StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dont kno if youd call it a classic....but ..it is kinda rare in the US
I had always wanted one when they came out. (I was a bit less.....sizable back then)
Now I have one ....but dont fit it ...!!!
20190902_091612.jpg
20190902_092942.jpg

By the way.....its for sale
Mabe someone who fits can enjoy the sound of a 14K redline

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't think we got that particular variation of the CX500 in the US. Absolutely great bikes made at a time when Honda was making bikes just to make a statement, trying to show the world they could do any engine configuration better than anyone else.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Over the past dozen or so years, I've acquired, fixed up as winter projects and sold, a DT250, GS850, GS650, XS400, and XL250, plus passed along numerous other untouched projects (several DT and RT Yamahas, another GS850, 750 Seca). Everything I currently have has been a winter project, even my '04 $2000 Wee 5 years ago.
My little mugwump says she is OK with three bikes in the garage, but lately she has allowed smaller bikes to sneak in.....if I want another project, a couple have to go, likely the Moby and the SR250.
As for my situation, having retired last fall, I have done two bikes this winter, thanks to USPS, Canada Post, Treatland, and Yamaha Canada. Keeps me at home.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Here's my '87 FXRS-sp Low Rider Sport. I don't think of it as a classic, getting a Z50 in 1971 I have a soft spot for bikes built from 1970-76, those "my" classics.

Anyhow, I bought this used in 30 years ago, it had a frame up rebuild 20 years ago. My story is way too long to write here, but it has 207K miles, I still ride it a lot, as much as the Wee. It originally appealed to me because it resembled the UJM's and British bikes I grew up with, speedo/tach on the handlebars, low bars, rubber mounted engine like a Commando. It's very smooth running and comfortable, easy to rack the miles onto. The FXR's have developed a cult following as of late, originally they were loathed by the Harley faithful, being considered too Japanese. When they were introduced in '82 they were a big improvement in handling and smoothness for Harley.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
That is a nice Harley. I could see travelling on that.

Reactions: om28

·
Registered
349 Posts
The closest I can show here is my '83 Maxim 750. $300 off Craigslist with a "blown engine", said the ad. Four hours, zero parts and a bunch of Gumout later, it was a solid runner. Second winter I owned it, I tore it down to the frame and went to town on it. After it was done, I rode it some but deemed it too shiny for me and sold it. I'm not good with shiny things. I don't wash bikes. I barely do laundry.
Before/After:
IMG_7275.JPG

IMG_7598.JPG
IMG_7597.JPG

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
  • Wow that polish looks nice, I have a Maxim 650 I bought for parts with a "Blown" engine a month and a half ago. It was stripped down and missing the wheels. I paid $215 for it. I wanted the electrical stuff for my Seca. The tank and side panels were Grey....but as it turned out it was covered in Plasti Dip and underneath was some quite nice red paint. I hope to try my hand at selling those on Ebay. I'm amazed how cheap some old but great bikes are to purchase. I see some stuff on facebook like Suzuki 750's purchased for $500 that look like they can run on forever. You can probably get some great bike for the price of a 66 Vette fuel cap.

Attachments

Reactions: bwringer

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a 1991 kickstart Yamaha TW200 that I ride regularly. However that bike is virtually unchanged in 30 years so can it still be considered a "classic"? LOL

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Given a bit more available money, time, and space (so never, basically, but one can dream), I've always felt I'd enjoy a classic Moto Guzzi project.

For now, the '83 GS850G I mentioned earlier is classic enough for me. It's been well sorted out for a long time, so care and feeding required is minimal and it's anvil reliable.

Reactions: om28

·
Registered
254 Posts
Two of mine that left the garage in the last year.
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star (Now in a Department Store Window)

!981 XS 650 (Before the restoration was complete) Recently seen listed on Craigslist with "No Title".

Currently looking for the next addition to the garage. Looked at one yeasterday and going to look at another tomorrow.

·
Registered
389 Posts
the market was full of scratch itchers when I sold my 84 ninja, Lots of guys in their 50’s 60’s. I turned away a couple guys who just wanted a deal, and dealt with many who were really nostalgic about it. I was glad it went to someone who appreciated it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A decade or so ago, I spent a year on a '79 Honda CB650; it was my reentry point into motorcycling after a 25-year hiatus. It definitely punched my retro buttons. And it was fun to have people pull up next to me at lights and shout "Hey I had one of those when I was in college!" And of course, nothing ever sounded quite like a Honda inline-4 with the throttle cranked.That was the good news. The bad news was that it had sat in a barn way too long. After fixing or replacing everything within my skill set, I finally advertised it on CL and, surprisingly, half a dozen potential buyers fought over it. Selling it was the happiest day of that decade - well, except the day I retired.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have an 84 Yamaha RZ350. That's a street 2 stroke. Went into second place status after I got my Wee in 06. Had it finally ready to get back on the road last fall but a carb problem, gas on the road everywhere. Then the weather changed before I could fix. Hope to have it out soon.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Here's my 1982 GSX750S Katana. They are very hard to find in any condition. In 2016 one came up locally, only 20 minutes from my house! Bought in the fall. Torn down, repaired, cleaned, restored during the winter. It's mostly original, save for the front turn signals and brake lines, etc., and what needed replacing was done with OEM Suzuki parts. It's amazing how many OEM parts are still available for this bike. I did add the shark fins, which were not stock on the Canadian version, because I like them. This was my dream bike when I was working in a motorcycle shop as a 16 year old in 1983. Only took me 33 years to get it!
View attachment 272576
View attachment 272577
Amazing, it is still a beautiful bike all these years later... Good job..

21 - 40 of 114 Posts