StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for more performance-oriented tires for my DL650 (I almost never ride off road) and was wondering if anyone has tried the Roadtec Z6's or has any other suggestions for a more performance oriented street tire for the Strom?

I have been pretty happy with the 'Wings but they are getting close to replacement time and I don't need a dual purpose tire.

Many Thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had a look on the Metzler site but couldn't see any 19' Z6's. I had them on my last bike and they rock.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
19 foot tires are pretty rare. :wink:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oops, my conversion from metric is a bit sad..... I guess that should be 19" Z6's

·
Registered
97 Posts
Somebody around here said they saw the Z6 was now available in a 19-inch front. I'd like to give these tires a try eventually, but the stock Trail Wings only have 2.2k on them so it'll be awhile before they wear out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Chip, several folks have been looking for these tires, but so far, none of the tire vendors seem to have the fronts in stock.

Just Bill

·
Registered
59 Posts
"They do list the 110/80-18 front."

But it is back ordered with no date stated when the factory expects to ship (indefinite), same as everywhere else I have looked.

Guess it is on the Pilot Road. So here is the question: I can find V Rated front PR's and Z rated rear PR's. Does that mix cause handling or ride problems?

Just Bill

·
Registered
97 Posts
Whoops I made a typo, it's a 110/80-19 front not an 18.

I'm not sure what other bikes can use a nice sticky yet long-lasting sport-touring tire in an oddball 110/80-19 size, but I think the Stroms are proving so popular the tire manufacturers are finally taking notice. Works for me!

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Actually, Dungee, neither place claims to have them. Motorcycle Superstore has them in the list but when you check stock they do not have them. Also, I had a pop up on that site when I first checked that said they were back ordered indefinitely. So, I think this tire for the V Strom is still wistful thinking.

Now, do I go with the Pilot Road (Z in back and V in front) or the BT 020?

Just Bill

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had BT 020's on an old beemer about 4 years ago, they made it steer funny and tram lined real bad, maybe they just didn't suit the r100rs.
I may get flamed for saying this but I think the stock tyres steer and grip quite well, If the Z6's don't come out I'll probably stick with them.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
No flame Dungee but I've had 020's on my "little" 6Fiddy for 18K+ miles and I freaking love them. Had 607's on the bike when delivered by the stealer...Adequate in the dry . . . . but they basically suck bigtime in the wet. Not much traction, not much in the way of warning when the reach the limits of traction, poor steering, etc (all compared to the 020's). For me the difference was night and day!

Course I'm a 90% pavement, 10% dirt/offroad guy. :D

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The word is that Metzeler has discontinued the **FRONT** Z6 size that fits the Strom. They still produce the rear size. Anyone willing to run mis-matched? If so, with what?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I now have about 1000 miles on Michelin Pilot Roads. They ride good and handle better. All the reviews rate them as super sticky on wet pavement but I have not tested them on wet roads. The only issue is how long they will last because I love the way they handle. The even do as well as the TW's in wet gravel, loose gravel and hard packed dirt which is about as far off road as I plan to get.

Just Bill

D

·
0 Posts
Metzlers

I've got the Metzlers on my 1000 and love them. They handle more securely than the Trailwings and seem to have slightly better wear charecteristics (oddly). Initial turn-in is is a tad slower and heavier with the Z6s, but they stick better than the 'Wings.

D

·
0 Posts
Oh Yeah - Meant to Add

The Z6's are also super in the wet. I rode through tons of rain and some mud (Upstate NY and VT always seem to be muddy when it rains) during Americade week this year. The tires provided excellent traction.

·
Registered
321 Posts
A bit off topic maybe but I just ordered a set of Avon ST 45/46's for my 650. I absolutely loved these tires on my old Concours. I'm done with the unpaved riding for a while and I commute rain or shine on the bike so I thought I'd see if I like the Avons as much on the DL as I did on the Connie. I never tried the the new RoadTecs but I had Z4's and Z2's and found the Avons superior in both wet and dry as well as quieter with no difference in wear. SWMoto has them in DL/BMW GS sizes for $218.90 delivered. No affiliation, yada yada.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts