StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a Happy Trails center stand & skid plate on my 2014 DL-650VStrom. Has anyone used HT stuff? What do you think of their products? They look like quality stuff on the web site, so I was thinking I might try them.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I have their racks, and they are very well made. No complaints. However, I've read some stories on this forum about members who have received some pretty abysmal customer service from Happy Trails in the recent past, and it has made me reconsider ordering from them in the future.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I really like their products but if you do order from them it's going to take awhile to get what you order no matter what they tell you initially. I'll keep ordering from them but when I do I don't have any expectations on when I'll get what I order.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'm happy with the center stand, good quality and sturdy and one of the least expensive if I remember correctly. It did take a little long to get it, but something like that is not critical.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have their centerstand. When I bought it this spring, it arrived within a week.
The quality seems good and it tucks up nicely. I did discover that you can mount it to the wrong holes on the bike. So if it looks like it hangs way low and your bike wants to fall to the right -- you bolted it up wrong.
Their customer service? --meh

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the stand. It arrived in a timely manner. Installation was straightforward. It works fine and I really don't see how it could be improved short of making it out of stainless or titanium or something. It's mated with the Enduroguardian plate.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have their center stand and have had it mounted on the bike about a year, but just removed it this morning. The reason I removed it was that I was quickly going over the bike before taking it out on a trip and I noticed that the centerstand was touching the chain. Just a tiny bit, but it was touching. I suspect it was a combination of two things that caused the chain and centerstand to make contact. It had been a while since I'd adjusted the chain and it was a little more loose than I normally like to run it (I adjusted it before riding today), and I installed a set of dogbones on the rear suspension to give it an extra inch of lift. I'd noticed recently a "chirping" sound when I'd shift quickly while accelerating hard. I can see on the centerstand that it was actually getting ground away by the chain a little where it was making contact. Probably wasn't good for the life of the chain either. Not sure yet if I'll do some grinding on the center stand for clearance and re-install it or if I'll just leave it off. The stand seems to be high quality and worked well before I added the rear lift to the bike, though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just installed my CS yesterday. It seems like a good piece of kit, though the footprint does seem a little narrow (when comparing it to my old KLR CS). It looks well-built, though, and the bike is easy to get up on the stand. Customer Service is definitely meh--I do better visiting them if I'm in Boise.

·
Registered
241 Posts
They make quality stuff, but their turnaround time is sketchy. Sometimes you'll get your item quickly, other times it may take weeks. I think they make the stuff in batches, or maybe in low-volume cases, to order. So if you're planning a trip and need a particular part, it's best to contact them early in case they need time to make it.

I do find some of their prices a bit ridiculous. Example.. on my DR650, I have their older, pre-SU racks. On my V-Strom, it's the SUs. When I mounted my aluminum panniers on the V-Strom, I wanted to use them on the DR as well, but not drill anymore holes. I contacted them about purchasing the "insert" into the racks that would allow that. Sure, they sell them. How's $25 EACH? Holy crap. For two 2" x 8" pieces of metal. I made my own for $10 for both. Maybe not quite as pretty but they work.

Rob

·
Registered
42 Posts
After weeks of waiting I got my notice of shipment today for the center stand. Funny that I get it on the day I told them I was tired of waiting. So, I sent an email telling to either ship one of cancel the order. Those guys must have issues with getting the units built.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I purchased a Happy Trails skid plate for my 2012. The fit was terrible and the fabrication and finish were worse. I've purchased other products from Happy Trails in the past and was very pleased with them. The skid plate was a major disappointment and now resides on my scrap metal pile.

·
Registered
320 Posts
This thread is very timely. I ordered a center stand from HT yesterday but it sounds like I might not get it very soon, which means I need to call and confirm a shipment date. Glad you guys shared your experiences. It would suck not to have it for my trip in mid August.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the HT center stand on my bike w/ an Enduro Guardian skid plate. The HT center stand is very well made and easy to install. I've only had it on for a week so well see about durability but it looks like it should hold up well. Their only thing is shipping. It took them over 2 weeks to send it out. So that's my only gripe.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I've had the HT center stand and the Adventure MotoStuff skid plate on my '13 for a year now. I'm pleased with the setup - both are very sturdy and were easy to install. I did have to tighten the center stand recently, but that's no fault of HT. My only complaint I suppose on the center stand would be that the bolts are prone to surface rust.

I use my center stand regularly, and always when parked in the garage at home - not just for maintenance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got the HT centerstand. I noticed the same thing as zekester63- my bolts are all orange with surface rust, but I'm not too concerned with that. If I wanted shiny and clean I would never have purchased a Vstrom.

The problem I had was that one of the two springs that hold the stand up broke off at the top of the spring. The other spring is sufficient to hold the stand in place when the bike is underway, but I use zip ties on the other side as a little bit of insurance. I contacted HT about this and they informed me that I got the last of a batch of centerstands without an upgrade they came up with to correct the problem. This problem happened very recently so I'm still in the process of getting an upgrade kit, but it sounds like they will be sending one to me on their dime.

Overall I'm satisfied. The stand itself seems well-constructed and sturdy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Happy Sort of with Happy Trails

I have the Happy Trails SU rack on my 2012 DL650 and very happy except that some of the bolts are already rusting (Florida). Seems they should of used corrosion resistant fasteners.

I have owns two Happy Trails Center stands on my 2012 DL650a. The first one had a bolt fall off after less than 1000 miles use. Took a long time to get a new replacement center stand from Happy Trails as they were out of stock. They did replace it with a new one free of charge. Replacement center stand has had no issues for 2000 + miles except again the fasteners are rusting ... maybe I expect too much given the Florida weather and ocean 10 miles from me.

The plastic plug on the center stand kick down arm fell off both of the stands in a few days use.

Customer Service was spotty from Happy Trails ... I had more than a few phone calls and emails and they batted about 60% .....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, my HT center stand came in today!:thumbup: My first impression is that it is a well built unit. It wasn't hard to install at all and took maybe 15 mins. In all I really like the stand and other than the long delay in shipping I'm happy.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Well, my HT center stand came in today!:thumbup: My first impression is that it is a well built unit. It wasn't hard to install at all and took maybe 15 mins. In all I really like the stand and other than the long delay in shipping I'm happy.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
FYI - the bolts supplied are not stainless and they will rust. If that is going to bother you, I suggest sourcing stainless bolts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts