StromTrooper banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Vendor
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Just trying to get the environment back into some sort of balance...Oil burners rule!. But these things handle remarkably well for a 50+ year old bike. View attachment 272743

I have often wondered why no one has made an "Millyard style" Titan 1000. Seems as straight foward as some of his other in line fours and fives. It woudl take three or four engines to do it, but it would be cool. Probably get at least 13 mpg too!

·
Registered
18 Posts
2 huskys '70 250 cross,78 390 or, 75 yam 650B hon ct 90 yam at 125 78 tri 90 bmw k75 rt( not sure if classic but 30 yr old) other stuff plus 14 650 v strom (not classic yet ) some other stuff too every thing i have is classic even me ( i think, maybe just old fart)

·
Registered
18 Posts
seems there was a thread awhile back on how many is too many bikes, i say you can never have too many bikes, i always tell that to my wife. she just looks at me with THAT look ya know?

·
Vendor
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

"
‘Vintage,’ ‘Antique’ and ‘Classic’ motorcycle definitions
The United Kingdom has specific definitions of what constitutes a classic, vintage or antique motorcycle, based on the year the bike was created. The U.K. also uses the term “veteran” to describe any motorcycle built before 1915, and older bikes built after Jan. 1, 1915, are referred to as “vintage.”

But in the U.S., the terms tend to be tossed about more freely and are often used interchangeably, which can be a source of confusion. From an insurability standpoint, Nationwide combines some of these definitions under its Classic Motorcycle coverage, so if you’re looking to insure a motorcycle, consult with your agent to see what best suits your needs.

Let’s take a closer look at what each one really means. For a breakdown of non-vintage motorcycles, check out our Types of Motorcycles guide.

Classic motorcycle
This designation isn’t an official term, and its use can indicate more than just the age of a motorcycle. In some cases, it’s even used to describe a new motorcycle that has a certain look or style – the so-called “instant classic” that has the simplicity of an older vehicle. So when does a motorcycle become a classic? Overall, there’s a general consensus among motorcycle enthusiasts that any motorcycle over the age of 25 could be considered a classic, but some also base their definition on the bike’s appearance or design.

Vintage motorcycle
The only official designation of what constitutes a vintage motorcycle comes from the American Historic Racing Motorcycle Association, which even has two different designations for vintage, depending on the type of racing the bike is going to do. The AHRMA defines motorcycles as vintage for motocross racing if they were built before 1975, and vintage for road racing if they were built after 1975.

Antique motorcycle
According the Antique Motorcycle Club of America, an antique motorcycle is one that is 35 years or older. This is the only “true” official designation in the U.S., but because some states allow motorcycles to be registered or licensed as antiques after just 20 years, sometimes the definition becomes unclear.

Some states have another designation of “historical” that is used for licensing and registration. Their guidelines often include the stipulation that the vehicle is of a certain age and it is owned only as collectors’ item, used for such things as historical club activities, parades and car shows."

·
Registered
64 Posts
seems there was a thread awhile back on how many is too many bikes, i say you can never have too many bikes, i always tell that to my wife. she just looks at me with THAT look ya know?
Within my social bike friends group, we agree that so long as the number of bikes does not exceed the number of helmets you have, you do not have too many bikes.
However, once bikes exceeds helmets, then you have changed definitions and rules, and are into having a collection of bikes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here’s my Classic: Norton Commando 850 MKIII.

My father bought it new in London in 1975 for 1000 BP, and I bougt it from him in 1985 for about the same. It has about 27.000 miles and since last year fully up and running again.

I have 8 bikes, and this will stay with me (or my sons) even when I’ll be too old to ride it.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I have 8 bikes, and this will stay with me (or my sons) even when I’ll be too old to ride it.
Beautiful. If that were mine, I'd be making plans to have it in my room at the nursing home ... ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
It may not be a classic in years, but this is (was) my 2018 Royal Enfield Classic. Couldn't afford to keep two bikes on the road. Had to sell :(

Miss her
Beautiful bikes, and I love riding it; a real “thumper” for the small roads; here’s mine (2018):

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Here's my 1982 GSX750S Katana. They are very hard to find in any condition. In 2016 one came up locally, only 20 minutes from my house! Bought in the fall. Torn down, repaired, cleaned, restored during the winter. It's mostly original, save for the front turn signals and brake lines, etc., and what needed replacing was done with OEM Suzuki parts. It's amazing how many OEM parts are still available for this bike. I did add the shark fins, which were not stock on the Canadian version, because I like them. This was my dream bike when I was working in a motorcycle shop as a 16 year old in 1983. Only took me 33 years to get it!
View attachment 272576
View attachment 272577
A friend of mine has several in his collection of Suzuki's.

·
Vendor
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
I guess I shoudl post pics of mine. Here is my H! that currently going through restoration. That is a $3,000 paint job sitting on nothing other than a 46 year old motorcycle, but the in functional conditions.

Here is my latest on the day I picked it up. A 1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk III. Here it has the euro bars and Corbin seat. I'm in the process of switching to the US spec bars and stock seat.

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Can anyone else see Ricks photos?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Not this time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd love to track down my old 1986 Honda CB100. Despite it being a 98cc four stroke single, with only a kick start, it was the most reliable bike I had for years. It was my first bike, and I loved it! And easily more than 100mpg, too!! 😎

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I'd love to try a Norton. I vividly remember the first time I saw someone start one up.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Beautiful bikes, and I love riding it; a real “thumper” for the small roads; here’s mine (2018):
View attachment 272788
I think those singles are SO cool.
I'm not very good at flags. Is that a Belgium flag on your profile? The writing on the building has me confused.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts