StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how long your spacers were, these springs are SHORT!

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Just wondering how long your spacers were, these springs are SHORT!
For the sake of comparison, a set of Sonic Springs, (.90wt), measure 16 3/4" long. The spacers for the springs, (installed in a 2007 DL-650), measure 3 7/8" long, (the spacer length allows for washers and the fork cap; about 3/4" of pre-load before the cap is installed.).

(Maybe this will help? :confused: )

B.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the sake of comparison, a set of Sonic Springs, (.90wt), measure 16 3/4" long. The spacers for the springs, (installed in a 2007 DL-650), measure 3 7/8" long, (the spacer length allows for washers and the fork cap; about 3/4" of pre-load before the cap is installed.).

(Maybe this will help? :confused: )

B.
Thanks Barry. It just might help with the baseline. The Race Tech springs are 12 1/4 long:confused:

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
Measure the spacers carefully, use a tube cutter and then file for accuracy. Start off with your preload adjusters screwed all of the way out..

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Is the bike supposed to sag with no rider on it?

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
That was informative, thanks!
I am working on my bike in the same area as you; suspension. I am trying to get to a place where I can "demystify" for myself and come to a "second nature" understanding of what needs to be done for ME, (and my type of riding.).

Part of that process is how I set the bike up for this Spring. I know what the bike will do at one extreme, (set too stiff), and I wanted to know what the bike would do at the other extreme; set up very soft.

Currently, the front has the OEM springs and 10wt oil. I ended up having a sag of 50mm which is about 15mm-18mm too much. My rear shock is a Hyperpro. I had too little pre-load in it and not enough rebound, (soft).

With the above setup, I could seriously blast over frost heaves and rough roads at high speeds. But, that's with the bike dead, straight up and down. (Check out the section of this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sLO5MsETGM, between the times of 1:04 > 1:06. I am riding at about 60+mph and loving it.). If I throw the bike into a sweeper, I am immediately on my "knees" saying my prayers; I've got a handlebar full of bike. If you add a good compression dip into that sweeper, or some frost heaves, I got some serious stuff going on! In very sharp corners, the bike wants to stand up; twice I have skidded up on a sidewalk on a turn that previously, I could lay the bike waaaaaaayyyyy over and track nicely through. Yesterday, while riding a couple of logging roads, I lost it twice while coming around turns; the bike just wouldn't track in a "groove" as it normally does for me, (I even stopped the bike, got off of it, walked around it a few times to see if anything had come unbolted or was leaking out of the bike to make it handle so poorly!).

Chalk it up to "in-the-field-testing". I just plain want to know what the extreme settings feel like and what they do to the bike.

As a temporary fix, (I just came back from a spirited test ride.), I cranked my fork pre-load all the way down; I am maxed out. I also added pre-load to the rear shock and stiffened up the rebound 5 "clicks".

After work tomorrow, I am going to slide out the OEM springs and slide back in my Sonic .90wt springs so that I can gain some pre-load adjustment back. I will also change to 12.5wt fork oil. I have ridden with this setup before, and it is a nice "middle-of-the-road" setup for me, (about 185lbs all geared up.).

BTW, I also have Race Tech Emulators installed with 1.25 turns on "yellow" springs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts