StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a "Happy" camper at the moment. Two statements in there ad 1. Works with Factory, Givi and HT bars. 2. Compatible w/factory centerstand.
Deal with #2 first. On the right side rear brackets held between a frame member and the bracket that holds the centerstand. The Thickness of the rear bracket moves the distance between the centerstand pivot and the original bracket out .137". Thus creating a gap. If the bolt is tightened at this point 1 of 3 things happen . A sloppy fit or a bent or broken bracket. Solved this one on my own by making a shim washer(Should have been supplied) of .139 thickness.
Now #1 (Not solved yet) The bracket for hooking it to the crashbars is to large to go between the bar and the valve cover. On the right side the gap is about 3/16" and the part is about 3/8". There photo shows it w/HT bars and that has a 1" gap. Did they not even do a test fit w/Givi?
Who out there has dealt with this? Solution?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I have the same setup. Replace the right side bracket for the crashbar mount with a U-Bolt, nobody will notice it. Then it all fits together easily. I didn't notice any issues with the centerstand pivot, but do not remember how I put that together exactly. Was a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear that it wasn't just me. I called HT yesterday and he(Tim) said that they didn't know of the problem. I sent pictures and hes going to get back with me.
The idea of the U bolt occurred to me also, but wanted to see what HT could come up with. Glad it works so have an alternate route.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I like Happy Trails for the robustness of their products, but they do have some fit and finish issues (in my experience). I've ordered two sets of pannier racks from them; on the second set, they sent the wrong size bolts to attach them to the bike. The powdercoating was also a little substandard, and started flaking off in the first year.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Using their crash bars would have solved the front mount problem, but I like my Givi bars and want to stay with them. I could just use their front mount plate for a partial pattern and make one that works. The brackets are an additional $80 so I feel they need to make it right or compensate me in some way.
I did get a E-mail back from them that the photos were received and they would get back with me.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Using their crash bars would have solved the front mount problem, but I like my Givi bars and want to stay with them. I could just use their front mount plate for a partial pattern and make one that works. The brackets are an additional $80 so I feel they need to make it right or compensate me in some way.
I did get a E-mail back from them that the photos were received and they would get back with me.
ok did you mentioned them the problem about the stand too?

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently they just install it with the gap. It probably works, but I feel that when theres a bushing thats meant to take the pressure of the bolt tightening just using a thread locker and snugging isn't enough.
The guy on the phone(Tim) sent me an E-mail yesterday that he talked to their installer and was told of a secret stash of U-bolts he kept for the problem. Bolts are in the mail. Communication and follow through aren't strong points apparently. These problems need to be addressed at the time of ordering and on their website.
If there was a reason alternative it would have gone back. The others just don't have the strength of the HT.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I am very happy with my HT skidplate, it has slid my bike across several logs and I can lift the bike using it, very solid and functional. 4 bolts to get it off to change the oil.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am very happy with my HT skidplate, it has slid my bike across several logs and I can lift the bike using it, very solid and functional. 4 bolts to get it off to change the oil.
You're right, its the sturdiest of whats available and thats why I wanted it. Talked to Tim yesterday and he said that when his installer comes in on Monday they are going over both problems. Future kits will be supplied with proper hardware to take care of this.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay heres how my final solution came out. 1st the 5/16 U-bolts they provided me didn't work for me. Too thick to go between the bar and valve cover. If the skid plate was positioned right the U-bolt ended up in the bend of the crashbar. Not good and I didn't want to bend the bracket to get it to match the bars.
2nd I decided to build brackets from the skidplate to the crash bar. Used 1/8X3/4 steel bar. These go straight up rather than outward that the factory plate does. The tight side(It ended up in the middle of bulge for the cam sprocket) a 1/4 U-bolt was needed. The other side the factory U-clamp was used. Cut the bars at 4 1/2" and drilled them for the clamps. With the skidplate propped up in place they were clamped in place. and the lower holes marked. Then drilled and painted. worked out great.
Plenty strong and solid(I think the factory bracket was a bit of over kill.).
Try to follow up with photos later.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Okay heres how my final solution came out. 1st the 5/16 U-bolts they provided me didn't work for me. Too thick to go between the bar and valve cover. If the skid plate was positioned right the U-bolt ended up in the bend of the crashbar. Not good and I didn't want to bend the bracket to get it to match the bars.
2nd I decided to build brackets from the skidplate to the crash bar. Used 1/8X3/4 steel bar. These go straight up rather than outward that the factory plate does. The tight side(It ended up in the middle of bulge for the cam sprocket) a 1/4 U-bolt was needed. The other side the factory U-clamp was used. Cut the bars at 4 1/2" and drilled them for the clamps. With the skidplate propped up in place they were clamped in place. and the lower holes marked. Then drilled and painted. worked out great.
Plenty strong and solid(I think the factory bracket was a bit of over kill.).
Try to follow up with photos later.

Can you post some photos? I am also thinking about getting the HT skid plate. If you had to buy a skid plate again would you go with HT?

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you post some photos? I am also thinking about getting the HT skid plate. If you had to buy a skid plate again would you go with HT?
Yes. Because its the most heavy duty of whats available.
I have been in contact with HT and the are working on a solution.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tim at Happy Trails E-mailed me today that they are sending me 2 different front brackets to test out. Will report on them soon.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Worked with the new brackets yesterday. They are a wider (1 1/4"X 1/8"). Left one went on perfect, but the right was designed for the 5/16" U-bolt. To tight under the bulge for the cam gear, so I drilled it for the 1 1/4" U-bolt. Lightly snugged that in place and found it slightly long at the top. Ground that down about 1/16" and it fit well when snugged. Then upon tightening it the 1/8" material was to flexable and it bent just enough to touch the cam cover. The 3/16" metal like the plate is should cure this.
Sent Tim all this and many photos. I'll update more later.
Photos of the 5/16 U-bolt mounted crossways(Not acceptable)
https://www.stromtrooper.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=243553&thumb=1
https://www.stromtrooper.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=243555&thumb=1
https://www.stromtrooper.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=243557&thumb=1
My bracket an theirs(After my mods)

https://www.stromtrooper.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=243559&thumb=1
After mods w/ 1/4" U-bolt

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will they ship the new bolts with the kit or would I have to ask them for it?
Sent Tim all the info from my Sunday work. Then Monday we talked and came up with, what I think, is the final solution. They are sending me new parts as soon as they finish making them.
Great people to work with. When you order I would mention which bars you have.
Had carpel tunnel surgery today, so I'll post up photos as soon as my hand will allow me to take them.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Ultimate solution would be a piece of metal that bends around the givi bar, and attaches with a single bolt below it. Then there are no height restriction issues, and less chance of anything jamming into the engine header when you hit a big rock.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts