StromTrooper banner

Anyone 5'7" reply, re: seat height please.

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  flyingjib 
#1 ·
Hi,

My apologies for another seat height post. I haven't been on here for a very long time, and am looking at a used 2005 Vstrom 650 at the dealership. Very good shape with low miles.

Can be seen on Atlantic Motoplex web site Atlanticmotoplex dot ca. I cannot include the link as my post count here is less than 10.

I had a 2004 Vstrom 650 that I put 30,000 miles on, but sold it 4 years ago.

I'm 5'7" and can flat foot (both feet) on the bike at the dealership. It's been lowered, including modifying the side stand and the centre stand.

Does anyone think it's been lowered too much. I remember my stock Vstrom 650 being much higher, but don't have access to another one to compare to.

The thing is, after coming back from a work place injury (pelvis and lower back) it's a problem swinging my right leg over the saddle on stock height. I'm ok with the weight of the bike, just don't have the flexibility that I used to have. So I don't want the high stock seat height of the Vstrom (or the Versys either).

This lowered Vstrom at the dealership would be perfect. But I'm left thinking it my be lowered too much.

I didn't have time to test ride it yet to check for bottoming on rough paved roads, and will look at the rear fender to check for tire rub.

Also, I only ride on pave, never fire roads etc. And am willing to pack very light if needed for any trip.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to buy a bike this week, as I am beyond fed up of not riding.

If this lowered Vstrom is not a good idea (i.e. not safe) then I will go look at a used 2013 Honda CB500X as a viable (to me) alternative.

And yes I know the front of the front fender has been painted silver.:wink2:

Thanks

Jim

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Nothing wrong with lowering if done right - get someone that knows suspension to check it. Mine's down 1.25", lower seat, ( Terry Adcox ) taller boot heels ....handles fine.

Lowering the suspension could adversely affect handling.
Please...if you don't have personal knowledge of the factors involved don't make "could" comments. Doesn't help OP at all and raises unneeded concern.
The lowering needs to be done correctly by someone knowledgeable about suspension.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info. Reinforces what I already knew (or thought). I've been shopping for an lower seat height alternative, but nothing compares to the Vstrom as far as I'm concerned. The suspension was lowered at a dealership, so I am presuming it was done right.

#5 · (Edited)
You can ( and I do ) get an inch on your boots and an inch with a low seat.

What is your inseam? ....height not as important as inseam.

Pretty bike

can't recall a silver.

If you can flat foot all ready you might be able to bring it upp an inch.

#6 ·
The stock DL 650 seats of that generation are among the "lowest" you will find.

Sounds like a lot of work went into lowering this bike. Hopefully that means it was done properly.

Lowering does NOT automatically mean suspension bottoming. My ONLY concern would be the front or rear tire bottoming at full compression and hitting a part of the bike. If done correctly, that shouldn't happen. If it bottoms out on rough ground, simply buy heavier rate springs for front and rear. We used to think 4-5 inches of travel was just fine anyway!

#7 ·
Not sure if this post is still relevant but I'll give it a go anyways. Jim, another trick is to shave the mount rubbers on the underside of the stock seat. If I recall I cut mine down by half the thickness. It gives a bit of extra room. By the way, I am 5'6" with a 30" inseam and ride a 2006 wee which has been lowered 1&1/8". I also lowered the front forks by 19mm and replaced the stock seat with a comfy Sargent seat. I can't flat foot at stops but can get the balls of my feet both down on level ground. I found no appreciable difference in the handling with the lowering but I don't ride hard or fast. The DL has been a fantastic bike overall.

Earl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.