StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I may be moving to Virginia in a couple of years and I know they do motorcycle inspections. I'm mainly wondering if there is a problem getting HID headlights or other mods through inspection. Any info on what it will take to get licensed there may be helpful too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
in Springfield VA last year, they asked me if it would pass inspection. I said "yes". We then did blinkers and horn and I was good to go. So I'm guessing it is highly variable.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
They tightened up the Massachusetts bike inspections a year or two ago and I've had no trouble getting three bikes through with HIDs, as well as tail lights that were not DOT.

My son-in-law had some trouble with aftermarket LED blinkers though. His fix was to take it to another inspection station. It passed.

From what I can gather, non-factory HIDs are not legal at the federal level, but I've yet to hear of anyone rejected for HIDs in any state.

I still carry a spare H4 halogen bulb in case one of the HIDs goes out.

·
Registered
523 Posts
You shouldn't have an issue GW. I've been in VA for a while and have all kinds of 'after market' wiring and lighting. Never been asked about it. They mostly just do the T-CLOCKS inspection to make sure the bike isn't going to be hazardous on the road.

as an aside - what part of VA?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife has family in Matthews county, near Gloucester. I was hoping inspection would mainly be that the lights, horn and brakes worked. It would also be nice if they just took my Illinois license with no tickets on it and gave me a Virginia one. I don't like tests.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Most places are not an issue. Hi And low beams usually just get eyed. There are a few places that will give you a hard time. Once here you will have enough time. Where are you moving too? From Tidewater through Richmond to DC over to Roanoke Advrider is very active.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Looks as clear as mud to me, Pat. From the Virginia DMV pages:

If you are from out-of-state, DMV may exchange your out-of-state driver's license for a Virginia driver's license if you meet the identity, legal presence, residency, and social security requirements and Virginia's driver education requirements, if applicable.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
My wife has family in Matthews county, near Gloucester. I was hoping inspection would mainly be that the lights, horn and brakes worked. It would also be nice if they just took my Illinois license with no tickets on it and gave me a Virginia one. I don't like tests.
I am in Gloucester. Have friends in Mathews. It will be an honor to have the Great Greywolf in Va. There are plenty of places for inspections. Now for license. Not sure because I have only had a Va license. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Coincidentally I just got the 2012 inspection for my Wee done yesterday.

The inspection is pretty basic - pull into the bay, inspector will stand in front of you, ask for high and low beam selection, horn activation, and left/right turn signal activation. Then he/she will go to the back, ask for foot and hand brake selection, and then left/right turn signal activation again. They may eyeball your front brake pads and tire tread, and that's about it...goes pretty fast.

I have a Kisan headlight modulator that activates on high beam, and Kisan Tailblazer flashing brake lights. I disable the headlight modulator before going in just to avoid questions, and high beams work normally. Only issues I have ever had was last year with an inspector who told me the pulsing taillights weren't legal (Kisan provides sources on proving 50-state legality but I didn't push the issue too far with him). I got the warning speech but left with a passed inspection anyway.

So this year I simply swapped to the stock taillight bulbs before heading down to the inspection bay at the corner gas station (Kisan Tailblazers are bulbs with flashing circuitry built-in, pretty trick and easy to swap in and out).

I doubt very much that an inspector will notice your HID lights as it's a simple low/high beam test using the old Mk.I Eyeball test equipment.

Overall the inspection is pretty much a nuthin' deal, particularly for those who properly maintain their bikes and take care to install mods in a way that maybe easily reversed or temporarily disabled if need be.

When we moved here from So-Cal our licenses transferred right over - you need to do it pretty quick though, they only give you 30 days to hand 'em in...which goes by pretty fast in the rush of setting up a new home, etc.

Fantastic riding state to move to, it would be our honor to have you as a fellow Virginian, best of luck!

·
Registered
154 Posts
inspections

dont know about va but nc is pretty easy btw what are you waiting for we have the best roads east of the rockies for sure.lifes to short

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I left the AF the DMV just issued me a VA license based on what was on my Oregon license. I had the motorcycle endorsement so they put that on my VA license. Hopefully, you have that endorsement on your current license. Like the others have stated, VA inspection is a simple safety inspection and often I was asked if the bike was ok and that was the inspection. They also will measure tread depth to ensure it is good enough to pass. Welcome to Virginia, but beware my personnal feeling is the state motto of Virginia is for Lovers should be Virginia is for Lousy Drivers. Out in the sticks VA drivers are no worse than others, but in larger cities it is a sign of weakness to be behind someone.

·
Registered
574 Posts
If you make the move here, come up my way to the mountains. We have riding here that compares to just about anywhere. The Blue Ridge Parkway is in my backyard and in the summer do an after dinner ride every night I'm off from work.
Ditto on the inspections. Never had a problem. If you don't pass then you get a 10 day sticker. You can take it to another inspector and tell them you had an out of spec tire. It's all about knowing who to go to. Most don't care.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Grey here is two links to the Chapter 46 Motor Vehicle Laws in VA

The first is for all Chapter 46 laws

LIS > Code of Virginia

The second is the chapter for motorcycles.

LIS > Code of Virginia > 46.2-1012

The biggest thing that I have noticed about VA for the last 25 years of driving through the state is NO RADAR DETECTORS. They are very strict on that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
In Northern VA they can be picky on cars -- and you have emissions testing every other year. For a bike, in some places you don't even have to shut down -- if you come to a complete stop, have lights and horn and some tread they don't ask for more. As for dealing with DMV, it couldn't be easier. The first time you go in person, but you can look on line and see what the wait time is at the different offices and can be in and out in 20 minutes. After that everything is done on line. And you have to ride the Skyline Drive -- I do it every spring and fall and it is a joy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts