StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway to stop the header pipe from turning blue?
Most Japanese bikes usually ran a pipe within a pipe so that the chrome did not discolor.

Any suggestions on how to stop this from the get go?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Keep running the engine until it turns straw colored and eventually brown. The color change is a property of the material's reaction to heat. There isn't anything practical to do about it except get a different exhaust and that with have its characteristic color pattern. There is no double wall exhaust available. The surface can be polished back to its original color by removing the microscopic colored layer using the mild abrasive in the polish. Heat the metal again and the process will happen again though.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
1---Nickel plate the pipe (tough to do right on stainless; takes a very good plating shop)
2---Just ride and let muddy water bake onto the pipe (my solution).

·
Registered
90 Posts
The fiist and only day I rode my adv.bike, I rode it 550 miles. The blue exhaust pipe looked like it was on a motor that had 50 thousand miles on it. We were amazed hot the pipe turned blue. When I ride my bike to the dealer on Tues. for my 600 mile check, it will be noted about my concern. Later next week I will put another 2500 miles on it going to and from Phoenix. HB

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Don't be concerned. As has been said, it's normal for single wall pipes.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The only single wall pipes I ever saw that didn't turn blue was on my '71 Honda with the original head pipes. But, talk about "thick" pipes...:beatnik:

·
Registered
15,249 Posts
If you must have clean pipe, Bar Keepers Friend, a stainless cleaning powder does a good job.
another way was to spray a heat retardant paint down the inside of the pipe. I did that with my Kerkers back in the 70's.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Jet Hot and similar ceramic coatings have a polished-look 1300°F coating available:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jet hot...

My friend did his klr pipe using this company. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Some of the exotic Italian bikes look they come off the assembly line with various shades of amber and blue on the pipes. I think it kind of looks cool myself. Most bikes don't even have chrome pipes anymore do they?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts