StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade the stock grips....saw some really nice, thick foam grips the other day....what/where to go?.....

·
Administrator
16,998 Posts
Any of the Rally grips, but I suggest putting some grip puppies over the stock grips......they are awesome!!!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
I gave up on foam grips in the late 80's, I'd have to replace them 2x a year on average, my gloves tearing them up.

Pro Grip 714's are my go-to standard, I've put them on every bike I've owned since first trying them around 1995.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I gave up on foam grips in the late 80's, I'd have to replace them 2x a year on average, my gloves tearing them up.

Pro Grip 714's are my go-to standard, I've put them on every bike I've owned since first trying them around 1995.
Ditto this.

·
Registered
817 Posts
put a puppy on the clutch side and a pro on the brake and compare. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
167 Posts

^^ Yep I have these on both my Wee and my DR and I love them.

·
Administrator
16,998 Posts

Yup those are in the series of grips that I recommended, but I have yet to wear out a set of "real" grip puppies. Are your gloves or hands lined with sandpaper or something? lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
I run the pro grips as well. My dad liked them so much from riding my wee that we just put some on his wee as well

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
How does the diameter of the Pro Grip compare with stock? I thought the stock grips are a little small, but the foam grips seem a bit large, so I took them off. I got a Cramp Buster for the throttle which actually seems to help.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
I used grip puppies on my '11 Wee and really liked them. I just put on Grip Buddies Shark Skin grips on my '14 Vee2 and love them. They are made of heavy neoprene, and do not believe you could wear these out. It's funny how something as simple as increasing the grip and diameter of the handlebars can do so much to make the ride more enjoyable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The 714s are noticeably thicker in diameter. As far as exact dimensions I would have to measure them to figure that out.

·
Registered
627 Posts
How does the diameter of the Pro Grip compare with stock? I thought the stock grips are a little small, but the foam grips seem a bit large, so I took them off. I got a Cramp Buster for the throttle which actually seems to help.
Noticeable larger than stock, but not crazy. I recall the spec stating 34mm in the center.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Grip Puppies over stock, or my preference, Oxford Hot Hands heated grip wraps. Thicker, with a little more cushion, but heated when you need.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Probably obvious by now, but grips are a very personal preference -- try different stuff until you're happy.

I love Grip Puppies in the summer, but I have to take them off for the colder seasons so I can get the full benefit of my heated grips.

I've also seen people use cotton tape (like you'd use on a bicycle handlebar or tennis racket) or paracord to create their personal vision of the perfect grip.

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts

+whatever on the Pro Grip 714's. I run with Grip Puppies over top of them too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts