StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I'm looking at getting an '02, and I'm wondering if there's anything in particular that might make me reconsider, or anything to just keep an eye out for, etc.

Also, could someone tell me what the alternator output on an '02 is? That is, can it handle an electric vest and a couple of doodads? (phone, Ham radio, etc)

Thanks!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Alternator output for 2002 was 360 watts but later versions had 400. It will (barely) handle a full heated jacket liner (some would say heated vest only at 360 watts) but not much more in terms of combining heated gear without doing some mods ie turning one headlamp off. A cell phone uses very little draw. I'm assuming you're joking about the ham radio.

A good way to get a sense of what your bike will power is to go to the powerlet.com website for your specific bike. It will tell you how much excess electrical capacity it has and what that equates to in terms of running accessories. These bikes are built to a price point and one means of meeting that low price is a bare bones alternator. It's something that the average rider doesn't think about on the showroom floor unlike the shiny paint etc.

As for issues...the DL1000 has the well known engine issues documented on the forum in multiple places. In summary many people find the bike doesn't run well at a certain RPM without a powercommander remap. Other than that issue they are pretty much bulletproof and you shouldn't hesitate to get on board. I wouldn't automatically dismiss the 650 unless you're buying this to tour two-up, despite the modest displacement it's a great performer at a lower price and most would agree a more trouble-free engine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A friend of mine bought a 02 this year, I bought a 03 and we are really happy with them..

The 02 runs excellent.. I did have some chudder issues by the guys fixed it for me..

None of us have had the running problems that are posted in some forums..

Just check it carefully, take it for a spin (chudder Is annoying) ..

Good luck !

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
My 02 has been running strong. Only issue has been a water pump seal. I believe it was from the PO not changing radiator fluid properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts