StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm super bored so I've been doing most of my errands on the bikes. Occasionally there is a box that I need to pick up that is too big for my cases, but doesn't weigh much. I was thinking that some sort of bigger platform that snapped onto my givi top case mount would be really handy - where I could strap a box down to it - preferably around the stock luggage rack for extra strength. Anyone done something like this? For the moment I'm thinking just a piece of plywood with holes cut so that the 3 mounting points can go through the plywood and let the straps hold it down.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yea don't use wood. It'll fatigue from the vibrations and fail quicker than aluminum or steel.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I guess this will work well enough for what I need to do tomorrow. I've got sheets of HDPE sitting around and it is relatively stiff. Ultimately I want something that utilizes the latch plate in the same way a top case does, so longer term I'll weld something up in aluminum. This is just a 24x14 piece of HDPE with holes that allow the 3 point mount to pass through the piece and it is screwed down with 2 screws just to keep it from moving while loading. The real strength is that the ratchet straps are running all the way under the stock aluminum luggage rack. Guess I'll see how it works in the morning.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Several guys over on the Concours forums have used big HDPE "cutting boards" for cargo mounts with good success. Most places like Fred Meyer or Target or (shudder) Wal-Mart sell them. Maybve you know of TAP plastics, if not here's a link to them. They have all kinds of plastic sheeting, blocks, etc.

·
Registered
437 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts