StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got mine about a month ago, was loving it until I pulled it off the 'Strom for a business trip only to find it a brick when I got to Charlotte. Pulled the battery, tried the 'power & +' reset combo, my PC wouldn't recognize it, it wouldn't charge or power on via USB, and wouldn't come on when back in the cradle on the 'Strom. Garmin's replacing it.

Anybody else had this sort of problem? If so, any known causes other than random component failure?

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
From what I've heard that is not an uncommon problem. Everything is fine until you turn it off and the next time you try and use it there is nothing. A friend told me of several people on Alaska trips having the exact same problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
zumo problems

I bought a Zumo 450 about a month ago. Immediately upon trying it I noticed some static from my headphones. I them tapped the unit and got the sound to fade in and out from one side of my earbuds. I called tech support and they said it must be a problem with the way the Zumo is fitting in the mount. So they sent me another one. Just put it on today. SAME PROBLEM!

Sound fading in and out of my earbuds and static. I know it's not my earbuds and I'm convinced Garmin not only knows about this problem but is being deceptive about it. I think it's highly unlikely that I just happened to get two defects in a row. They need to fess up about this defect and pull them off the shelves or at least be candid about the problem and revise the mount.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I bought a Zumo 450 about a month ago. Immediately upon trying it I noticed some static from my headphones
Try cleaning the connectors with something like Caig D5 or denatured alcohol. All new audio connectors have a light non-conductive film on them that causes this type of problem.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Anybody else had this sort of problem? If so, any known causes other than random component failure?
It happened once to me a year ago, but battery removal/reset fixed it and it never happened again. Do you have the newest firmware? I know. I know. It's a brick now, but when you get the new unit, make sure you do.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Carry-on, with my laptop and iPod (both of which survived the trip just fine).

Sounds like you got a dud if the battery reseating did not work. Garmin sells allot of these world wide, very few failures are reported. I had the battery reseating issue occur to my while on a 1700 mile jaunt. Don't give up on Garmin, they place customer service at the top, if it fails ya, they will take care of you. I am very sure you made a good desicion in your choice of GPS and your next one will be trouble free. Considering the environment of a motorcycle mounted GPS, I feel the reseating of the battery to be expected, not a real issue for me providing it does not happen everytime I ride and its an occasional problem. If you have any more issues with your new unit, work with Garmin, they will address it to your satisfaction...guaranteed!

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
I've not experienced any problems with my Zumo 550. I've had it since Aug 2007 and it is mounted on the bike and used every day. I remove it at work and re-install it for the ride home. Been on 3 long rides (500 - 800 miles each) so far.

Here's me knocking on wood.

·
Registered
22 Posts
zumo static

Try cleaning the connectors with something like Caig D5 or denatured alcohol. All new audio connectors have a light non-conductive film on them that causes this type of problem.
I contacted Garmin again and they overnighted a new mount to me. The new mount fits the Zumo with a tighter fit and now the static is gone. I think the had a bad run of mounts but Garmin ended up resolving the issue for me. I'm a happy trooper now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts