StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have two. A 1953 Vespa 125 and a 1973 Honda Elsinore CR-250.

This Vespa was the first thing with two wheels and a motor I ever rode. My dad picked it up in Europe around 1961. He was a test pilot at Edwards and lived off-base (my folks were split up) and I would ride it when I was with him on weekends. I was about 10 years old. Dad took a job as chief test pilot for a German aircraft company and moved over seas. He was unfortunately lost on a test flight in 1965. (HFB Hansa 320). I had no idea what became of this scoot. Now bump ahead to 1985. My brother Steve was stationed at Edwards and his daughter is born on base. Steve was also born on base back in 1957 and somehow the base newspaper, the Desert Wings, finds out and does a story with picture of both Steve and Laurene when they were newborns. A few days later Steve gets a call. "Hi, I was a friend of your dads and I have his scooter sitting in my garage. Want to come pick it up?"

The Elsinore I bought brand new back in late 1973. This is from the second shipment of Elsies to hit our shores. I raced desert at the time and threw an MT gearbox in it to get wider ratios. Raced Barstow to Vegas with it a couple weeks after getting it. When I moved to Hawaii for grad school I stuck it in my aunts barn and there it sat. In 2000 I decided to race vintage Mx with AHRMA and brought it out of retirement. Haven't raced AHRMA in a few years but it is still ready to go.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have my first motorcycle in the garage. 1975 Yamaha RD350B. I've had it since 1980. I really need to spend some time on it and get it back on the road. I haven't ridden it since spring of 2012. Luckily it's really easy to tear apart and there are still plenty of places to get parts.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Bought a very restorable 1975 GT185. I had uncrated the first one of these that came to the shop I worked in at the time. Loved the test ride. All I need now is the spare time to fix it up. View attachment 272704
Just curious what you are going to fix up on that new looking GT 185?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Two of mine that left the garage in the last year.
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star (Now in a Department Store Window)
View attachment 272692

!981 XS 650 (Before the restoration was complete) Recently seen listed on Craigslist with "No Title".
View attachment 272694

Currently looking for the next addition to the garage. Looked at one yeasterday and going to look at another tomorrow.
The Yami 650 was my dream bike in the mid-70s while I was in the Army. Only rode one once and enjoyed it. I've been told many times in recent years that they were unpleasant on long rides because they vibrated too much. But man, they were gorgeous.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
I have a 1981 BMW R100 that used to be my dad's bike. It's got over 100,000 miles on it (mostly his) and I'm currently turning it into a cafe racer. View attachment 272688
Beautiful bike! Not questioning you (too much:)) but it looks to be in pristine condition. Why would you cafe racerize it? Would it not be better to keep it as is and chop up something else that is in a little worse condition?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Just curious what you are going to fix up on that new looking GT 185?
Mostly surface things like brake pads, maybe shoes, master cylinder kit, grips, resolve the one clogged muffler, battery, air box. Really, just maintenance.

·
Vendor
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
It's possible to convert a bike to a cafe racer these days without loosing the ability to take it back to stock. Lot's of cafe racer parts out there ready to bolt on so the originals can be carefully wrapped in bubble wrap and put away.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
It's possible to convert a bike to a cafe racer these days without loosing the ability to take it back to stock. Lot's of cafe racer parts out there ready to bolt on so the originals can be carefully wrapped in bubble wrap and put away.
That is good. So many cafe racers are really butchered bikes that are past resuscitating.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It may not be a classic in years, but this is (was) my 2018 Royal Enfield Classic. Couldn't afford to keep two bikes on the road. Had to sell :(

Miss her dearly.
20200502_171817.jpg

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Mostly surface things like brake pads, maybe shoes, master cylinder kit, grips, resolve the one clogged muffler, battery, air box. Really, just maintenance.
Should be pretty mint when done with that maintenance

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I had an early 70's Kawasaki 90 (stored in pieces) in my dad's garage for about 25 years. I was really good about taking bikes apart when I was a teenager. Putting them back together uh.. Not so much!

Not a classic but old, does it count? 😁

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 1979 XS650 Special, stripped it down when I blew the engine back in the late 90's. Sat in the shed for almost 20 years before I rebuilt it from the ground up a couple of years ago, with a couple of small modifications.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I have two. A 1953 Vespa 125 and a 1973 Honda Elsinore CR-250.

This Vespa was the first thing with two wheels and a motor I ever rode. My dad picked it up in Europe around 1961. He was a test pilot at Edwards and lived off-base (my folks were split up) and I would ride it when I was with him on weekends. I was about 10 years old. Dad took a job as chief test pilot for a German aircraft company and moved over seas. He was unfortunately lost on a test flight in 1965. (HFB Hansa 320). I had no idea what became of this scoot. Now bump ahead to 1985. My brother Steve was stationed at Edwards and his daughter is born on base. Steve was also born on base back in 1957 and somehow the base newspaper, the Desert Wings, finds out and does a story with picture of both Steve and Laurene when they were newborns. A few days later Steve gets a call. "Hi, I was a friend of your dads and I have his scooter sitting in my garage. Want to come pick it up?"

View attachment 272701
View attachment 272702

The Elsinore I bought brand new back in late 1973. This is from the second shipment of Elsies to hit our shores. I raced desert at the time and threw an MT gearbox in it to get wider ratios. Raced Barstow to Vegas with it a couple weeks after getting it. When I moved to Hawaii for grad school I stuck it in my aunts barn and there it sat. In 2000 I decided to race vintage Mx with AHRMA and brought it out of retirement. Haven't raced AHRMA in a few years but it is still ready to go.
View attachment 272703
Great that you still own those. Your dad sounds like an accomplished fellow.

·
Vendor
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I had an early 70's Kawasaki 90 (stored in pieces) in my dad's garage for about 25 years. I was really good about taking bikes apart when I was a teenager. Putting them back together uh.. Not so much!

Not a classic but old, does it count? 😁
It was quite something to see the huge number of small displacement bikes at the Barber Vintage Festival. People were using them to get around from point to point on the huge campus and back and forth from hotels to the festival. Most meticulously restored and some with some very interesting customization. It was such " a thing" that I started thinking about looking for a special small bike myself. I kinda settled on some kind of some kind of early adventure motorcycle pre-cursor as a theme, but then got my Norton. So that project will have to wait until the Norton and Kawasaki H1 are done or an opportunity I can't pas up smacks me in the face.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
With so much UJM junk avalaible its a shame to bastardize a nice clean bike even if its just bolt on stuff. Actually bolt on stuff isn't very custom its just looks a JC Whitney catalog parts bike.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts