StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am concerned about the throttle cable and what is this "absorbent of grease?

I have reservations about digging into this but I really need to...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Throttle cables should not be greased. They are teflon coated and should not be lubed. The grips are not heated all around and are not sturdy. Do a search on heated grips for better choices.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
I quite like the OEM heated grips, despite what greywolf says. I find them sturdy, and haven't noticed that they "are not heated all around." No hot grip is going to heat your knuckles, anyway.

They're as hot as you'll want. Cranked up, they burn your palms.

Don't worry about the "absorbent of grease" - someone at Suzuki isn't a good translator.

Use brake-clean.

You won't have any problems with the throttle cables. Just put them back they way you found them.

And make sure you route the throttle side's power cable where it won't hang up on anything. Leave some slack for when you want to open it wide.

Search the forum. There's lots of info about the heated grips, especially on where and how to best hook up the electrical.

It's all very simple, really.

Really.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no choice...

I really have no choice about the grips, they were my anaversary present from my wife. They are going on.
I appreciate the tip on the throttle cable. I tend to find the end of the cable often enough :D
I wuill try to find the other threads... I remember soem informative posts on the old board but I can't find them here. Maybe they didn't survive the transfer.. bummer.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I quite like the OEM heated grips, despite what greywolf says. I find them sturdy, and haven't noticed that they "are not heated all around." No hot grip is going to heat your knuckles, anyway.

They're as hot as you'll want. Cranked up, they burn your palms.

Don't worry about the "absorbent of grease" - someone at Suzuki isn't a good translator.

Use brake-clean.

You won't have any problems with the throttle cables. Just put them back they way you found them.

And make sure you route the throttle side's power cable where it won't hang up on anything. Leave some slack for when you want to open it wide.

Search the forum. There's lots of info about the heated grips, especially on where and how to best hook up the electrical.

It's all very simple, really.

Really.

Enjoy.

I could not have said it better. If its not under 45F the grips burn my hands not just my palms. I feel heat all the way around. Install is straight forward, I had no trouble with the throttle cables. Go and install them man they make a huge difference in comfort.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so I have seen that some guys have done this in as little as 20 minutes. My main concern is in getting the old grips off and gettng the new ones on right. I am not worried about the wiring.
The instructions offer nothing on getting the old ones off.
Any advice?
I would like to get this done before my next mid to low 30 degree commute...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Use a long, thin screwdriver blade to get into the glue joint then run the blade around. The glue bond is like rubber cement and it breaks easily.

M

·
0 Posts
I found that an Xacto knife was the secret to removing the old grips. Just slice and remove. You have new grips already, so just cut those puppies off. Also I found that if you use a little hair spray (I know sounds wierd, huh?) on the inside of the grips they will slide right on without any pushing, shoving, air hose using nonsense.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
Use a long, thin screwdriver blade to get into the glue joint then run the blade around. The glue bond is like rubber cement and it breaks easily.
Do what greywolf said, and to make it real easy just slide the thin screwdriver all the way under the grip and squirt a little WD40 under it and then run the screwdriver around and the grip will fly off. :) Another little trick if your putting the old grip back on is to squirt just a touch of WD40 inside the grip and slide it back on and after it sets overnight the glue will rebond.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Are you guys re-gluing the new grips on with new grip-glue?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have them. They work really well. I followed the instructions line for line, word for word, and that was well over a year and 7500 miles ago.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Are you guys re-gluing the new grips on with new grip-glue?
Nah, I didn't bother. After a few weeks it cooked on pretty tight.

I just made sure I cleaned everything up well with brake clean and slid it on before the cleaner evaporated.

If I ever find it gets sloppy, I'll glue it, though.

It's just the left side, really, that's an issue.

I suppose any old epoxy would work.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, what about the throttle side?
Any special considerations?
How about the throttle cables?

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
I suppose any old epoxy would work.

No, it's handgrip cement. It's like rubber cement. You put a little on the grip and put it on real quick because it dries real fast. If it gets too sticky before you get it on, squirt a little WD40 in there and it will slide right on. You can take a grip on and off using WD and the glue will rebond when you put the same grip back on.

I don't think I would try epoxy.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Throttle cables should not be greased. They are teflon coated and should not be lubed. The grips are not heated all around and are not sturdy. Do a search on heated grips for better choices.
I got mine yesterday, and although they aren't installed yet, they feel very sturdy IMO. Plus the control switch is very nice. I'm happy I went with the OEM's.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
No, it's handgrip cement. It's like rubber cement. You put a little on the grip and put it on real quick because it dries real fast. If it gets too sticky before you get it on, squirt a little WD40 in there and it will slide right on. You can take a grip on and off using WD and the glue will rebond when you put the same grip back on.

I don't think I would try epoxy.
The parts guy at my local Suzuki dealer looked at my like I was crazy when I asked if there was such a thing. On his advice I didn't use anything at all. I have to say, the grip doesn't move. It's stuck real good.

Mr. Fisherman: No special concerns about the throttle side. You might have to do a slight cable adjustment, but I didn't. Just two cables for the throttle that are simply re-installed, and leave some slack in the grip wire for when you twist it. No cement necessary, esp on that side.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Get under the grip a bit and use an air nozzle. this usually does the trick without cutting them off.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
The parts guy at my local Suzuki dealer looked at my like I was crazy when I asked if there was such a thing. On his advice I didn't use anything at all. I have to say, the grip doesn't move. It's stuck real good.
WOW, thats not saying much for the parts guy. :) Honda makes it part# 087123-0001

·
Registered
177 Posts
After reading all I could here regarding heated grips, I've decided to go with the OEM's, despite any shortcomings they may have.

The one thing I'm still unclear about - some people have reported being able to make the electrical connection to the harness without removing any tupperware from the bike. I don't see how this is possible. With a strong flashlight, I can barely see the plastic connector deep down in there, much yet get my hands to it.

And if you do need to remove stuff, which stuff? Would you lift the gas tank and remove the air box to get to it?

Thanks in advance!

- Tom

1 - 20 of 35 Posts