StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the SW-Motech with the Pelicans, but has anyone done the Givi PL532 racks with Pelican side cases? If so can you post some pictures?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Been there, done that.
Actually really pleased with the outcome.
I don't have picture capability, but basically - centred the racks on the cases on the floor, drilled holes (racks have threaded holes), mounted racks to bike, bolted cases to rack (using large washers on inside of case)
Just that simple :)
Not quickly removable but so far haven't really found that to be an issue.
The cases have holes for padlocks, just bought a set keyed alike.
Very sturdy and best of all, very (relatively) cheap!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Overall width is 38" - not any wider than the bars - the main reason I went that route as it still allows splitting/filtering.
Used the 1550's - won't fit a full face, but plenty big enough for average commuting, groceries, med. length trips etc

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mayday said:
Overall width is 38" - not any wider than the bars - the main reason I went that route as it still allows splitting/filtering.
Used the 1550's - won't fit a full face, but plenty big enough for average commuting, groceries, med. length trips etc
No issues working with the rear wheel for chain maintenance, etc.? I was thinking about the 1430's, my only concern is that they only hold about 15L each. Looks like the 1550 holds 32 each. The new 1440 seems like it is too big and too heavy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
No issues at all, the racks are actually at a slight angle, so the widest point is at the bottom. Still easy to lube/clean chain etc.
Again, for me, size of the 1550 is perfect and weight is really not even close to being an issue.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've been considering the 1520s as an alternate. They hold about 25L which is more than my Tourmaster soft bags. Maybe enough for short hauls, longer hauls if combined w/ trunk and a duffle. About an inch or more (total) narrower than the 1550's.

Has anyone used the 1520's for touring? Big enough, or too small?

·
Registered
387 Posts
The Caribou setup is well worth a look. By the time you buy the givi racks and cases you're probably going to end up in the same neighborhood for price.

I can't say enough good about the Caribou rack and cases. Super solid, wonderfully unobtrusive when the cases are off, and just overall great design. Incidentally, one thing you should steal from Caribou if you DIY is the cables that catch the lid. They only let it open to about 80 degrees, rather than all the way to 90. This is awesome because it keeps everything from falling out on the low side since it acts as a catching point, not a getaway ramp.

·
Registered
645 Posts
No doubt the Caribou are nice! I particularly like the solid racks. But:

2 - 1550's @ $85ea. = $170
1 - GIVI Rack = $145
Assortment of hardware, maybe = $20.00
Satisfaction of a rainy day DIY project = Priceless! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Total: ~ $330. Or less than half the Caribou.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I've been considering the 1520s as an alternate.
This is awesome because it keeps everything from falling out on the low side since it acts as a catching point, not a getaway ramp.
Instead of the 1550's , perhaps take a look at the new Pelican 1430 or 1440 toploaders. They are 25 L and 33.6 L cases and will more easily keep stuff from falling out when you open the case.
Those links are to Pelican in Canada but I would assume they are available elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 1440s are larger than the 1550s in dimensions, but have less interior room, and weigh 5 more lbs each (probably because they have wheels and a side handle). I have ruled them out because of the added weight and size with less carrying volume. Also when I use the interior dimensions of the 1430 from the Pelican site and from someone who has them I am coming up with about 15 L. The 1550 exterior dimensions aren't much bigger than the 1430. I like the 1430 in theory better than the 1550, but don't know if I can give up that much space for near the same exterior space, but I am considering it..

As for the Caribou Cases, I love the design and know that they would be a much cleaner solution than the DIY job, however, my own calculations have the DIY at $270 for the 1430 and Givi rack to $340 for the 1550 and Givi Rack including extra hardware. The Caribou is over twice the cost. It is a very clean and sweet solution, but I am not sure I can justify the cost over the DIY setups.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been looking at these to use with my Givi racks. Looks promising and very low cost...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts