StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone in the Toronto area has a bike that is already lowered. I am an experienced rider but I am only 5'8 on a good day. I am getting my 650 on Saturday and from what I've read the bike is a bit top heavy. I'd like to try a lowered one for comparison to see if it would be worth while lowering mine.

I would also like to know what adverse effects the lowering has. I don't intend to cross any streams but I do intend to ride a good bit of gravel. Will the lowering be a problem

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bill,

I'm 5'9" and have no trouble going flat footed on my 07 wee... Stick with stock and just ride. You'll love the bike.

Reibs

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and even lowered 3/4 of an inch can not flat foot the bike, just watch for loose stuff under foot.

Kevin

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm 5'6" and am on tippy toes. It really makes you think about where your feet are when coming to a stop. Also makes it hard to back the bike up. I wouldn't consider lowering the bike, though.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm 5'6" with 31 inseem and am on my tippy toes. I was thinking about lowering it but after riding for 2 weeks no need. The wee is ok for me.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have lowered my 650 & love it. At 5'5" I am now on the balls of my feet.
The forks can be raised 3/4 of an inch, that will keep your head lights from needing adjustment if you put a set of longer dog bones on yourunderside.
The simplest thing I did was to remove the four black rubber blocks on the seat. If you don't like it, press them back in place. Having a firm footing is no joke & it could keep you out of a intersection tip over. Some riders will crank on the rear mono shock till it is at its lowest position. That will limit travel on a rough road. Whatever you do, it will be right for you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm 5'6" and am on tippy toes. It really makes you think about where your feet are when coming to a stop. Also makes it hard to back the bike up. I wouldn't consider lowering the bike, though.
5'6" with a 29' inseam. While I can happily ride the Strom without lowering I found dropping an inch front & rear made a great deal of difference. I haven't found any great difference with ground clearance, infact the only time I scrapped anything was on my Rospa (advanced) test recently and the examiner said I was making good progress !

·
Registered
36 Posts
The simplest thing I did was to remove the four black rubber blocks on the seat. If you don't like it, press them back in place. Having a firm footing is no joke & it could keep you out of a intersection tip over. Some riders will crank on the rear mono shock till it is at its lowest position. That will limit travel on a rough road. Whatever you do, it will be right for you.
When you removed the rubber blocks from the seat did you find the ride rough? I've also dialed the rear shock down as far as it will go. I find when I come to a stop, a little shift in weight to the left and I can flat foot on that side.

Although I wouldn't lower the bike, I do know that I'll drop at some point in time because of the height. So I have added the engine guards and luggage to protect it.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I might as well put in my .2 worth...

I am 5'7" and only a 29" inseam....I cant flatfoot even with one foot unless I have a passenger or tour load. I just got used to it. I had initially looked at lowering the bike, but never bothered.

Cheers!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Long Way for a test ride?

Thanks all
I'm continually amazed by this forum.
Imagine comments from Florida and Ireland on the Canadian site.
Certainly looks like mixed opinions on the lowering.
I'd still like to try one out, but Ireland is a bit far at this point.
Maybe next year.
Cheers Bill

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I'm only 5'5" but my inseam length is 31". In spite of that I am tippy toe on the VStrom. I've been riding for 20 years and feel quite comfortable stopping on one foot or being tippy toe at a stop but I will be lowering my bike. (Lowering links are being shipped right now)

Tippy toe is fine if you never leave pavement and always have a level, smooth surface to stop on but just get into one rutted road, pot holed driveway, gravel hill or slippery grass and one could be in trouble. For me, the whole point of owning this style of bike is to be able to navigate these types of obstacles.
I've been riding my much lower Harley thru water filled canyon washes, potholed forest roads and gravel mountain roads for 20 years and feel the only reason I was quite successful at that was because I could get my feet firmly flat on the ground every time I stopped.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Gotta agree with footloose about varied surfaces. Only took a week to drop my bike when stopping on a gravel surface. Really shook my confidence. Lowered both ends and was/am still happy even with the added height of a gel seat. I have the rear preload set at maximum so there is still a little more room to lower it. With the preload dropped down a bunch the side stand is a challenge to put down when we are two up.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I'm 5'7" with a 32" inseam (yes I have been blessed :mrgreen: ) and I lowered my 05 after I had 30,000km on the odo. I lowered it primarily ofr easier loading of passengers. The 07 Wee hasn't been lowered as of yet, but I do have the Kouba Links. If you are interested in lowering links without a shipping hassle from the USA I have a connection for $40.00 cdn plus shipping. Never had the connection when I ordered my Kouba links. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
You didn't receive advice from Hungary yet: ;)

1. You can start with front fork raising by a few millimeters (10-20). (That also makes cornering easier.)
  2. If you lower the back with longer links (aka dogbones) it is recommended to raise the forks as well.(to not weaken the original suspension geometry)
  3. If the bike is lowered as written above do not install (or take it off if already on) SW-Motech center stand. That combination reduces the ground clearance too much (sometimes dangerous even on straight but bumpy roads)!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Decision made

Thanks for the input.
Even though I'm just 5'8 I felt comfortable on the wee right away. This is a very friendly motorcycle. On some of the rougher paved roads I was able to go faster on my wee(probably because it is silver grey) than my Buell and the Buell is pretty good in the corners. Despite this I just have the gut feeling it will be even better if it is lowered. So on Thursday next week I am having it lowered along with the 1000km check up. As noted, I can always change it back. I'll report back once it is lowered.
Thanks for all the advice
Bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts