StromTrooper banner

Anyone familiar with Fortuna area, Mattole Road?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Sgt. BawlSaq 
#1 ·
Planning a trip in late May across Hwy 36 from Redding. About 3 years ago and friend and I did the same trip and stopped in Fortuna. Using advice from the Pashnit forum, I somehow found my way out of Fortuna, back to the southwest on a county road that was pock-marked and full of potholes, but it wound it's way out thru some beautiful rolling countryside to the ocean. The road then works south and eventually comes back in the west side of Humboldt Red Woods park. In looking at the Google map of the area, my best guess is this is Mottole Road? If anyone is familiar with this road I'd appreciate an updated road report and how to find it coming out of Fortuna. Has it been repaved or still in bad shape? How do you find it, seems like we rode south thru town on Main street, then back southwest-erly thru the residential neighborhood and out of town. Thanks!

Ronnie

#3 ·
Yes, that may be the road (I thought it was Fortuna). I see that Ferndale is just west of Fortuna and Hwy 211 runs west/southwest out of Ferndale down to the coast, past the Fern Cottage Historic Village. Anyone familiar with Hwy 211? What shape is it in now?

Ronnie

#4 ·
I live in Fortuna. I have a Wee Strom & ride only on short weekend jaunts. You're talking about what is locally referred to as "The Wildcat"...that's what they call the Mattole road you speak of. Yes, it begins on the far end of the victorian village of Ferndale. You go thru the tiny community of Petrolia. There are a few spots where you'll be high above the ocean bluffs with green rolling grass & feel as if you're in Ireland. I have not ridden this for awhile, but a friend with a cruiser recently told me he did it and would not do it again untill "they fixed the poyholes"...but that ain't gonna happen. Very beautiful and remotely isolated road......

#5 ·
I've done Mattole Road a couple of times. It's the reason why V-Stroms exist. :thumbup:

It's labeled on some online maps as Hwy. 211 all the way to Honeydew and beyond, but AFAIK the actual state highway designation ends at Ferndale.

While we're in the area, has anyone done Wilder Ridge Rd.? A few years ago I took a wrong turn at Honeydew and ended up on its lower portion, which was steep hairpins covered in deep gravel. If I hadn't been riding with 2 friends -- both on CBRs -- I might have kept going... but what's on the other side?

#6 ·
That would be Mattole Rd. From 101 there is a exit sign. From 101 all the way to Honeydew the pavement is poor. Poor enough that it shook a ground loose on my ST1100. There are some areas where the Redwoods have lifted the asphalt and narrowed the lane width to where you wonder if a car can get through. My last trip down that road I had to move over to let a SUV go between the trees first. Other than that the scenery is top notch. On a Strom this is all easy going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.