StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a privacy concern I'm contemplating using a VPN in the future. I know some of you guys are really into stuff like this, so I thought I'd seek out some info on here before relying on my own research. Can any of you recommend a reliable VPN service?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Here is a PC Magazine review: The Best VPN Services of 2017 | PCMag.com

Also, you can use Ixquick.com as a search engine (I do). They run a proxy over the google search engine.
On the ixquick start page you will see a page link "How We Protect You". Interesting.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is great info. I was just on the PC Magazine article supplied by NV Ducati, and I'm gradually starting to absorb this stuff. The prices don't seem to unreasonable either.

How does a VPN account work when you have another person living in the household that wants to use it too? I was assuming that access to the VPN was through some sort of passord (many years ago I had a work VPN that I accessed via a random number generated by a keyfob), but I don't know for sure. Can multiple people access the internet via the same VPN account, or is the account somehow user specific?

Bear with me...my computer knowledge is a bit rudimentary.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
T
How does a VPN account work when you have another person living in the household that wants to use it too? I was assuming that access to the VPN was through some sort of passord (many years ago I had a work VPN that I accessed via a random number generated by a keyfob), but I don't know for sure. Can multiple people access the internet via the same VPN account, or is the account somehow user specific?

Bear with me...my computer knowledge is a bit rudimentary.
Each company has a policy of how many devices can log on simultaneously. Might be 3 or might be 6, etc. Your household members will use it much the same as they use the household wifi / internet now. That is to say with the same login. Just that each device needs the VPN software.

And you only need to know about 16 current buzz words to be - not rudimentary ;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use a service called "Private Internet Access", it's $30 per year. It's not terribly fast, but I just use it for the things where I prefer anonymity over speed. If you were going to use it for all internet traffic I'd recommend paying more to get a higher speed service. With the recent changes to ISP consumer privacy laws, it's probably a good idea to be using a VPN for everything. I just haven't committed myself to paying more for a better service yet.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use a service called "Private Internet Access", it's $30 per year. It's not terribly fast, but I just use it for the things where I prefer anonymity over speed. If you were going to use it for all internet traffic I'd recommend paying more to get a higher speed service. With the recent changes to ISP consumer privacy laws, it's probably a good idea to be using a VPN for everything. I just haven't committed myself to paying more for a better service yet.
That was the one that I'd moved to the top of my list, since it seemed to be one of the best rated. I'll probably take the advice of the PC World article and try out a few of them for a month and see what works best for me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I started down this same road yesterday. Thought about it a couple of yrs ago and probably should have followed through then. I think the new gov't decisions have brought this stuff to the forefront for many people. I appreciate some of the other posters input.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I came here to endorse PIA as well. I have not found any significant performance issues, and want to point out that you can choose your connection country and/or region. Some are faster than others.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Interesting. I also have been sticking my toe in the water of a VPN, just because. One important issue for me, is, a----NON logging---- service, seems to defeat the purpose of a VPN if it keeps logs.

·
Registered
725 Posts
By using a VPN, is that preventing your ISP from tracking your internet use? Is this because your encrypted from home through the VPN?
I've fooled around with proxy servers (not the same as VPN), that seems to mask your location from beyond the proxy but your ISP will still see you before you pass through a proxy server.

Edit: I seem to remember reading a couple of years back that the US Government will not allow any encryption software that they haven't cracked yet to be distributed from within the US (free or otherwise) but that it is still legal to use it if you downloaded it from somewhere hosted outside of the US.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By using a VPN, is that preventing your ISP from tracking your internet use? Is this because your encrypted from home through the VPN?
I've fooled around with proxy servers (not the same as VPN), that seems to mask your location from beyond the proxy but your ISP will still see you before you pass through a proxy server.

Edit: I seem to remember reading a couple of years back that the US Government will not allow any encryption software that they haven't cracked yet to be distributed from within the US (free or otherwise) but that it is still legal to use it if you downloaded it from somewhere hosted outside of the US.
My understanding is that yes, it prevents the ISP from knowing your location, tracking your use, and collecting data on you that they can monetize and sell to others. And thanks to our wonderful senate, needing a VPN is pretty much a necessity now. The analogy I read was that you can leave your house in a car, and people can see you leave, and can see where you go, and can even look in your car when they want to. The VPN is like leaving your house through a secret tunnel and driving to a private covered parking garage; no one sees when you left, where you went, and can't look in your car and see what's in there. I'm not worried so much about the government tracking me; I simply assume they can, and I don't go on any sites that are illegal or would attract serious attention. I just don't want freaking Spectrum Cable and Verizon to be following me around constantly and keeping track of what I look at, having access to anything I send over the net (including emails!), and selling my info to others. Big Business and our stalwart government can go screw themselves on this one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use Pure VPN on occasion when i want to go to a site i`m not sure of, don't get any local pop up`s been using it for about 18months now no problems.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've been using PIA for almost a year now. I combine it with a router that runs DD_WRT firmware (allot of documentation out on the net for it).
I have the router connect to PIA and then say what devices use it... been great so far and basically seamless. We have a few Internet capable devices in the house and this setup lets me centrally decide which use VPN and which do not without having to install software on devices.
Nice thing if you split and install on individual devices, you can easily turn it on and off depending on what your doing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just signed up for IPVanish. So far so good. The speed is good enough that I do not notice a speed differnce when on the VPN.

·
Registered
270 Posts
What new government laws ?
Last time I tried a VPN is when I had dial-up. Wicked slow, bailed after about two hours.
I just got PIA VPN ( Private Internet Access ) and am delighted. Zero speed reduction with my least expensive and slowest connection that my ISP offers.
Good price. I used a Home Depot gift card for $50 for a full year. Easy to use, and can set up five devices.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts