StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've currently got a 5th Gen VFR and am thinking of switching to a 08 or newer weeStrom. I'm looking for a bike that can do decent touring, the occasional fire road, and can be left on the streets of NYC without so much worry about getting stolen or broken plastics from asshats that can't park. The wee pretty much has all of that down.

But I'm curious if anyone's gone the same, or similar route, and what the thoughts are. Did you regret the move? How did the bikes compare as tourers?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've had 2 vfr's (6th gen) and recently went to a bike quite a bit like the Wee.

The ergo's are quite different obviously. the seat height is higher. The power of the V-4 is definitely greater but for real world use, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Touring you'd much prefer the Wee. The vfr, after a few hours, especially if you're a bit older, well, my back was killing me. And, there's a ton of aftermarket stuff for the Wee as compared to the VFR. The options are a bit overwhelming there are that many.

Personally, I'll never go back to a more 'sport' style bike. Never gonna happen. I'm mostly an around town rider. Occasionally a trip with some camping, but not often. My bike (kawa Versys) and other bikes similar to the Wee, are the tops in my book. Great gas mileage, great around town, some off road (Wee is really good at this), some travel...

they have it all. Enjoy!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I checked the Versys out at the IMS and it felt pretty good to sit on, even lighter than the V.

You're right - the power of the VFR is definitely better, but at the end of the day, I constantly ask myself if I NEED it all. Is it fun, and does it sound awesome? Yes. But at the end of the day, it goes back to the want vs need argument. Kind of why I recently went from a V6 to a I4 carwise. At the end of the day, practical won me over.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
But I'm curious if anyone's gone the same, or similar route, and what the thoughts are. Did you regret the move? How did the bikes compare as tourers?
No, I kept them both.

Going from a VFR to a V-Strom is about like going from a Corvette to a Blazer.

My VFR is my preferred touring bike. I prefer leaning forward slightly, and I'm 60 years old. I've done 600 mile days on my VFR and 500 mile days on my V-Strom. At the end of the day I could have gone some more on my VFR but not on my V-Strom.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I kept them both.

Going from a VFR to a V-Strom is about like going from a Corvette to a Blazer.

My VFR is my preferred touring bike. I prefer leaning forward slightly, and I'm 60 years old. I've done 600 mile days on my VFR and 500 mile days on my V-Strom. At the end of the day I could have gone some more on my VFR but not on my V-Strom.
If I could, I'd keep both as well, but that isn't an option. How's the power difference when touring? Do you ever feel like the Strom doesn't have enough power? Also, where are you on the tach when cruising around 70mph, and, does it feel buzzy?

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
If I could, I'd keep both as well, but that isn't an option. How's the power difference when touring? Do you ever feel like the Strom doesn't have enough power? Also, where are you on the tach when cruising around 70mph, and, does it feel buzzy?
The power difference is, as I said, about like the difference between a Corvette and a Blazer. I've never felt like my V-Strom doesn't have enough power but there have been many occasions when I missed the power of my VFR.

MY V-Strom has a front sprocket that is one tooth larger than stock which lowered the RPM by about 500 at in 6th gear. RPM vs. speed in 6th now is virtually identical to my VFR with stock gearing. It is also nowhere near as smooth as the VFR. The VFR engine is smooth as silk whereas the V-Strom engine is, contrary to the opinion of many, not as smooth as silk in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
I really don't know how this may help, but anyway - - a good friend let go his much loved 800 vfr to pick up a new Dr600 dual sport......he freekin has had a new lease on life once he got rid of ol' well groomed......

Life is better on the rougher edge....hedge yer bets, and go Strommin'!

·
Registered
808 Posts
My Alaska buddy has ridden my Wee but I don't think it makes him want to give up his VFR...

@70mph on the dalton highway:

·
Registered
875 Posts
I had the original VFR when it was new, in the late 80s :mrgreen:. My first street bike. I prefer the Wee for several reasons. I'm over 6 feet tall and the Wee is built for tall people not 5 foot 6 Japanese men, I don't ride over 100 MPH, I ride roads that are sometimes less than autobahn smooth, and I like the simplicity of service.

The VFR is a fine bike and I enjoyed mine, but in my opinion the day of the sport touring bike aping the appearance and ergos of a track bikes is dying, the new generation of sport touring bike is going to look like an adventure bike. AKA the new Multistrada. Or the Wee.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input, guys. I posted the VFR for sale, and will see how things go. If it sells, I'll be joining the Strom crowd.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I just sold my 1050 Sprint on Saturday. It might be "more" VFR than a VFR.

If someone asked me four years ago which I would have picked between the two-Sprint or DL650, I would have laughed. Notice though I sold the Triumph. Still a great bike and it wasn't for ergo reasons. I just tired of it and the Strom, in its simplicity is just as fun to ride and more practical, especially if you get a used one that you don't have to be as concerned about. I know I am going to enjoy riding this year more as it will be more about the ride and less about the bike.

As far as regrets (I know mine was not a VFR, but very similar), I am delighted my other bike is gone and there is an empty space there. For a short while, I was thinking of my third bike, but then it hit me; I only want ONE! Absolutely crazy I know, but definitely no remorse. Now if those pesky thoughts about new DL650s and Thruxtons would just go away!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I can't answer just yet and you listed your VFR anyway, but I have a new 2012 to pick up this week and kept my VFR. Hopefully they can exist peacably in the same space until I decide I like one better than the other.

I have Helibars on the VFR so it is plenty comfortable but still not as upright as the V-Strom.

·
Registered
875 Posts
It's not so much being upright that makes me like my Strom more than my old VFR...I love how the strom soaks up all the crappy road surfaces. The VFR was happiest on well surfaced roads, which are becoming increasingly scarce here in CA . The strom just floats over crappy roads.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you think they're scarce in CA, you should come to NYC. :headbang:

KByte, chime in when you get the Vstrom and let me know your initial impressions.

Maybe I should put up a FT ad here?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well, I have the new V-strom and have put about 1200 miles on it.

I like it a lot and now I have to consider selling the VFR!

I admit to getting on in years, and the sit-up position on V-strom really is easier on my body. The accelleration and braking, although not up to the VFR, is still more than enough and I am anxious to get some side cases and take a trip on it.

The suspension is surprisingly good. I am used to changing springs, shock, fork oil, etc, pretty quickly after getting a bike but this one, so far is very good. I have Jesse bags ordered and if they ever arrive I will re-evaluate the suspension with the extra weight on it.

I will answer any specific questions you have here or by PM.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I had the original VFR when it was new, in the late 80s :mrgreen:. My first street bike. I prefer the Wee for several reasons. I'm over 6 feet tall and the Wee is built for tall people not 5 foot 6 Japanese men, I don't ride over 100 MPH, I ride roads that are sometimes less than autobahn smooth, and I like the simplicity of service.

The VFR is a fine bike and I enjoyed mine, but in my opinion the day of the sport touring bike aping the appearance and ergos of a track bikes is dying, the new generation of sport touring bike is going to look like an adventure bike. AKA the new Multistrada. Or the Wee.
+1, Or the new Tiger Explorer 1200 :thumbup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the responses and info. So far, the members of this forum have been very helpful. Flanker, your review was great, and insightful. Kbyte, can't believe you already put 1,200 miles on the new ride!

I sold my VFR earlier this week, and will be taking one last ride some time in April, as the buyer is in Wisconsin, and we worked out a deal that'll have me delivering it to him. Now the search for the wee is on!

·
Registered
350 Posts
When I bought my wee, I really wanted a VFR because they are so sexy. But I decided that the wee was the bike for me because it fits the riding that I do. I shouldn't be riding above 80 MPH anyway. But I do a lot of riding around town, lower speed twisties and crappy pavement. That is exactly what the wee is good for. High footpegs also hurt my knees which was a strike against the VFR. I do find that the wee hurts by back a little more than my old bike (honda 919) which had a riding position more like the VFR. I have some replacement handlebars ordered that I expect to fix that problem. The riding position is a lot cheaper and easier to change on a bike with handlebars than clipons.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
A big thank you to all who responded to my post. Your responses helped me with my decision, and I'm happy to say that I picked up an orange 09 weeStrom with just 2K on the clock, last weekend.

My initial impression is as follows: as some said, they're two very different bikes. My last ride on the VFR was to deliver it to its new owner in Wisconsin (I'm in NYC), and my first ride on the wee was a similar, but not as long, slab back home. So far, I would say that the VFR is a much more precise machine - better brakes, better suspension, better power. That's obvious and expected. In comparison, the VStrom is a more mellow ride, much more relaxed, but nonetheless willing to play. The one I picked up has a Givi windshield and offered EXCELLENT wind protection. My allergies were acting up, and being able to lift the faceshield on my modular helmet to scratch my nose was awesome, mainly because I was barely getting any wind on my face. The brakes on the wee don't offer the same immediate stopping power, but it's something that I just have to get used to. Same goes for the suspension - the wee has a good amount of front end dive when the brakes are engaged - the VFR, with its linked brakes, just squats. But, on bumpy, pothole filled roads, the wee shines. It soaks them up quite well, with much less harshness. It also has very good road pretense - the height gives very good views, and you're a lot more visible on this bike.

I'm really looking forward to putting some more miles on it - in the twisties, on NYC streets, and on long rides. Thanks again for all your input.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts