StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has had their valves checked after 14,500 miles yet and if so if they were in spec or not. I am at that point but have to travel for work and wondering if I need to get it checked before I leave or if it can wait. Thanks, Vinny

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Checked mine at 15,000 miles and all valves were in spec but 2 exhaust valves were on the tight end. Will check them again later this summer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
21,000 for my first check. All valves were tight, but I ride the crap out of the bike- lots of hard acceleration and high rpm.
edit: I should note that I did swap the cams prior to checking the valves, so I don't know what the stock clearances were- just put the new cams in and checked the clearances.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
checking the valves is fairly easy...just some dis-assembly required... :green_lol:

i checked mine at 14K miles and two exhausts were on the tight side and the rest were tight of the middle...but all still in spec...i left them alone for this summer as i needed the strom for commuting...but i plan on digging back into them this winter and adjusting all of them into the middle of spec and then leaving them...i only want to do it once...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a shop check mine a month ago at 17,500 miles. The intake was in spec, but the exhaust was out. Can't remember which way though. I also tend to ride in the higher RPMs longer.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
21,000 for my first check. All valves were tight, but I ride the crap out of the bike- lots of hard acceleration and high rpm.
edit: I should note that I did swap the cams prior to checking the valves, so I don't know what the stock clearances were- just put the new cams in and checked the clearances.
I'm curious about changing your camshafts. Do you have a Vee or a Wee? Which cams did you switch to? I believe SVs and TLs have a different grind than the DL.

·
38,103 Posts
If you changed the cams for more power they would have more lift. It stands to reason the clearances would be tight.

·
Registered
712 Posts
After a swap of camshafts, your clearances can be anywhere, regardless of lift. You are measuring the clearance with the valves fully closed, at the cam base circle. This base circle can vary from one cam to another, even between some with the same designed lift or even with the same part number.

Checking your valve clearance right after changing the cam will tell you little about the clearance before the cam change. If the valves are still fully operational, still sealing well, at least you can surmise that the clearances likely weren't way too tight before the swap.

my $.02

Marc

·
38,103 Posts
V-Strom valve clearances are not set at the base circle of the cam. They are set by indexing the appropriate mark on the rotor with the case and checking the cam orientation as to whether it is correct or 360 degrees off. A is for the front cylinder and B for the rear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts