StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - I am going to wear out the anakee IIs on my wee this summer and have been reading posts on the k60s but most are old posts, really old - so can anyone link me to someones longer term update or provide one here for us? Of course i am open to tire suggestions - i do about 60/40 tarmac/gravel...

Thanks everyone and ride safe

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Mitas E07 works well on my Wee, probably going to get around 25,000 km on the rear one.

They are similar to the K60 but cheaper to buy.

There was a recall on some of the 19" front Mitas tyres, but I was lucky as I had a Mefo Explorer fitted on the front.
All the recalled tyres have now been replaced I believe, there is a Mitas thread on ADVrider that has full information on it if you are worried about the recall.

Personally I prefer the Mitas as they have a rounder profile than the Heidenau does.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Here in the states, there is no dealer for the Mitas. You can order them from Canada, but with shipping, they get spendy.

To answer the OP, I've put about 8500 miles on the front and 2500 on the back. I just got back from a trip to Moab. I won't run any other tire now. Front is still great. No issues whatsoever, except they are noisy.

·
Registered
813 Posts
My K60's are at about 7,500km. Rear has about 3mm tread depth, front looks like it came from the shop except for the lack of chicken strips. Heading into winter here but I think they'll last me through to summer - I hope to get 10,000km at least.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
The only surprise has been the rear on a wet cattle grid, otherwise, fine.

You can push quite hard once you get used to having more grip leaned than upright.

They wouldn't be my first choice for riding only on seal, but they make the occasional dirt road very easy.

Pete

·
Registered
565 Posts
Just mounted them..

I've got less than 500 miles on mine. I started to mount the front tire using spoons (as much to get some practice as anything) and that puppy has one stiff carcass. I couldn't do it. The shop commented on it. The rear was even more difficult.

They ARE loud. I can feel the lugs when I ride on pavement. I've only taken them onto gravel so far. I'll see how the go on the TWAT.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input

I am seriously considering these - my riding is mixed here in the shenandoah valley with some gravel roads and occasionally i find one goes from pavement to gravel to muddy slippery mess and would like to have a little more bite in those instances without giving up much on the asphalt as we do have nice twisty roads here too :thumbup:

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have around 12,000 km on my rear K-60. I just measured the tread depth and have about 3.50 mm left before it hits the wear bar.
I mounted it for my Trans Lab trip and it is now my tire of choice for the rear.
I can't comment on the front as I had a TKC 80 up front which didn't hold up nearly as well as the rear K-60.
I just removed it and replaced it with a Shinko.
Should be a good combination for the type of riding I enjoy.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Mitas E07 works well on my Wee, probably going to get around 25,000 km on the rear one.

They are similar to the K60 but cheaper to buy.

There was a recall on some of the 19" front Mitas tyres, but I was lucky as I had a Mefo Explorer fitted on the front.
All the recalled tyres have now been replaced I believe, there is a Mitas thread on ADVrider that has full information on it if you are worried about the recall.

Personally I prefer the Mitas as they have a rounder profile than the Heidenau does.
:headbang:I have called the distributor twice about the E-07 to get some information on what is different about the regular tire and the Dakar tire besides the yellow strip. both times promised to call me back. As you have used the tire, did you buy the Dakar or the regular tire? Do youknow the difference?:thumbup:

·
Registered
618 Posts
The K-60s have been the best I tire have experienced, but I am still uncertain whether they are worth the price. For me, they seem to last about 1.5 to 1.75 times as long as the Shinkos, but cost twice as much. Base on dollar per mile, the Shinkos seem a better deal. As far as performance, I do prefer the K-60s, but it's not a big difference.

·
Registered
164 Posts
In short they are loud and feel weird, but they are really good tires.

Street: After I got used to the vague feelings you get turning etc. on the street you can lean them pretty hard in the turns. After a thousand miles or so they smooth out considerably. It seems to me at higher lean angles there is actually more rubber contact. I have a little over 3,000 miles on mine and they have very little wear.

Dirt: Way better then stock tires,and just about any 80/20(road/dirt) type tire. However, they are not full knob type tires and do have limits. I absolutely love them off road.

I run them at 33psi front and rear when it is just me on the bike. I don't air down for off road. They are expensive but were available locally ( I could have saved a few $$ from rev zilla but wanted to support the local shop), if they last as long as they have for many other riders they will have certainly been worth the money.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks everyone

Nothing better than real feedback, i appreciate it - so far still looks like the k60s are the tires for me...

·
Registered
498 Posts
:headbang:I have called the distributor twice about the E-07 to get some information on what is different about the regular tire and the Dakar tire besides the yellow strip. both times promised to call me back. As you have used the tire, did you buy the Dakar or the regular tire? Do youknow the difference?:thumbup:
Extra belt stiffer sidewall, I've been eying these for some time. but as stated the shipping makes them almost as expensive as k60's

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I can't comment much on the longevity but I really like the performance.
They might be a little looser feeling on the road but it isn't an accurate reflection of the grip.
Once you're onto gravel, they are a terrific tire. Good grip and lots of confidence.
I find most "adventure/dual-purpose" tires look like street tires and don't inspire a lot of confidence on gravel where you actually want a tire that will grab hold. K60's do.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
One tip for the K60's, they squirm a lot less if you cut off all the strings left from the injectors. The rubber is a lot tougher than average and they take forever to wear away naturally. Normally I wouldn't bother - but - big improve in road feel doing that.

Pete

·
Registered
164 Posts
Update: I have put another 1500 miles on since I posted earlier ( about 4500 total on this set). I still love the heidenau k60s they are one tough tire. The front still looks new minus most of the whiskers being knocked off. The front loves to squirm on tar snakes but I have just learned to trust it you can lean really well with them.The rear shows 50% life remaining maybe more?

I had a small stint of trouble with the rear in the dirt (sand) where a knobby would be been better. The road got very sandy and the rear was spinning and not getting much traction. When I was trying to go up hill, this was a very narrow steep jeep road just to keep in mind...

As a note from all the off road riding they are starting to get ripped up very slightly, surface cuts and tears very shallow. In my opinion a softer more road type tire probably would be shredded by now.

They are acceptable in the rain, I would not push them.

Everyone has a different opinion, let us know if you try them.

·
Registered
813 Posts
One issue yesterday: hard to wheelie on wet tar with 'em :biggrinjester:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts