StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 2012 V-Strom on order, am deciding between Scorpion and B&B Bash Plate.

My current 2008 DL650A has SW-Motech bash plate & crash bars fitted, but not keen on SW-Motech for 2012 model having front mounting tabs to the engine rather than the crash bar.

Scorpion does mount to crash bar but not sure about B&B - have asked for mounting details but not received as yet

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
B&B have always mounted to the front cylinder head. I can't see why they would change for the 2012 model.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Can't help with the new ones, but you can mount a B&B to crash bars and remove the engine mount.Many of us have. I used a couple of alli tabs and pipe clamps to hold mine. Not pretty, but it works.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My simple fix

This is the B&B bracket for the 2012, ugly as a hat full and yes it does bolt to the exhaust flange

I have SWmotech crash bars and this is what I have done to get away from the B&B idea.

Its just a piece of 140x75 10mm flat ally bar that i shaped and drilled some holes in and it fits perfectly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you to all for your helpful suggestions, it's magnificent how much help and info we get from here.

Apologies for late reply.

Picked up new white V-strom, fitted with Scorpion bash plate and SW-Motech crash bars, and all went well.

Some pics attached

Now 2 weekends, 2,000 km, 2-up fully loaded and love it, - My '08 model was great, but the new model is just so sweet, would recommend to anyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Given that the B&B mounts to the front cylinder head, if you need to remove the bash plate for an oil-change, or for whatever reason, does the mount stay in place or are you having to remove this every time you remove the plate?

Whilst I don't mind disturbing the bolts once when I fit it initially, I don't much like the idea of mucking about with head bolts every time I need to remove the plate.

If I modify it to mount to the SW-Motech bars as shown in the excellent pictures above, is the mounting as strong as the original system? Not, I hasten to add, that I'm intending to drag it over rocks & logs!

I really like the look of the B&B bash plate.... It's simple, elegant, beautifully welded and looks to be very sturdy & I also love the idea of supporting Aussie made.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Given that the B&B mounts to the front cylinder head, if you need to remove the bash plate for an oil-change, or for whatever reason, does the mount stay in place or are you having to remove this every time you remove the plate?

Whilst I don't mind disturbing the bolts once when I fit it initially, I don't much like the idea of mucking about with head bolts every time I need to remove the plate.

If I modify it to mount to the SW-Motech bars as shown in the excellent pictures above, is the mounting as strong as the original system? Not, I hasten to add, that I'm intending to drag it over rocks & logs!

I really like the look of the B&B bash plate.... It's simple, elegant, beautifully welded and looks to be very sturdy & I also love the idea of supporting Aussie made.
The plate itself comes off quite easily without removing the bracketry.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a enduro guardian skid plate on my 2013 strom, cost a fair bit to get it here about $300 including postage, it's the aluminum version, light and strong I'm very happy with it, and it mounts to the crash bars instead of cylinder head (which I really didn't want)

Also got his radiator guard too. Can post pics if anyone wants :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yeah, his stuff is awesome, but the freight cost put me off...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah but the way I looked at it is a b&b bash plate was $300+ and the enduro guardian came in at $320 delivered so was roughly the same price in the end,

I'll put some pics up when I get home (my phone won't let me) it really is a quality product

1 - 13 of 13 Posts