StromTrooper banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Anyone up in the Stevens Point/Wasau area? Or know of any good rides in the area? Moving up there end of June
Moving there from the Oconomowoc area?

Sometime I'd like to organize a cheesehead ride in WI
Maybe meet at a Madison West side dealer then ride to The Dells for lunch, or something.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Has anyone in this group rode the Trans Wisconsin Trail? If you have any experience with this or know of who may, please post.

I am hoping to get this in the last week of July and am looking for gpx files of the trail.

Kevin
I am doing the Trans Wisconsin the first week in June. I can give you some feedback after that.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Moving there from the Oconomowoc area?

Sometime I'd like to organize a cheesehead ride in WI
Maybe meet at a Madison West side dealer then ride to The Dells for lunch, or something.
A HS classmate of mine is co-owner of Engelhart's in Madison; I expect he'd be happy to spring for some donuts and coffee for a meet at his dealership.

Once there, you're only 20 minutes from the edge of the the Alphabet Roads of the Driftless Area. Lots of great riding out there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm from Central Illinois, but my wife and I get up to the Baraboo/Dells area a couple times every year. A few years ago I trailered my Wee when we came up and camped at the Dells KOA. It rained every day except one, so we hit the road and enjoyed the countryside. We took a lot of alphabet (county) roads and a couple state routes. I thought this option was particularly interesting.

Last year we came across from Madison, and stayed at a Victorian Bed & Breakfast in Lodi. We were traveling by car, but I took note of all the hilly, curvy roads that have potential for an awesome back road m/c tour. We ate at a place right along Lake Wisconsin, call Lucky's on the Lake. The road where it's located - Highway V - runs over a levy separating a small portion of the lake. Warning: LARGE portions of food.

I've also traveled (by car) to that area coming up through Mt. Horeb, Black Earth, and Sauk City. More hilly, curvy roads to make the ride interesting. I have a m/c ride planned in BaseCamp that will take me north on that route, to get to Baraboo. We like to stay at the Willowood Inn on Highway DL. We've been there so many times that we've become friends with the owner, Linda. Warning #2: Stay away from room #8. It's haunted! I kid you not. If you want an outstanding meal, and you like REALLY good cocktails, you have to eat at Driftless Glen Distillery, in Baraboo. It's a little pricey but you won't regret it if you appreciate really fine food.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'm from Central Illinois, but my wife and I get up to the Baraboo/Dells area a couple times every year. A few years ago I trailered my Wee when we came up and camped at the Dells KOA. It rained every day except one, so we hit the road and enjoyed the countryside. We took a lot of alphabet (county) roads and a couple state routes. I thought this option was particularly interesting.

Last year we came across from Madison, and stayed at a Victorian Bed & Breakfast in Lodi. We were traveling by car, but I took note of all the hilly, curvy roads that have potential for an awesome back road m/c tour. We ate at a place right along Lake Wisconsin, call Lucky's on the Lake. The road where it's located - Highway V - runs over a levy separating a small portion of the lake. Warning: LARGE portions of food.

I've also traveled (by car) to that area coming up through Mt. Horeb, Black Earth, and Sauk City. More hilly, curvy roads to make the ride interesting. I have a m/c ride planned in BaseCamp that will take me north on that route, to get to Baraboo. We like to stay at the Willowood Inn on Highway DL. We've been there so many times that we've become friends with the owner, Linda. Warning #2: Stay away from room #8. It's haunted! I kid you not. If you want an outstanding meal, and you like REALLY good cocktails, you have to eat at Driftless Glen Distillery, in Baraboo. It's a little pricey but you won't regret it if you appreciate really fine food.
Yup, my backyard is a great place to ride

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, it's the first week of July. How'd that ride go?
The ride was a lot of fun. I really liked the route but we only allowed for three days which was not sufficient despite riding for around 10 hours a day. It really is a four day route to be able to take it all in. I rode a DRZ with Pirelli mt21 knobby tires which worked very well with the sand in the northern sections. I had 3.7 gallons of fuel which was easy to manage. I had a trash can windscreen on the bike which helped immensely on the road sections. The other DRZ had a stock fuel tank and he hit reserve at least once, gas can be a little skimpy if your bike struggles to go 120 miles or so. Also in the group was a dr650 and a KLR. All three bikes worked well but the KLR struggled a little on it’s 50/50 tires on the narrower technical sections. The flip side is that it was more comfortable on the roads. The DRZ was a great choice for me for everything except the ride home at the end. That got a little long on the smaller bike.

There are two bridges that are out crossing water. The first one can be ridden through as a water crossing. The second bridge requires a reroute as the water is deep and wide.

The Delta Diner is a must stop, the food is definitely worth it. The middle third of the ride was the most fun but a person would definitely struggle on a bigger bike unless your skills are quite good. We ran across a couple on a big BMW GS which was having difficulties with the narrow, rocky trail sections. On a smaller dual sport bike, it was a blast. Lots of sand, rocks, twisty trails, water crossings etc.

I absolutely would like to go back and hit the sections I missed along with middle stuff that was so much fun. I do not really need to do the first third again. Mostly gravel roads in the driftless region. Pretty, but once is enough. Black river falls on north was a real blast and I would like to do it again next year.

Jeff

·
Registered
47 Posts
I believe I'll be sticking to Door Co and perhaps a ride up and along Bay Du Noc if I can find some time. I hope to clear up a few days on my schedule next week.
That's the one good thing living along the lake. It's rare when you can't find a place to cool off.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I believe I'll be sticking to Door Co and perhaps a ride up and along Bay Du Noc if I can find some time. I hope to clear up a few days on my schedule next week.
That's the one good thing living along the lake. It's rare when you can't find a place to cool off.

I was just planning a route through Door County for an early August ride. I'll be taking the long way 'round from Madison to visit my parents in the Manitowoc/TR area. I've never ridden through Door Co. before, so thought I'd give it a shot. Right now my route pretty much follows the lakeshore all the way around. But if you have any suggestions for can't-miss roads in the area, please let me know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was just planning a route through Door County for an early August ride. I'll be taking the long way 'round from Madison to visit my parents in the Manitowoc/TR area. I've never ridden through Door Co. before, so thought I'd give it a shot. Right now my route pretty much follows the lakeshore all the way around. But if you have any suggestions for can't-miss roads in the area, please let me know.

If you pay attention to the little roads that truly folow the lakeshore without dead-ending, there are some really sweet roads and sights. Going up and around is different when you look closely at the fine print, rather than just going on the county roads that follow the shore.

Make sure to stop in at AC Tap in bailey's Harbor for the fresh fried pork rinds. A basket of still sizzling goodness for $2

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just found this thread. I'm just west of Green bay, North of Little chute in the Freeedom/Seymour area. White 2015 V1000 new from Kens sports last year. Just passed 10K miles.

Been doing some off road riding up North Wabeno, Suring, Mountain, Lakewood areas. Just registered for OHM. Have 2 sets of Shinkos I spoon back and forth depending on type of riding I have planned.

Looking at taking off a week in the next month to either do an up and back run on the TWAT, or head west towards Yellowstone and the Rockies south to Colorado and back. Undecided yet.

I daily commute to different locations between Freedom, Ledgeview, Denmark Sherwood and occasionally Fon du lac area.

Seen a few Stroms around.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Berksglh -

I am in Green Bay, and have ridden the Trans Wisconsin a couple times. I am a recovering BMW rider and am on a '15 650 XT. This summer I would like to ride the UP loop or MA BDR.

Up for a ride?

Kevin

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm out in Milwaukee with a 2018 650XT. Looking forward to headed back up to northern WI and the UP later this year for another motocamping trip. Did my first one this year, and it was an awesome experience. Already looking forward to round 2.

I'll likely make it out to the SCR this fall, so maybe I'll run into some of you guys and gals.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts