StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks interesting, and seems to have all the right features at a pretty good price point. Cycle Gear apparently does not carry the brand, so I'm not sure where I can go to look at one (and try it on for size before ordering online:mrgreen:).

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the AFX FX39DS which is basically the same helmet. I use it for dual sport riding. I like it a lot for that use. Very comfortable and has some good features for the price point. I wear a Shoei for road use.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just bought one - I like it. Much lighter then my previous helmet, reasonably good as far as noise goes, good visibility and vents seem to work pretty well.

The price is what drew me to it (my scottish ancestry makes me cheap) and all the write-ups I've seen made it seem like it was worth a try.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have one as well. I like the helmet. It is very comfortable for me and wind noise is not to bad. It is not as good in cross winds as some street helmets but I don't find it to be enough of a problem to want to switch.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't fit my head very well tight on my forehead and the mouthpiece was very close to my nose
Well, if you didn't have such a long, drooping Charles de Gaulle nose.....:green_lol:
Just kidding. I have read where this helmet fits more like Arai (round melon) than Shoei (oval melon) and your tight forehead observation seems consistent with that.

The Yamaha dealer in Sac handles this line so maybe I'll go down and try one on.

Thanks to all for the responses.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've been watching this helmet and was wondering about rider reviews as well. I like the look, but was worried about riding the road at speeds because of the visor.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the look, but was worried about riding the road at speeds because of the visor.
The reason I am interested is that I once had a Nolan (N70, I think) that had a visor or peak and I really liked it, but it was discontinued. So on subsequent helmets I have installed a SuperVisor. I have never noticed any "lift" or other ill effects from them. But they do shade your eyes nicely and minimize back-reflection from your face inside the shield. My silver beard can get pretty bright in there.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've been watching this helmet and was wondering about rider reviews as well. I like the look, but was worried about riding the road at speeds because of the visor.
I was kinda of concerned about this visor on superslabs and at speed to, but I find very little buffeting or any kind of additional wind noise attributable to it.

A buddy of mine has an Arai with a visor and he says there's a high pitch whine that gets produced by the wind when at speed - that would be enough to drive me nuts.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well, if you didn't have such a long, drooping Charles de Gaulle nose.....:green_lol:
Just kidding. I have read where this helmet fits more like Arai (round melon) than Shoei (oval melon) and your tight forehead observation seems consistent with that.

The Yamaha dealer in Sac handles this line so maybe I'll go down and try one on.

Thanks to all for the responses.
Do we know each other:green_lol:Yeah, I know but I bought one of their road helmets and if fits great?

·
Registered
155 Posts
afx

I have the AFX FX39DS which is basically the same helmet. I use it for dual sport riding. I like it a lot for that use. Very comfortable and has some good features for the price point. I wear a Shoei for road use.
how was the sizing im thinkin about picking one up i like the hi viz

·
Registered
96 Posts
how was the sizing im thinkin about picking one up i like the hi viz
The sizing in the AFX and the Fly is surprisingly different considering they share the same shell. I personally prefer the look of the Fly a bit but found I was between a Large and XL and neither fit quite right. I tried on the AFX and the Large fit great, so that's what I ended up with. Either is solid, just find the one that fits right. FWIW, Brian at Atomic Moto sold me mine, good store.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I do not notice any lift from the visor on mine unless I tilt my head back to the point where I cannot see the road anyways.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The sizing in the AFX and the Fly is surprisingly different considering they share the same shell.
Really? They don't look alike at all. In any case it's not the shell that determines the fit but the shape of the styrofoam and padding inside. Socialtrailrider says he uses both an AFX and a Shoei so I assume they have a similar internal shape.

I'm a Shoei/Scorpion head shape so I guess the AFX is a better choice for me. But I really like the hi-viz Fly color.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Really? They don't look alike at all. In any case it's not the shell that determines the fit but the shape of the styrofoam and padding inside. Socialtrailrider says he uses both an AFX and a Shoei so I assume they have a similar internal shape.

I'm a Shoei/Scorpion head shape so I guess the AFX is a better choice for me. But I really like the hi-viz Fly color.
Yeah, it's the guts that change the fit. There's a big thread over on ADV about the two (I think it's got the FX-39 in the title), tons of great info over there on the differences.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts