StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic is overdone but.

Does anyone actually have no buffeting around my height? I have a madstad bracket, 2 MP shields I am trying out plus a Cee Bailey shield that came with the bike when I purchased it, and the stocker shield.

I have tried them all and I still get some buffeting. The madstad helps alot and the MP shield see to help some but I still get it no matter how high or low the shield is. I even can set my MP shield so high I look through it and still get buffeting. It is all better than the stock setup but it still giggles glasses. By the way at speed means 65mph to 80mph. I dont have any real issues at 50 mph.

I don't think it is so much coming from the shield but from underneath. I do not ride with a tankbag or panniers.

Buffeting is always worse driving into the wind, better driving with the wind. I am going to try the stocker again in the lowest setting to see what happens. I am starting to think that maybe having some air hit my head may settle down some of the air coming up from the sides of the bike.

I don't know why I can't get it to work, my BMW RT1100 had no buffeting at all.

Please advise if you have had a similar problem and a solution, it is driving me crazy.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
I'm 6' 3" and have no buffeting at highway speeds (75 or so) with the MRA Vario Touring screen set to the highest position. There is a little wind noise if I sit up straight, but if I scrunch down a little, I'm in still air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
garry said:
I'm 6' 3" and have no buffeting at highway speeds (75 or so) with the MRA Vario Touring screen set to the highest position. There is a little wind noise if I sit up straight, but if I scrunch down a little, I'm in still air.
What size is your screen 16 or 20 inch?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
I think I have the 16. It was on the bike when I bought it (10 days ago).

I just wandered out to the garage to measure it: the windscreen itself is 14.25" tall, measured straight up the center. This does not include variable wing thing at the top.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
Re: Anyone around 6 ft tall actually have no buffeting at sp

jbh said:
I know this topic is overdone but.

Does anyone actually have no buffeting around my height? I have a madstad bracket, 2 MP shields I am trying out plus a Cee Bailey shield that came with the bike when I purchased it, and the stocker shield.

I have tried them all and I still get some buffeting. The madstad helps alot and the MP shield see to help some but I still get it no matter how high or low the shield is. I even can set my MP shield so high I look through it and still get buffeting. It is all better than the stock setup but it still giggles glasses. By the way at speed means 65mph to 80mph. I dont have any real issues at 50 mph.

I don't think it is so much coming from the shield but from underneath. I do not ride with a tankbag or panniers.

Buffeting is always worse driving into the wind, better driving with the wind. I am going to try the stocker again in the lowest setting to see what happens. I am starting to think that maybe having some air hit my head may settle down some of the air coming up from the sides of the bike.

I don't know why I can't get it to work, my BMW RT1100 had no buffeting at all.

Please advise if you have had a similar problem and a solution, it is driving me crazy.

Thanks.
Try adding Seang micro edging to the MP, thats what I have an no buffeting unless there is alot of large vehicles.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,374 Posts
I am 6ft and have not noticed any buffeting with the stock screen on the stock/default setting. Now behind or passing a semi, the whole bike gets some buffeting. I do have some wind noise but that's probably helmet related.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,019 Posts
Im 6'5" with the Givi windshield in its lowest position and no buffeting. I still get a bit of wind noise, but I have a flip-face helmet. If I put my hand under the chin and block the up-draft up the face, I get almost 0 wind noise.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,019 Posts
Stalky Tracker said:
I am 6ft and have not noticed any buffeting with the stock screen on the stock/default setting. Now behind or passing a semi, the whole bike gets some buffeting. I do have some wind noise but that's probably helmet related.
Your eather humping the gas tank, or 5' legs and 1' body! I find if I nean forward into the "sport" position I get little wind noise and buffeting on the stock shield. Before I got the Givi, thats how I HAD to ride at 60MPH+ or it was a miserable ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
6 foot 1 and no buffeting. I have the stock screen in the top position on the stock bracket. I'm glad I don't have many different screens hung on my garage wall representing failed attempts at curing the problem? Hearing some of the stories I think I'd have sold the bike long ago. :roll:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,374 Posts
gibbage said:
Your eather humping the gas tank, or 5' legs and 1' body! I find if I nean forward into the "sport" position I get little wind noise and buffeting on the stock shield. Before I got the Givi, thats how I HAD to ride at 60MPH+ or it was a miserable ride.
Sorry, neither. 32-33 inch inseam and 33-34 sleeve length, normal upright riding position. I do have a nice flow of air at shoulder level or higher. Just haven't had any noticeable buffeting so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stalky Tracker said:
gibbage said:
Your eather humping the gas tank, or 5' legs and 1' body! I find if I nean forward into the "sport" position I get little wind noise and buffeting on the stock shield. Before I got the Givi, thats how I HAD to ride at 60MPH+ or it was a miserable ride.
Sorry, neither. 32-33 inch inseam and 33-34 sleeve length, normal upright riding position. I do have a nice flow of air at shoulder level or higher. Just haven't had any noticeable buffeting so far.
You are one of the lucky ones.
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I run stack shield in warm weather and Windstrom Manta in cooler months I'm 6'2 and like a little air in summer and Manta work's good when it get's cold.. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
I'm 5-11 (used to be 5-11 and 1/2 :( ). My Givi screen in the highest position gives me no buffeting. I'm not sure about the other settings since I haven't used them enough to form an opinion.

Of course, I have to look through the screen, but I like to ride with my face shield up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
I have a Windstrom, set in highest position, kicked out about 5/16" on the bottom & have no helmet buffeting. I'm 6' w/31" inseam. I look over the top unless I slouch. I do get air flow around the tank, but if I didn't, I couldn't ride in the South Texas heat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
drummer said:
djb383:

How 'bout some details on your modification? I've got some aluminum angle lying around, but I'm not exactly sure what what you did. Thanks!
Hope these close-up pics will help. I used thin, 1" aluminum angle. The 2 pieces are cut 4 1/4" long, marked and drilled 4 holes in both pieces. The top 4 bolts are just regular 1/4" bolts while the bottom 4 bolts are metric thread 6 X 1.

Click the pics to enlarge.

 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I am 6'4".

First I tried the CalSci xtra-tall. I wasn't happy with that - the top of the screen split my field of view, and while it was more quiet than the stock screen, it caused an irritating buffeting on the top of my helmet.

Then I added the Madstad brackets. I have found a somewhat acceptable position with the CalSci and the Madstad with the CalSci angled back as far as the Madstad will allow and with the top of the screen down far enough so I can look over it. I get more wind on the helmet, but it is smoother. The advantage over the stock screen and Madstad is the taller screen eliminates the buffeting around the underside of the helmet around my ears. The issue now is with the screen angled back so far, the bottom of the screen sticks out several inches from the fairing above the headlight area and is acting like an air scoop pulling a lot of air under the screen.

In order for me to be in a still pocket of air with the CalSci I have to raise it up to where I am looking through it at all times.

I found no combo of the stock screen with the Madstad that I was happy with.

Now I think I am going to order the Givi tall and the Laminar touring lip and give that combo a try. Or maybe cut my screen down and put the Laminar lip on it.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top