StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew if you can change the ratio on a 2016 DL650A odometer? I have changed the rear sproket from the 47 rear to a 42. The speedo is now [email protected] and the ODO is now showing 1.1 miles per 1 on the trip. I have a 2001 DRZ400S and I found out that I can change the ratio of the odometer and shows as percent buy the right combination of the buttons:confused::confused::confused::confused:. I have played with it and could really change the ODO. I dont want a speedo healer. I would rather just deal with the error, BUT!~ Can I do this ODO adjustment on the DL like I can on the DRZ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The speed sensor is in the front wheel so you shouldn't have experienced a speedo change. I know I didn't when I changed sprockets

Edit: I just read it's a 2016. I'm not sure since I have a k6

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,260 Posts
Speed sensor is on the countershaft sprocket on 2012+ DL 650. I know of no other way than using a SpeedoHealer or similar device. Your speedometer is now MUCH more accurate with the 42t rear sprocket than it was with the factory size! Either way, either the countershaft ( 16t makes it almost exact ) or going with fewer teeth on the rear sprocket, or using one of the electronic devices that correct the speed you WILL lose accuracy of the Odometer. Mine reads less miles than I actually travel with the 16t countershaft sprocket.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The speed sensor is in the front wheel so you shouldn't have experienced a speedo change. I know I didn't when I changed sprockets

Edit: I just read it's a 2016. I'm not sure since I have a k6
Yeppers! The speedo sensor fires from the rear primary shaft on the 2016. I think there is a way to adjust the ODO but finding the combination of buttons to push to change it has eluded me... :var_52:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speed sensor is on the countershaft sprocket on 2012+ DL 650. I know of no other way than using a SpeedoHealer or similar device. Your speedometer is now MUCH more accurate with the 42t rear sprocket than it was with the factory size! Either way, either the countershaft ( 16t makes it almost exact ) or going with fewer teeth on the rear sprocket, or using one of the electronic devices that correct the speed you WILL lose accuracy of the Odometer. Mine reads less miles than I actually travel with the 16t countershaft sprocket.
The speedo error being less with 42 rear sproket is very true! The factory setup was 3MPH under @55 indicated on my bike. Now it is +2 @ 55MPH. I dont know what the ODO was reading before I changed the rear sproket. I didnt check it till after I put on the 42T. Man..... The factory rear sproket was the size of a dinner plate!

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I went to a 14T front. At 60mph my speedo is off by.....9.....and GPS says...."uhmmm, dude kick it up a notch your only doing 51." Anyway, I never look at the speedo, just the GPS .

·
Administrator
5,347 Posts
If you are that focused on having a correct speedometer why not buy a GPS? I have one in my car and I use that for reading my speed all the time. It is so much more accurate ALL the time no matter what your gearing, your tyres, your tyre pressures or how worn they are.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are that focused on having a correct speedometer why not buy a GPS? I have one in my car and I use that for reading my speed all the time. It is so much more accurate ALL the time no matter what your gearing, your tyres, your tyre pressures or how worn they are.
I agree with the GPS! I have one on the top of my tank bag. I dont really care about the speedo but the odometer I want correct. When counting up miledge and having the correct miles driven without adding the .1 per mile just is less I have to think about.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You said you don't want the device that can handle the situation. The speedo/odo run off a pulse from a Hall effect sensor. A device like a SpeedoHealer or a SpeedoDRD that modifies the pulse rate is the only way to make a change to the stock instrument. You could add another device like a bicycle speedometer/odometer if that will handle what you want.

Are you aware the stock odometer is about 2% high with stock gearing?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You said you don't want the device that can handle the situation. The speedo/odo run off a pulse from a Hall effect sensor. A device like a SpeedoHealer or a SpeedoDRD that modifies the pulse rate is the only way to make a change to the stock instrument. You could add another device like a bicycle speedometer/odometer if that will handle what you want.

Are you aware the stock odometer is about 2% high with stock gearing?
Wolfman, You are correct! I would just rather do the simple math on the ODO and deal with it then get the healer. I just thought Suzuki gave the same option to ba able to adjust the ODO on th display like they gave on the DRZ I have.

And.... No, I didnt know what the stock error was. Good to know thoe. Mine is +10% now with that 42T rear.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
There are a bunch of different free apps for a smart phone that have speedometer/odometer/trip meter functions. Since they fill the whole screen of the phone when you're using them, they're easy to see, even if the phone is mounted some distance away from you.

Back when I had a V-Strom, I actually used a twenty dollar bicycle speedometer to accurately track speed and mileage. The speedometer reads off a sensor on the front wheel, and you can program it for the exact wheel circumference, so the readings are accurate. The downside was that the computer only samples like every quarter second, so there would be a slight delay in registering when the speed increased or decreased. The delay didn't bother me.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are a bunch of different free apps for a smart phone that have speedometer/odometer/trip meter functions. Since they fill the whole screen of the phone when you're using them, they're easy to see, even if the phone is mounted some distance away from you.

Back when I had a V-Strom, I actually used a twenty dollar bicycle speedometer to accurately track speed and mileage. The speedometer reads off a sensor on the front wheel, and you can program it for the exact wheel circumference, so the readings are accurate. The downside was that the computer only samples like every quarter second, so there would be a slight delay in registering when the speed increased or decreased. The delay didn't bother me.
I didnt know about the phone apps. Good to know. The bike speedo in the photo doesnt look that bad. I also have a GPS on my tank bag. I can reset the trip meter on it as well. Before I do the bike speedo I would do the speedo healer but I will keep the GPS in any case. :furious: Just wish Suzuki gave me the same option they gave me on my DRZ to be able to change the ODO ratio. It kills me! Why did'nt they do that??????

I think

·
Registered
833 Posts
I didnt know about the phone apps. Good to know. The bike speedo in the photo doesnt look that bad. I also have a GPS on my tank bag. I can reset the trip meter on it as well. Before I do the bike speedo I would do the speedo healer but I will keep the GPS in any case. :furious: Just wish Suzuki gave me the same option they gave me on my DRZ to be able to change the ODO ratio. It kills me! Why did'nt they do that??????

I think
In the first place, why did'nt they make it accurate??

·
Registered
670 Posts
In the first place, why did'nt they make it accurate??
Liability. It cannot indicate slow. In order to account for varying tire sizes, they err on the side of caution.

I was wondering if anyone knew if you can change the ratio on a 2016 DL650A odometer?
SpeedoDRD will do what you need. Only takes a few minutes to install. You can choose to have an accurate odometer or speedometer, but not both.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Liability. It cannot indicate slow. In order to account for varying tire sizes, they err on the side of caution.

SpeedoDRD will do what you need. Only takes a few minutes to install. You can choose to have an accurate odometer or speedometer, but not both.
I can understand about making the speedo a LITTLE slow but not 7% like my bike was. As for the Odometer it should be "spot on" but ive heard on here its usuallly 2%+. I think they do the Odometer that way to increase the estimated gas miledge. A dirty trick I tell you! :rant:

·
5,260 Posts
I can understand about making the speedo a LITTLE slow but not 7% like my bike was. As for the Odometer it should be "spot on" but ive heard on here its usuallly 2%+. I think they do the Odometer that way to increase the estimated gas miledge. A dirty trick I tell you! :rant:
I have yet to see a V STrom with a "slow" speedometer with factory gearing or front tire size ( for pre 2012 models ). Odometers are usually pretty close to accurate, I don't think the ones I have had were near 2% off. I think they could do a better job at the factory getting the speedometer closer to reality.

If I may, I would like to rant about the %&*^$#^@ fuel mileage readouts on bikes and cars! Mine were typically showing 2-4 mpg higher than actual manual calculations would show. This was checked many times before I switched gearing. My car shows up to 5 mpg difference, and is never better than 1-2 mpg difference. Yes, the show you are getting better mileage than you really are. I do think that is engineered into them.......

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have yet to see a V STrom with a "slow" speedometer with factory gearing or front tire size ( for pre 2012 models ). Odometers are usually pretty close to accurate, I don't think the ones I have had were near 2% off. I think they could do a better job at the factory getting the speedometer closer to reality.

If I may, I would like to rant about the %&*^$#^@ fuel mileage readouts on bikes and cars! Mine were typically showing 2-4 mpg higher than actual manual calculations would show. This was checked many times before I switched gearing. My car shows up to 5 mpg difference, and is never better than 1-2 mpg difference. Yes, the show you are getting better mileage than you really are. I do think that is engineered into them.......
Please say that is your car in the photo??? Can I lick it?

·
5,260 Posts
Yes, #214. No.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts