StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of retiring in Crete. Anybody here actually go there and ride? Thought about Arizona, Australia and now finally it looks like Crete. That island is growing on me and land is still cheap enough to build a house still without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I pulled in there a few times for a liberty port, the Navy wouldn't let us rent bikes but it looked like it would be a neat place to ride. Pretty crowded in the city though. Lots of scooters.

·
Registered
480 Posts
They kicked our fleet out of their harbor when I was there in '76. We never even got to go ashore. I still remember the "Yanqee Go Home" banners they were waving on the shore!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They kicked our fleet out of their harbor when I was there in '76. We never even got to go ashore. I still remember the "Yanqee Go Home" banners they were waving on the shore!
I do not know much about Greek politics. Good thing is I don't speak Greek to get an ear full of Politics from them! Last thing I need on a sleepy island. Just want to ride my bike around and live up a mountain somewhere hidden.

Roger123, after looking at so many websites, so far it does look like a fun place to ride. Just have to convince my wife that it would be a good place to live and kick back.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
How times have changed they are kissing our backsides now, well at least they were till one of our geniuses (sp?) stabbed one of the locals, we got out of dodge pretty quick after that!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Crete is a nice independent place

Cretans are brave people open hearted and hospitable.They consider they can defend THEIR island and they have prooved it through the years.They never mixed with politics and they never had a civil war while the rest of Greece was bleeding due to foreign "strings" (as if the WW wasn't enough). I guess that makes them proud and tough. You will spent wonderfull time there as long as you remember you're a guest and soon enough they will make you feel Cretan too. Crete has wonderfull sea and mountain landscapes, places with strong nightlife but yet there are always places to discover and recover from city anxiety.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please find the show ANTHONY showing on travel chanel. There is a segment filmed in CRETE. You will get a real life taste about Cretan life, like barbequing whole goats, shooting pistols in the air just for fun, drink RAKI something like OUZO but stronger.
If you are going to become friends with Cretans you better learn to drink RAKI otherwise you will never be trusted. Find the show and watch it, lots of fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cretans are brave people open hearted and hospitable.They consider they can defend THEIR island and they have prooved it through the years.They never mixed with politics and they never had a civil war while the rest of Greece was bleeding due to foreign "strings" (as if the WW wasn't enough). I guess that makes them proud and tough. You will spent wonderfull time there as long as you remember you're a guest and soon enough they will make you feel Cretan too. Crete has wonderfull sea and mountain landscapes, places with strong nightlife but yet there are always places to discover and recover from city anxiety.

+650:cheers2::cheers2:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I didn't get to ride while on Crete, but I did a lot of driving and walking. Yes it is a beautiful place, with beautiful people, read: gorgeous women!

I did notice that the roads always seemed to be a little slicker than other places I've been. Whether from the humidity, or manufacture process, or what I don't know. I mentioned it to some friends and they had noticed it as well. It didn't seem to slow down the locals much if at all.

Lots to see and do, but for me I think it would be to small to stay there long, but then I'm used to wide open spaces.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Riding in Greece

I now live here in Athens for 2 1/2 years and I'v been everywhere with my Wee.
Riding is great here, even though the roads are the worst in Europe..slippery asphalt, badly maintained and vry busy, but you get used to it.
As for Crete, it has a lot of windy roads in the mountains and along the coasts. In the city you definately need 2 wheels. No getting through on 4. Traffic is manic on those small and tight roads. Great place though!!!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Been there a few times and rented a motorcyle. Rds are in decent shape with nice coastal routes. Roads are extremely slippery, especially in busy areas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts