the same thing for his bike. It just so happened the day I read your post about that. We had at work and bunch of old film they were giving away so I grabbed a few of the canisters to play with. Good job with that idea Heavy :!:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not only I park it under the rain. I ride it while its raining.

I don't think that the iginition will seize up after one rain.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I've had mine for 17 months and it's never been inside. I don't have a garage and I park it outside at home and at work. I tried to cover it for while but I've had three covers torn to shreds in the wind and gave that up. I haven't gotten around to the film canister trick yet but I intend to. My key will stick occsaionaly but a little wd-40 takes care of it. Other than that I have had no problems and my conditions are a little on the extreme side.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Jeeze...The first few miles of riding that morning must have been really tough on your ass. :wink:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I usually don't ride if there is a chance of rain. I'd rather ride my bicycle the 12 miles or just take the car that day if it looks really bad. But I leave a cheap cover at the office just in case. It's not great, but should keep things dry enough.

·
Registered
64 Posts
At home I store my Wee in a Cycle Shell. Just remember that the Strom is a big bike. Much bigger than it feels. I have the middle size and it barely fits.

I plan to make one of those film cannister key covers for when I am away from home.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Having riden in rain a great deal I am glad to report no problems encountered. Only one thing which I attribute to rain was this. I was on a trip and during the night a large storm rolled in. The bike was uncovered. Next morning when I left, all appeared ok. About 25 miles out, when passing a vehicle I accelerated bringing the secondaries in and immediately the engine died. The red lght came on and the FI indicator displayed. After a check, it restarted like no problem. During the ride, on four occasions, the engine died when I tried to bring in the secondaries. We made it home without problem and I took it to the dealer for check.
The tech reported that he was unable to duplicate the issue and therefore couldn't find a problem. And it has not occurred since.

TC :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts