StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone hate Paypal? Ive been trying to get my premium membership up since I started on the board and finally got the payment to go through. I have 3 good standing cards but still......the rest is a long story Im just venting

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
PayPal and Panera's Rapid Pickup=gastronomic happiness.
And no credit card involved.
So no, I kinda like PayPal.

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
I like paypal when the kids were little and needed something I could paypal the $$ to the X and never talk to her. Perfect!!

·
Registered
859 Posts
As a person who uses Paypal for my convenience I hate that they take every opportunity to try and convert me over to a "commercial" account.
So I sell a few things a year and they want to make me commercial so they can assess their processing fee on every transaction whether it involved a credit card or not.
Then they play games with the default payment options to use your bank account instead of the credit card which affords more protections and extra benefits like extended warranties.
Nah - they went down the shitter when flea-Bay bought 'em.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a person who uses Paypal for my convenience I hate that they take every opportunity to try and convert me over to a "commercial" account.
So I sell a few things a year and they want to make me commercial so they can assess their processing fee on every transaction whether it involved a credit card or not.
Then they play games with the default payment options to use your bank account instead of the credit card which affords more protections and extra benefits like extended warranties.
Nah - they went down the shitter when flea-Bay bought 'em.
There is some I like about them but I think it is true on the e-bay note!

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,185 Posts
Well, considering PayPal wasn't known by hardly anyone in 2002 ( when it became public ) and ebay bought them out later in 2002, I am not sure why anyone thinks ebay ruined PayPal.

Ebay and PayPal split apart sometime in 2015 so PayPal is on its own.

If you use them to facilitate payment for something you sell, I don't feel there is anything wrong with them charging a fee. They have a much abused way of transferring money to friends and family with no fees.

PayPal is the only banking institution I have had that has never had a fraud issue. Personal or business. They are quick to answer questions when you do have to call. While they may, or may not, have some of the convenience or protection of credit cards that is made up for by security of using them.

People whip out a credit card or debit card and never think about fees charged to use them. I assure you a business owners know all about that!

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I've never had an issue with them. I mostly use them for my Ebay purchases but I also use it from time to time on smaller sites that I figure don't have the security I need on their servers for my credit card information.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Well, considering PayPal wasn't known by hardly anyone in 2002 ( when it became public ) and ebay bought them out later in 2002, I am not sure why anyone thinks ebay ruined PayPal.

Ebay and PayPal split apart sometime in 2015 so PayPal is on its own.

If you use them to facilitate payment for something you sell, I don't feel there is anything wrong with them charging a fee. They have a much abused way of transferring money to friends and family with no fees.

PayPal is the only banking institution I have had that has never had a fraud issue. Personal or business. They are quick to answer questions when you do have to call. While they may, or may not, have some of the convenience or protection of credit cards that is made up for by security of using them.

People whip out a credit card or debit card and never think about fees charged to use them. I assure you a business owners know all about that!
They used to have a provision when you - as an individual - sold on e-Bay that no fee was charged if the buyer paid with a bank account. Makes sense since literally they acted as no more than a go-between and e-Bay collected your selling fee. Then they decided that since you're selling you should be a commercial account so they can whack you the theoretical CC fee whether in fact they used a CC or the bank account = free money on top of the selling fee. I suspect this is one reason they "split" off from e-Bay.

I have had plenty of incidents - usually with foreign vendors - where PayPal was loathe to get off their ass and stick up for me the buyer in spite of me clearly being in the right. It may not be fraud in the literal sense of the word but it is an unnecessary hassle that they do nothing to alleviate.

Then finally they have turned into social justice warriors prohibiting using their services where firearms are concerned.

·
Registered
947 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
They have a much abused way of transferring money to friends and family with no fees.
Be careful if you are ever asked to pay for something online with "Paypal friends and family" - you have no protection if you pay for something like this. And paypal/ebay are usually very quick to side with the buyer in most cases.

If someone asks for friends/family, I will add the 3% to my payment as a way of protecting my purchase. If I sell something online, I factor that into my asking price - if the payment comes in as friends/family, cool.

·
Super Moderator
4,497 Posts
The world is full of con men. I purchase online regularly and these days will go around any seller who will not accept PayPal payments.

That's because I have been deceived a couple of times when using my card online.

With PayPal my money is safe and consumer satisfaction assured. When I did have a problem (with a deceptive seller) that sale was undone quick smart. Try that when your credit card has already been debited and then discover that you need to buy more bits for more money to actually get all the bits that are listed in the description.

·
Administrator
1,128 Posts
Hey guys,

We understand your frustrations with PayPal. If you ever encounter issues with a payment done through PayPal but is not reflecting on your account here (subscription for example), provide us with the following details via PM:

1. transaction ID#
2. date of purchase
3. email associated with your PayPal account
4. amount paid

Sometimes members will get double charged because they will manually pay but don't realize that their PayPal account is set up for automatic renewal so be sure to check the settings in your account on PP. Let us know if you have any issues relating to your account (here) from PayPal and we'll sort those out as best as we can.

Thank you,
Natalie

·
Registered
947 Posts
My lady bought some rings/bracelets etc from a seller via Paypal and when it turned up it was not as described. She complained to the vendor who got all threatening and refused her refund. Having contacted Paypal and explaining the situation, with photographic evidence of both the advert and the stuff received, Paypal simply refunded her money more or less instantly. They then banned the vendor she was told.

Coops.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I like PayPal. When selling lower value stuff (not vehicles/motorcycles) I always give the buyer the option of using Paypal F&F for the agreed price or add 3% if they choose to have some protection.

·
Super Moderator
4,497 Posts
My lady bought some rings/bracelets etc from a seller via Paypal and when it turned up it was not as described. She complained to the vendor who got all threatening and refused her refund. Having contacted Paypal and explaining the situation, with photographic evidence of both the advert and the stuff received, Paypal simply refunded her money more or less instantly. They then banned the vendor she was told.

Coops.
This has also been my experience with PayPal.

·
Super Moderator
4,497 Posts
Sometimes members will get double charged because they will manually pay but don't realize that their PayPal account is set up for automatic renewal so be sure to check the settings in your account on PP. Let us know if you have any issues relating to your account (here) from PayPal and we'll sort those out as best as we can.
I find this practice of remote deductions offensive. If I owe you money ask for it.

Definitely a practice for the benefit of the payee. They always say that it is for your convenience, when in fact it is for theirs.

·
Registered
859 Posts

Coops.
I bought my wife a sterling menorah from an outfit in Israel. The photos looked gorgeous and they stated it was sterling, so not cheap.
I get this thing and it's silvered plastic and was shoddily put together.
I got PayPal involved and they said that I needed to work it out with the vendor.
So the vendor says I need to mail it back on my dime which would have been near a hundred bucks.
I refused since that would have cost me half of what I paid and it was junk plastic.
I got back with PayPal and they waffled since the vendor "had made a reasonable request" to return teh item *then* tehy would refund for it.
So I sent them the postal estimate for shipping and a video of me snapping pieces off demonstrating it was NOT sterling as they said and a promise that I would get the Credit Card that was charged involved.
THEN they decided that maybe they needed to step in. My money was refunded but to my knowledge they are still using PayPal to peddle their junk.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I find this practice of remote deductions offensive. If I owe you money ask for it.

Definitely a practice for the benefit of the payee. They always say that it is for your convenience, when in fact it is for theirs.
Another one is registering as a preferred/vetted vendor which bypasses all checks and balances.
Woot! (now part of Amazon) was famous for this - they would set themselves as a pre-approved vendor with PayPal so you had no choice if you decided to pay with a credit card instead of the default bank account - it really greased the payment wheels so you had no chance to back out I guess ;)
I complained to PayPal about this and they said that if I agreed to it (buried in the legalese somewhere) then I had no case.
Far as I'm concerned it shows how far they are willing to throw you under the bus to help you spend money.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Never had a Paypal issue......808 transactions on ebay as a seller and buyer...bueno. On the other hand I had less that 5 transactions on Gunbroker and got completely porked on my very first sale.....GB can pound sand, I will never do business there again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I made an online PayPal purchase at Dicks Sporting Goods on my way to a 3 day rally. On returning home there was a call from VISA Fraud letting me know that there was a lot of suspicious activity on my card. I made an angry call to Dick's and they just blew me off, followed by the same reaction at PayPal. The operator at PayPal was genuinely rude. I tried to close my PayPal account immediately and their online system just ran me in a circle and would not let me close the account. I called their customer service line and the person whom answered said I could not close the account until the transaction with Dick's was closed. I called Dick's and the gal there said the transaction was closed and read me the correct receipt number. Back to PayPal where I got the same song and dance until I demanded to speak to the operator's supervisor. He persisted that the sale had never closed even after being presented with the receipt from Dick's. He finally agreed to close the account after I threatened to go to the state banking regulator.
It wasn't PayPal protecting my money it was VISA. The much vaunted PayPal had no system in place for customer service to verify that the purchase had even been made and closed. That on top of their practice of opening credit cards for users without telling them, and then charging fees, has forever tarred and feathered them in my book. DAMMITdave

1 - 20 of 24 Posts