StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I have found a good deal for a 2009 Wee Strom in Kingston Ontario. I have arranged shipping and now I'm down to the brass works of the deal. Finances have been agreed upon but being the bike is 2400 miles away how do I ensure that I'm not getting taken by the seller. Is there any way to confirm if there is a lien on the bike other than asking the owner. I'm going to ask he provide a photocopy of the VIN and also his insurance showing his name and the correct VIN.

Any other advice anyone can give me regarding a long distance purchase. I would like to make this as painless for both parties

Cheers
Al

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Have a third party complete the transaction for you? Is it a new bike or a used bike? Private party or dealer? Is the deal too good for anyone closer to you to come close in price? Do local dealers just roll their eyes when you give them the price you found?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'm surprised that it would be worth buying a bike from all the way across Canada in terms of savings.

If you are going through that hassle, why not just look down South instead?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I sold a couple of my bikes through eBay without any issues. However, I was the seller and I have a great feedback rating (nearly 100% with over two hundred feedbacks). Does he have a good feeback rating?

·
Registered
703 Posts
If you are worried about liens, do a title search through a title search firm. They will charge you, but it will be thorough.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Why not fly in and ride it home...Pay for it after you have checked it out and done a test ride. Ask the seller to pick you up at the airport. It'll be a nice ride home to bond with your new bike. Regardless of where you buy a used bike do a CarFax search (Free on Calgary Finder.com) and as suggested, a lien check....always

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
ON-->MB-->SK-->AB.....that's just wrong imo...unless you're a superslab fanatic.

Besides, it's the middle of Aug.....gonna be winter on prairies soon anyway...LOL
NoNoNo...go south through Deadwood and Yellowstone...awsome trip.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Anyone around Kingston that can go look at the condition of the bike for this fellow? Al, could that happen if someone is willing?

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Anyone around Kingston that can go look at the condition of the bike for this fellow? Al, could that happen if someone is willing?
Good idea.

Maybe Drif10 on ADVRider.com would be willing to eyeball the bike for you.

The above-mentioned UVIP should cover the legal concerns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts