StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen wear patterns like this on their Anakee 2 fronts?

I've run Anakee 2's on another bike and aside from some mild scalloping, have never seen these "triangles" or "guitar pic" shaped deformations inside the tread blocks. Not on any other front tire I've ever had in over 30 years, including the stock Trailwing.

Balance is still spot on, pressure is set to 36 psi and checked weekly, suspension is great (Cogent!), steering head bearings are snugged down as they should be and have been greased...I have no clue of the cause, other than some odd manufacturing issue with the plies.

I called Michelin and have "opened a case". Local dealer also took pics, verified he's never seen anything like this and has a call in to his Michelin field rep to see what he can find out.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yep, mine look exactly the same. A friend got even worse with his H rated (mine are V)

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Yup, and that was the cause of mine's replacement with Anakee 3s. Still, I got many miles out of them (IIRC >>10k) and would have replaced them with the same had A2s still been available.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yep, every set I had "cupped". I run 3's now and only have about 7000 on them. So far so good. I don't know how to prevent or keep it from happening.
Mike

·
Registered
448 Posts
I think I read on a post somewhere here that increasing the tire pressure helps to prevent it from happening.

Doug

·
Registered
327 Posts
I don't really have enough experience on a V-Strom, but that wear looks like tire pressure too low for street riding. I've had heavier sport touring bikes where front pressures need to be run at 40 psi to keep cupping to a minimum. Suzi's recommendation of 36 psi just seems low to me.... it's a lighter bike, but I'd bump that up to 38.

·
Registered
285 Posts
my first set was not that bad and i got 17k out of them but this set is at 10k and i cannot take my hands off the handel bars or they vibrate violently.

i think i will try Dunlop trail max's next

·
Premium Member
2,589 Posts
My last Anakee II front did that towards the end. The previous one did not. Go figure.

Heidenau K76 for me now. Rumble, rumble.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have Anakee II on the the Vee now and the front looks exactly like that. I typically run 32-36psi. From my experience it doesn't have any ill side effects. I'd rather run a lower pressure and gain a bit more traction.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Parts Unlimited Rep has looked at the tire and has no explanation. He's forwarding pics to the Michelin folks, I'm really curious what they theorize the cause is - construction issue or ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Same here

I noticed the same roundish, bubble/buldges on my front tire. I recieved the bike used with about 15,000 miles. It now has a little over 22,000. The tires were not new. But, the front wheel is mounted backwards. Strange that it would have the same bubble/buldge regardless of tire rotation? I keep my tires inflated between 38-41 psi, religiously. Please keep us posted on what Michelin has to say. Thank you

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Yes.

I did not like that tire.

I felt I was making far too many compromises on-pavement for tires that might see very occasional off-pavement use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try going up a few psi on the front tire.

Has anyone seen wear patterns like this on their Anakee 2 fronts?

I've run Anakee 2's on another bike and aside from some mild scalloping, have never seen these "triangles" or "guitar pic" shaped deformations inside the tread blocks. Not on any other front tire I've ever had in over 30 years, including the stock Trailwing.

Balance is still spot on, pressure is set to 36 psi and checked weekly, suspension is great (Cogent!), steering head bearings are snugged down as they should be and have been greased...I have no clue of the cause, other than some odd manufacturing issue with the plies.

I called Michelin and have "opened a case". Local dealer also took pics, verified he's never seen anything like this and has a call in to his Michelin field rep to see what he can find out.

Used to get the same wear on my front Tourance. I found that if I went up on my front tire pressure by a couple of pounds, (from 36psi up to 38 psi) the tire stopped wearing weird. This was found out after experimenting w/ psi on at least 3 sets of frt. tires. I attributed it to the weight of the bike and the soft sprung forks. Then I put a fork brace on and dropped the pressure back down to 36psi. got the same bad wear as before. So, I went back to 38psi on the front and got good wear again. FWIW.

·
Registered
285 Posts
what is a good tire for the wee....
mine is like this and i am getting ready to get some new shoes.

i am looking at the shinko 705, the pirelli scorpion, and the dunlop trailmax tr91

thanks.
joe

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Just curious...
Any of these cases happen while using Ride On?
On another note, it looks as if chunks of harder compound rubber mixed with softer compound.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, a recap and the conclusion..

I opened a case with Michelin and was told I need to find an "authorized motorcycle tire dealership". Guess what, there aren't any! Michelin motorcycle tires are sold through distributors such as Tucker Rocky, Parts Unlimited, etc. How is it that Michelin Motorcycle Division Customer Service Reps don't know this very basic fact and sent me on a wild goose chase?

A rep from a distributor is in town at my local dealership and I ride over to let him see the tire. He's never seen one like that, takes pics, sends them on to a rep at Michelin he knows and I tell him my case number to pass along, etc, etc.

2 weeks go by, haven't heard from anyone. Contact my local dealer, he contacts the distributor's rep who in turn says that the Michelin rep shared that I should run that front tire at max pressure, 42 pounds. The end.

No explanation as to why the odd shapes in those blocks, no offer of goodwill assistance, even a small percentage, towards a replacement. Not even a return email or call to the 8 or so I initiated. Utter crap customer service from a premium motorcycle tire manufacturer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts