StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't tell you how many windshields I've replaced on my cars over the years because of rocks being thrown by the vehicle in front of me. I was on the Cee Bailey site looking at their plexiglass covers ( kinda fugly ) and I beleive I've seen some made of wire mesh. So I was wandering, is anybody here running with some kind of headlight guard? Anyone ever had a rock ruin your motorcycle headlight?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've got this one.

Custom designed for the Strom, four point fitting on the existing fairing screws. Bought this after a rock cracked the headlight.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have the same one,bought it from Tourtech the day after I bought my V.
A very well spent $100 !!!.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
A film type cover is pretty effective and a lot less hideous:
Motorcycle Headlight Protection Film - webBikeWorld

Good gravy, really? This is the best Cee Bailey could do? The covers are nice, but those adhesive Velcro dots are completely idiotic and doomed to fail.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I have the same one,bought it from Tourtech the day after I bought my V.
A very well spent $100 !!!.
Got a link? I couldn't find anything on Touratech's site -- do they still carry this?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Yes they do,it should be in the Vstrom section.I live 3 miles from Tourtech USA so I just go hang out there sometimes ( very dangerous !! ).

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
I have the Ventura headlight protector (I think that's manu), it's like the Cee Bailey but is one piece. Mounted per manufacturer instructions and it rubbed on part of the headlight scratching it. :thumbdown: Removed the original mounting velco and added my own strategically around the protector. No more rubbing or scratches but during the 100° F heat wave we had the the glue on the velco gave up and everything started to slide downward an 1/8 to 1/4 inch. :thumbdown:

I have removed it and will try again with heavy duty exterior velco.

Should have gone with the TouraTech one but this one was a gift from my daughter.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks for posting a pic from Cee Bailey for me. For some reason I just cannot figure out how to capture a pic from a website and post it elsewhere from my I-pad. You know I like the look of the plexiglass on the Cee Bailey but the method of attachment just detracts too much for me. And after hearing about other experiences with the Velcro buttons losing their adhesion in extreme heat, well me being in Phoenix AZ, I don't think that would work anyway. Wire screen seems to be the only viable option.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I got two 6x9" strips of the headlight film from Xpel for 20ish bucks with shipping. Used paper to trace a pattern on the headlights, then trimmed the film some more on application. It has some air bubbles, but has been on for five thousand miles without issue.

·
Registered
235 Posts
A film type cover is pretty effective and a lot less hideous:
Motorcycle Headlight Protection Film - webBikeWorld

Good gravy, really? This is the best Cee Bailey could do? The covers are nice, but those adhesive Velcro dots are completely idiotic and doomed to fail.
I had the Cee Baileys with velcro mounting on a Beemer for years with no problems. But I wasn't in a high-heat environment so I can't speak to that.

·
Registered
15,052 Posts
I like the looks of the Touratech guard.
In 50 years of motorcycling and off roading I've only had one rock event that caused me to pinch off a tube in the radiator. Windshields were freeway events. And only on of them.
Like I said I like the look of the Touratech grill, gives the bike a more Mad Max appearance.
Just wondered if a bit of heavy wire screen and a few of those plastic pop rivets from the fairing would not provide the same level of protection. Quick disconnect too!
I'll have to get some sort of hairy vest to wear over my Roadcrafter if I were to fully farkle the bike with this stuff. And a spike on the Scorpion helmet! :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I did the same thing. I bought a sheet of Xpel. They provided a squeegee. The Xpel is thicker than others. I used clear plastic and a sharpie marker to make the template. Then transferred it to card board. Mounted it using the wet method and my wife's hair dryer. (Don't tell her :yesnod: . At first there were a large number of very small bubbles. They went away after a couple of days as their directions indicate. Good stuff and did not really hinder the amount of light the Vstrom flamethrower emits. I have enough left over for two more Vstrom or use on the car. Plus the leftover pieces can be used of wear spots.

I got two 6x9" strips of the headlight film from Xpel for 20ish bucks with shipping. Used paper to trace a pattern on the headlights, then trimmed the film some more on application. It has some air bubbles, but has been on for five thousand miles without issue.
It may not offer the protection from large objects like the screens but I hd two nicks and felt over time thee will help.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Thank you. I used lots of alcohol/water spray and started from one center edge. It takes lots of spray to keep it from sticking. Once it starts to stick there is no stopping. Use the heat only after it is positioned. Next time I will get help and have someone work the hair dryer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts