StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that would like to do some work to it for me against payment of course?

I CAN take it to the suzy shop but there are quite a few things I was going to have done to it
and it's prolly gonna cost a pretty penny to get it done there and needless to say, I'm looking
to save some money on this.

I DO believe in supporting my local dealers and it’s a good thing to do for when you want to ask the occasional question but then, there IS the question of having the money.

I can pay cash or trade for stuff or my services. Whichever suits you better.
I have some Vee stuff if you’re interested.

Here’s what I need done: :headbang:

1. Stator is not charging so that needs to be replaced and possibly rectifier and magnets.
2. I’m getting the modified Clutch basket to fix the chudder.
3. Putting on a Stebel Horn bracket and horn
4. Adding some rocker switches to the bike
5. Adding volt meter
6. Hook up the brake lights to the Givi E55 Maxia case.
7. Fix the leaking reservoir (coolant and someone suspected it was leaking at this T connection)
8. Hook up the Shorai Li-Ion charging cable so that it’s outside and I don’t have to remove the seat to charge it.
9. Hook up lights and relays for the extra lights so that they’re ready to hook up
10. Replace levers because the ones I have now are a little far away for my fingers.
11. Replace grips with Grab On grips
12. Hook up a License plate LED
13. Disconnect the Park setting…”You can cut the brown wire from the ignition switch and connect the bike side of the cut brown wire to the green wire.”
14. Disconnect the cruise control kit
15. On off switch for the headlights

Right now, the bike isn’t charging the batteries at all and I literally can’t go anywhere so I’m in a bit of a hurry to get this done. I had made some plans based on having the bike and this of course throws a huge monkey wrench in them.

Thanks

George

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, cancel that, found someone.

Mods, feel free to delete thread if you'd like.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
See how well the work is done and do a vendor report. Threads like this may interest a number of people, not just you. Think communally rather than individually here.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's going to be done by an individual, not the suzy shop.....

Labor cost is about half of the shop price.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
If he does well and is interested in the possibility of more business, let us know.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okie dokie but be advised that I have NO technical knowledge so take my comments for what they are...

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Who is doing your clutch?

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Dang, sorry to hear that!
Did the PO inform you of all that needed to be done to the bike? Regardless, it will be a better ride when you are done.
I'm still learning my bike and plan to do the clutch mod as soon as I get over this bronchaitis crap.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry about you being sick bro.

Yes, I figured while I'm doing the stator go ahead and do the clutch too and a bunch of other stuff and yeah, you're right, that was my thinking. It'll get better when I'm done and I'll solve a lot of potential problems too, like the lights 'n such.

Also going to start selling LED bike lights (and light bars for bikes and trucks) so I'm gonna have it pre wired for some lights while he's at it and just pop'em on when I get'em.

That way if something happens to the battery in the future, I can turn the HID's off which apparently ONLY work if the battery's real good and turn one or two of the LED's on so I can make it home.

Had to ride home in the dark without lights one day, not cool.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Are you going to try for more voltage output with your stator repair?

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking about it but nope. Terry with the basket said that the aftermarket stators weren't as good as the stock so I decided not to and besides, I don't run anything heated and all I will really have hooked up are lights.

Also, I figured that you kinda gotta listen to a guy that can do this...
HIGH OUTPUT CHARGING SYSTEM

:)

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Being ignorant myself regarding the electrical system I started reading up on it after my last post. Doesn't look like much you can do in that area other than what you linked.
Feeling better. Doc said that if I wasn't breathing better by tomorrow then I need to go get a chest xray. Funny how that will make you heal fast. LOL!

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I'm ignorant about anything that's engine related so don't feel bad :headbang:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I'm generally ok with the mechanics. I have loads of experience with rebuilding my 4-stroke 450 and 250 mx bikes. Very similar valve train etc.
My biggest deterant for me regarding the V-Strom is having to remove all the plastic to access the motor. I want to check my TBS but have put it off due to fact that I have to be in the right mood. It's on my list.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good thing you didn't get a PC800 then (Honda Pacific Coast) which is one of the bikes I was considering before getting the Vee.

By the way, what's a TBS?

:headbang:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Throttle Body Syncronization. Common problem with the Vee is that the two TB's will get out of sync. Maybe not so bad on my new 2012 but I want to check it to be sure. However, based on what I have read on the forum and the current condition of your bike I would bet that yours is off. It is a simple proceedure but you need access to the TB's and a manometer.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-[-vee]/14395-throttle-body-synchronization-dl1000.html

Better yet:
How do I adjust my throttle bodies?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts