StromTrooper banner

Anyone have any experience with saddleman seats?

6K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  vboost 
#1 ·
Looking for a replacement seat for my '09 650. A friend recommended saddleman. I have no experience with them and looking to hear what others say.
I know Russell makes great ones - at a price. Saddleman seems to be not a whole lot cheaper.
Your thoughts?

#2 ·
My DL650 has a Saddlemens Carbon Adventure Track, a model no longer available but similar to 2002-2013 DL1000 (02-13) & DL650 (04-11) V-STROM Adventure Track Seat (1 pc, 2up) - V-Strom Touring , -but I would not be interested in a suede featured seat, even though said to be waterproof, it will still hold the water.

It is quite firm and I sit higher, even with the gel lining. I have found my seat to be far more comfortable for far longer than the OEM. I would also add that after six years it is still as new, and did not sag like the OEM before it, and made to a far higher quality. Mind you, with it's fibreglass base etc it is also far heavier than the OEM.

I have never used the Russell day long but from others' reports and looking at many pics I would think that they would be more comfortable for long days in the saddle.

#5 ·
Ive got one, but its only good for me if I limit myself too 250-300 miles in a day.
Same with my Sargent, OEM even less.
My butt prefers Corbin.
Everyone has a different like, so if you can find a local around and maybe swap the seat for a day you can get a better feel.
Where are you located?
Mike

#9 ·
Saddlemen makes the Suzuki OEM gel seats for all generations, which are good seats (and don't suck up water). I've used the Saddlemen Suzuki OEM gel on a 2007 and a 2013 650 and found them both to be well made and comfortable.

#11 ·
I had the suede covered version. The fact that the cover soaks up water and takes forever to dry is a big problem. I solved that with a Sit&Fly cover. Other than the sued issue the gel gets real hot if the bike is left in the sun for a while, you need to put some shade cover (old towel or …) over it.

Apart from that I really liked it a lot. Its a little higher than stock ( the WEE version). Easy do 10+ hours on it. Its flat and you can move a bit on it and works like a larger road bicycle seat. Sold the WEE and the seat.

NEVA20 Rally: Catskills NY - Cooperstown - Woodstock
Save The Dates: July 31 to August 2, 2020
WWW.NEVA20.COM
NEVA20 - July 31 to August 2, 2020 - Catskills NY - Cooperstown - Woodstock

#13 ·
Its a little higher than stock ( the WEE version). Easy do 10+ hours on it. Its flat and you can move a bit on it and works like a larger road bicycle seat. Sold the WEE and the seat.
I am currently running the Saddleman Adventure Tour seat. Similar to @Brockie's and @blaustrom's seat, but the channel is covered over, and no suede. This seat has changed the bike totally.

Granted, I also put on the SW-Motech Ion footpegs in the low position at the same time. The two things created a lot of room for me in the cockpit, which was amazing.

Back to the seat, it is insanely comfortable. Very much an all-day seat for me. Very little moving around. And, it's flatter - it doesn't force you into the tank as much (your plums will thank you...).

Highly recommended as an upgrade.

Reactions: Brockie
#12 ·
Take a look at seat concepts if you are cost conscious. Had a Saddlemen and it was only good for about 150 miles for me. Seat concepts works much better. $214

#14 ·
I have a Saddlemen Adventure Track seat for my 2009 Vstrom 650 and I do not like it even a little bit. For me, it is just way too hard and I cannot ride it for more than a half hour. It also sits me up higher. It looks real nice, and is very well made. I wish I could sell it or trade it for a Russel or Corbin. I currently have a Sargent on it, which is not perfect, but it is better, for me, than the Saddlemen. I realize seats are subjective, depending on personal taste and height and weight.

#16 · (Edited)
I've been running a Saddelmen Adventure Track for about 5-6 years now, and I still really like it. It's still very comfortable - for me, it's roomy and flat. The stock seat on my 2006 (same as your 2009) killed my arse at the 1hour mark.....While I'm no Ironbutt marathon rider, I've taken day trips on my vstrom and other than sitting for hours (and all the all over stiffness and body aches that can cause), the seat is a welcome addition. It did take about a summer of riding for the seat to finally break in, and years later the foam and gel are still very supportive and the seat looks great still. Here's my setup for day rides - I fill a dry bag up with stuff as a back rest (I have spine issues).
I did have a Rick Mayer custom seat prior - it's one of those tractor style bucket type seats. They are very comfy because they support your lower thigh extremely well, but I found being locked into a bucket made me feel claustrophobic. Until I got that Rick Mayer bucket seat, I hadn't realized how much I shift around while riding. The Saddlemen seat feels a little taller (small bonus for the knees!), wider than the stocker, and supports the lower thigh a lot better than the stock seat, which is why I believe it's way more comfy. I scotchguarded the suede like 10 M'fers, but it still will hold only a tiny bit of water - I'd not get the suede again, but I've obviously learned to live with it! The split channel is really nice too - you actually get a little ventilation down there too....Seats are very 'love em or hate em' so you're really just rolling the dice. I lucked out and really like mine. Good luck.

#17 ·
Thanks for all the good info folks. I have decided to go with Terry Adcox. His seats look like a Russell at about half the price, and have heard good reports. Hope to get mine before he takes his summer vacation.
"Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances."

#19 ·
I have a Saddleman Adventure Track for my 2009 Weestrom. I do not like it, not even a little bit. It is very hard. I will never put it on again. I had it on Craigslist for 3 months, couldn't even sell it or barter it. I felt as if I am sitting on two 2x4's lying on their sides. I currently have a Mustang seat, which I do not like much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.