StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is mostly a pirates rally, but still looks like fun. Nice town and some fantastic day rides are in all directions. Might just have to go and give it a try.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hells Canyon motorcycle rally

I have gone to this rally for the past five-year and I must say is one of the best rallies you'll ever go to in my opinion. I have a blast every year and I'm sure I will again this year. Hope to see you guys there. I will be on a orange 2009 650

the:thumbup:middleman

·
Registered
27 Posts
Considering making the trip as well and have been looking for a room. They are totally booked so it looks as if it will be a camping weekend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
the motels in Baker city have been booked up for some time. This is an extremely popular motorcycle rally and they fills up fast. there is Great camping and hot showers at the high school. if you want a motel room, your best bet is probably going to be Richland or halfway.

The:thumbup: middleman

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I wasn't planning on getting a room anyway. Just not sure if I'd camp at the High school or or some where outside of Baker City.
Phil- Glad to hear that a familiar face will be there. I'll E-mail you when it gets closer.
Don

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well the trip is planned and I will be camping at the school grounds for a couple of nights. Hope to meet some fellow stromriders at the event. Riding a Silver Wee.

Received a confirmation today as well with the following quote:

"For any of you who don't mind a little gravel, we have added a 156 mile Dual Sport ride. About half pavement, the rest gravel. See the Oregon side of the Snake River on the famous Snake River road. If you don't like gravel, no worries, all of our other routes are all paved!"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hells Canyon motorcycle rally

On Saturday night. They put on a feed at the the high school make sure you put that on your to do list. Great food, great price , and a lot of fun. I'll be arriving on Thursday. Hope to see some you guys there.

The:thumbup: middleman

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't planning on getting a room anyway. Just not sure if I'd camp at the High school or or some where outside of Baker City.
Phil- Glad to hear that a familiar face will be there. I'll E-mail you when it gets closer.
Don

Hey Don -

Just thinking out-loud here... but another Trooper and I are heading out on a ride this weekend and doing some scouting for the 4th of July Eastern OR group ride, and we'll be heading thru Baker City late saterday afternoon, also, trying to hook-up with middleman there at the rally - you should PM me you cell and I will give you a call when we come thru town... I think the plan is to head thru Baker City on our way out to Oxbow where we will just start looking for a campground (there's a half dozen campgrounds down along Oxbow res.) if you don't have firm camping plans you could always hang with us... thinking we will make an early morning ride up Hess road for some beautiful photo's... think about it!

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Howard- Check your PM,s.

Don

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the rally was mostly a success. The rain was the only negative factor. Was going to leave on Wed., but put it off til Thurs. as it was a little to wet. Got out at 7:30 and only saw rain going up Snoqualmie pass. Cloudy an 60 degrees most of the way to Pendleton. Slowly started to warm up as I headed S. and when I got to the campground in John Day at 3:30 it was 78 degrees. Phil(Sharkey) arrived a short time later as my tent was being set up.
Our camp site

The next morning(Fri.) at 5AM the pitter patter of raindrops awoke me. Waited until 7 hoping that the rain would quit, but alas camp was broke and we went to breakfast. The rain kept following us all the way to Baker City. After setting up at the high school a clearing of the skies allowed us to do a 100 mile loop to Medical Springs,Union, Cove, La Grande, Union(again) and the old highway back to Baker City.
A rainbow between Union and North Powder.

Continue later

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sat morning the sun came out and gave us some hope of a dry ride. Did the $5 breakfast at the VFW hall before heading out. A fellow camper(on a Harley) joined us for breakfast and then the ride. Did the Sumpner to Ukiah route.
Viewpoint 10 miles before Ukiah

Got some snacks in Ukiah, where we met HowardB and Sakebato. 20 miles later the sun was gone and the skies let loose. Didn't let up until we hit Baker City 75 miles later. Killed some time in town and then went to the Boy Scout BBQ.
The next morning was sunny again, so we let things dry out while we did the VFW breakfast again. Checked the internet and more rain was predicted for the evening. Original plan was to stay Sun. night, but with everything finally dried out we decided to pack up and head out. The route was to go S. to Unity on Hwy 245(OMG what a great road with a 5400 ft. summit and lots of tight turns. A must do again type route.) Mike the Harley guy joined us to the Y at Unity.
The Y by Unity

Phil and I went N. on 26 and 7 to catch 20 that follows the John Day river to 395(Another new to us and great road.).
Hwy 26.

2 spots along 20.

Then on to Monument, Spray, Fossil, Condon and Biggs.
On 206 above Condon

At Biggs it was 6PM and the decision was to keep riding for home. Portland for Phil and then N. on I-5 for me. Arrived just before 11PM and a little shy of 600 miles for the day. 1425 for the trip. Lots of plans adjusted for weather, but a good time anyway.

Don

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bit of a last minute decision, but it looks like I'll head out in the AM for the 2012 Hells Canyon Rally. Anyone else going. Weather is iffy like last year, so some rain is to be expected. Think I'll camp somewhere in Umitilla Thur. and have a 2 hour ride to Baker city Fri. AM. Return Mon. morning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts