StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate to be the one to break the Midwest Forum's month-long silence, but I was just wondering since it was warm (59F) and wet (flood warning) round these parts.

I meant to go 20 miles but got lost and drained a tank.

I think winter'd be almost bearable if we could ride go for a spin once-a-month.

Glad I procrastinated on welding the crack in my magneto cover.

·
Registered
600 Posts
59F? I'm envious. We got one day above freezing which turned everything into ice. Our barn door to the bikes is frozen to the concrete apron. Glad to hear someone got out.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but I did wash the bike after - just to get the salt off.
I probably should have done the same, but it was raining so much and most of the roads I was on had sand instead of salt.

You see any other riders? I didn't. I can only imagine what the cagers thought.

59F? I'm envious. We got one day above freezing which turned everything into ice. Our barn door to the bikes is frozen to the concrete apron. Glad to hear someone got out.
Wouldn't have caught me calling it a "winter ride." Hang in there rj.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I got a short ride in yesterday, I had to it was almost 70! Temps dropped back down to 30's overnight with today's high in the 40's. The sun is out so I'm going again today.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hate to be the one to break the Midwest Forum's month-long silence, but I was just wondering since it was warm (59F) and wet (flood warning) round these parts.

I meant to go 20 miles but got lost and drained a tank.

I think winter'd be almost bearable if we could ride go for a spin once-a-month.

Glad I procrastinated on welding the crack in my magneto cover.
Ahhh your killing me. I soo want to get out but the roads just aint having it around the lakeshore. Its either been rain or wind the last few days.

I did get a ride in on the Pumpkin a few weeks ago so that helped.....But I am already starting to go stir crazy.

Maybe Ill get out this week yet.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The kids are here for the holidays but they were occupied for a while so I did my 35 mile loop down to Bridgeport. Temps were in the high 40's so I got a chance to test my new heated jacket liner. MMM.. toasty!

·
Registered
141 Posts
going riding on Monday

40 and sunny for the 29th. At least one of my bikes will be out for a spin. I have not been out riding since the weekend of Thanksgiving due to snow and ice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Err...yeah. Did manage a nice 6 hour ride here in NC. Took the Blue Ridge Parkway and circled back on some nice twisties. Beautiful combo of blue skys and fog. Temps 45-65.
Being from upstate NY, I can fully understand the joy of a December ride like this.
Bring the spring!

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a short ride in yesterday, I had to it was almost 70! Temps dropped back down to 30's overnight with today's high in the 40's. The sun is out so I'm going again today.
Y'know, even though you're from what us northerners would consider "a warm state" I'm willing to grant you the honor and distinction of having taken a "sneak ride" because a.) were surprised as hell it was 70, b.) your temps dropped back down to the 30's overnight, and c.) you're riding in the 40's today. Mother Nature turned her back a little, and you took advantage of the old gal. Congrats.

Ahhh your killing me. I soo want to get out but the roads just aint having it around the lakeshore. Its either been rain or wind the last few days.

I did get a ride in on the Pumpkin a few weeks ago so that helped.....But I am already starting to go stir crazy.

Maybe Ill get out this week yet.
Hey YZ, haven't heard from you in a while. You do any riding this summer?

I think you might have missed yer window, man! Felt like I was getting away wit merder when I was out riding on Saturday! Shoulda' been there. Shoulda' been there (except when I almost blew through a stop sign on account of the fog. You wouldn't have wanted to be there then.)

Far as I can see, if you go riding this week you'd be entering the "extreme despiration ride" category, but if y'do it let me know after you get back!

The kids are here for the holidays but they were occupied for a while so I did my 35 mile loop down to Bridgeport. Temps were in the high 40's so I got a chance to test my new heated jacket liner. MMM.. toasty!
Well done seppel. Pretty pleased with yourself weren't ya? Kind of reminds me of that "money stolen is better than money earned" saying from that pool movie with Paul Newman.

40 and sunny for the 29th. At least one of my bikes will be out for a spin. I have not been out riding since the weekend of Thanksgiving due to snow and ice.
Err...yeah. Did manage a nice 6 hour ride here in NC. Took the Blue Ridge Parkway and circled back on some nice twisties. Beautiful combo of blue skys and fog. Temps 45-65.
Being from upstate NY, I can fully understand the joy of a December ride like this.
Bring the spring!
I'm liking these little cool-weather micro ride reports.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I got out Saturday and Sunday and did about 400 miles. Had to give the bike a bath afterwards, the cinders and salt were all over it, but it was good to sneak one in.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Y'know, even though you're from what us northerners would consider "a warm state" I'm willing to grant you the honor and distinction of having taken a "sneak ride" because a.) were surprised as hell it was 70, b.) your temps dropped back down to the 30's overnight, and c.) you're riding in the 40's today. Mother Nature turned her back a little, and you took advantage of the old gal. Congrats.

I'm liking these little cool-weather micro ride reports.
I got to ride most of the day yesterday! I ride year round unless it's snowing, but the holidays have been kind of getting in the way of my riding! :mrgreen:

I did see some bad news yesterday, the wonderful gravel road that is my avatar picture has been paved! :bom_shout: There went one of my scenic rides though the countryside. :(

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey YZ, haven't heard from you in a while. You do any riding this summer?

I think you might have missed yer window, man! Felt like I was getting away wit merder when I was out riding on Saturday! Shoulda' been there. Shoulda' been there (except when I almost blew through a stop sign on account of the fog. You wouldn't have wanted to be there then.)
I almost dug the bike out today for a ride. Roads were clear. But I spent the day with the wife and kid instead. Its mega tempting to try and ride to work tomorrow but I dont think I have it in me. But if they hold out Im going for a ride after work tomorrow if it kills me.

Aside from riding to work I havent went on any trips on the Strom. Wanted to but it never materialized.

My son races MX in the summer and I spend a lot of time, and a lot of $ keeping his bike running and getting him to the races. 2 top ends, 1 crank, 1 clutch, clutch basket/hub, front and rear wheel bearings, linkage and swingarm bearings, 4 sets of rear brakes, shifter, kickstarter, tires, plastics, revalved suspension...the list just goes on and on. I have nicknamed his YZ85 the little blue bastard....lol

I picked up a 08 KTM 300 XC-w this summer. What a fricking AWSOME ride that is. Still have the CRF250x though. Probably will become my sons bike after the 09 season.

Im thinking of a Trip around Lake Michigan next summer with a stop at Bark River to watch the offroad truck racing..... Could be fun. The more the merrier!

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no sneaking about it, I went for a ride, just a short one, 225 miles/4 hours
And in New Hampshire. That ain't the tropics. Nice. Can't get those pic's to pop up though.

I got out Saturday and Sunday and did about 400 miles. Had to give the bike a bath afterwards, the cinders and salt were all over it, but it was good to sneak one in.
You've got those "good" roads down there too. I ride down there once or twice a summer. Glad someone's got a foot in the door for that twisty pavement when the winter weather allows.

I got to ride most of the day yesterday! I ride year round unless it's snowing, but the holidays have been kind of getting in the way of my riding! :mrgreen:

I did see some bad news yesterday, the wonderful gravel road that is my avatar picture has been paved! :bom_shout: There went one of my scenic rides though the countryside. :(
Kentucky, year-round riding, holidays putting a crimp in your riding plans...hmm...where's that violin-playing emoticon when I need it?
Sorry to hear about loss with gravel road. Guess you'll just have to ride faster for the same amount of excitement.

I almost dug the bike out today for a ride. Roads were clear. But I spent the day with the wife and kid instead. Its mega tempting to try and ride to work tomorrow but I dont think I have it in me. But if they hold out Im going for a ride after work tomorrow if it kills me.

Aside from riding to work I havent went on any trips on the Strom. Wanted to but it never materialized.

My son races MX in the summer and I spend a lot of time, and a lot of $ keeping his bike running and getting him to the races. 2 top ends, 1 crank, 1 clutch, clutch basket/hub, front and rear wheel bearings, linkage and swingarm bearings, 4 sets of rear brakes, shifter, kickstarter, tires, plastics, revalved suspension...the list just goes on and on. I have nicknamed his YZ85 the little blue bastard....lol

I picked up a 08 KTM 300 XC-w this summer. What a fricking AWSOME ride that is. Still have the CRF250x though. Probably will become my sons bike after the 09 season.

Im thinking of a Trip around Lake Michigan next summer with a stop at Bark River to watch the offroad truck racing..... Could be fun. The more the merrier!
It's got to be a kick watching ones own kids cutting it up in the dirt like that. I think that would count toward your own quota of motorcycle fun, and hey, you've got that new toy too! And a 2-stroke. You ought to be able to do some damage with that.

You and I were talking about at least doing a Spring "meet and greet" ride last winter. I let work keep me busy up until early August and then I took off for a few weeks in Colorado. No harm in setting our sights on a 2nd attempt though. I never know what I'll be doing (work-wise) much further than a couple weeks in advance, but hopefully something will pan out for us in 09. Maybe I'll have pulled the trigger on a set of Leo's by then. That way I wouldn't have to envy the sound of your bike, and we can make twice as much noise.

I'm going to have to get going on my winter Strom repair/maintenance tasks.
Just need to accept the fact that street riding season's done for a couple months.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It's got to be a kick watching ones own kids cutting it up in the dirt like that. I think that would count toward your own quota of motorcycle fun, and hey, you've got that new toy too! And a 2-stroke. You ought to be able to do some damage with that.

You and I were talking about at least doing a Spring "meet and greet" ride last winter. I let work keep me busy up until early August and then I took off for a few weeks in Colorado. No harm in setting our sights on a 2nd attempt though. I never know what I'll be doing (work-wise) much further than a couple weeks in advance, but hopefully something will pan out for us in 09. Maybe I'll have pulled the trigger on a set of Leo's by then. That way I wouldn't have to envy the sound of your bike, and we can make twice as much noise.

I'm going to have to get going on my winter Strom repair/maintenance tasks.
Just need to accept the fact that street riding season's done for a couple months.
Yea it is pretty fun to watch him race and learn. Its a little nerve racking for the first few times but it gets better. He ha had a rough summer. Lots of ups and downs. He ended up with 3rd overall for the year in the 85 C Class so that aint too bad for the 1st year on the 2-stroke.

Next summer its looking like I may take that shiny new KTM and hit the track as well. I mean heck Im there I might as well have some fun also!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I snuck out day before yesterday on my daughter's TTR125, had a blast practicing trial style riding in the woods. Got muddy, got cold, felt alive.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Got about 135 miles in on Saturday (26th) at about 60 degrees, a nice little treat from mother nature. Went for new years day ride with the beemer club, 14 degrees and windy, only rode 53 miles, thank God for Gerbing gear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts