StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have a set of home-made highway pegs that are simple to make and relatively inexpensive? I'm starting to setup my bike (07 DL100) for a 10 hr ride (each way) and I would like to have a set of highway pegs.

Unfortunately, I don't have any engine guards yet so I'm wondering what others have done. I have the basic tools, but don't have any special fabricating tools. I also have to buy tires and a few other necessities so I'm looking for cheap.

Let's see what ya got! Please include materials and approx cost, plus how well they work. I really don't care about aesthetics right now.

·
Registered
384 Posts
If you don't already have a cracker box welder and a cutting torch and various metal bits you probably won't save any $$$ over just ordering some pegs off the internet. I use the Happy Trails peg/bar combo. I think it was about $50 and hooks up on my skid plate.

The wife doesn't have the leg length for that, so I ordered a cheapo set of Drag Specialties folding footpegs for her. They were $35 including shipping and clamp on her Fehling crash bars.

·
Registered
714 Posts
You gotta have crash bars and or a skid plate in order to have somewhere to hang the pegs. Otherwise you'd have to mount them to the frame, which would not be a good idea........

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I also have the Happy Trails pegs ($50) which mount to the skid plate. One thing I tried which didn't work well was to have a friend weld a set of pegs to my crash bars. They were super solid but created A LOT of vibration at highway speeds that I had to take the hack saw to them. I did see one guy who attached a wooden pole (like a broomstick, painted black) to his crash bars, right across the front below the radiator, and securing it with 2 hose clamps. He said it worked well.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I weld and fabricate lots of things and I am certain I could make some effective hiway pegs (without crash bars), but it is such a low priority I have not taken the time to make em--I made several other changes that make me not worry much about making them. I went to a Corbin seat, lower footpegs, different handlebars, and I have little need for the hiway pegs. But now that the subject has come up I may get back on the job and make some.
I am tall and have done some 750 mile days, and on those occasions I would have used them if I had them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yann's (Narcosis Junkie) skidplate and highway pegs work great if you're up for that sort of investment. Pretty decent price and great performance. I have the older style bolt on the bottom model but his latest model is more streamlined.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yann's (Narcosis Junkie) skidplate and highway pegs work great if you're up for that sort of investment. Pretty decent price and great performance. I have the older style bolt on the bottom model but his latest model is more streamlined.
+1 on Yann's :hurray:. I also have the Happy Trails on my other bike...no comparison! I've home-brewed solutions before (including the broomstick and "clamp on's") and hey will get you by, but Yann's setup is the bomb! The stainless steel alone makes it worth the price difference over HT.:fineprint:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I made a home made set that clamped to my Givi bars but the back of the front fender would impact it when the front end would dive and the fender was getting scratched up.
Combining this problem with the fact I never used them all that much even on really long trips made me decide to remove them again...

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a pair of $25 highway pegs off amazon and attached them to my Givi engine guards. Didn't work too well, the angles make the pegs point downward and the bars get in the way of using them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I made these with some old handlebar clamps (from an '80-something Kawi 440 LTD), some 1" steel tube, 2 spare bar ends and some Sure-Step (I think?) sticky step paper stuff. They could be a bit longer (they'd look a bit ridiculous) but they work quite nicely and were basically free to me.

I drilled and tapped the bar ends to screw onto the studs in the handlebar clamps, so the bar ends are the nut that holds it all together basically. The silver ring is a big lock washer to keep it all together.

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Home made. I used passanger pegs before I bought extra set on Ebay . About 20 $ for tubs and bolts ,never really cared. Square tubbing at Menards size 3/4 I think. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I made a set somewhat like Vessel's using 1/4" Al plate and a 3/8" threaded rod at the bottom. They were easy to make and really work well.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Home made. I used passanger pegs before I bought extra set on Ebay . About 20 $ for tubs and bolts ,never really cared. Square tubbing at Menards size 3/4 I think. Hope this helps.
Simple and easy, but it looks like a single mounting point, don't they pivot under pressure?

just out of curiosity, what's that huge yellow part under the stock fairing????

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I used passenger pegs off my other bike (she has her own bikes - 2), bent some 3/8" "all thread" rod into a "U" and bolted them to the crash bars using the OEM holes from the Yamaha, a little black paint, done deal - when bolting them to your crash bars you can play with the height a bit.
Keep huntin' this bunch comes up with some of the neatest stuff I've ever seen. This site has tons of great info

·
Registered
80 Posts
Simple and easy, but it looks like a single mounting point, don't they pivot under pressure?
Yes, its a single mounting point. For a while I had it rest ( slightly ) on the exhaust pipe with so far no rubbing marks on the pipe or the bar. I stretch my legs, rest my feet there, but NO STANDING on it .
just out of curiosity, what's that huge yellow part under the stock fairing????
It's a lower fairing.:green_lol: Seriously, I bought it used on this site , got it painted, made some brackets and put it on.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Home Made

I created these out of a length of bar bought at homedepot, pegs from ebay and painted with bbq paint. The total cost was under $30. That being said I'd rate them as "better than nothing". Ideally they would be lower and about 6 inches back.
Rich

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts