StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
I need some help from our members in SoCal. I am planning an extended trip with my fiancé. Based on the mileage we plan on doing, I’ll be do for most likely a valve adjustment, TBS sync, oil change and possible a set of tires somewhere in the SoCal area.

Can anyone make a suggestion for a reasonably priced shop that does good quality work? Or is anyone willing to help out at home to pick up some spare $$$. I don’t really feel like doing it somewhere outside a hotel. I figure I’ll be putting on about 5,000+ miles on this trip and I don’t want to put if off that much.

Unfortunately I have no time to do it myself at the moment either as I am continuously traveling for work at the moment or if I am home, it is only for about 12 hours ever week or so. So any suggestions/recommendations? My itinerary is somewhat flexible. I’ll start outside of Chicago and work my way to SoCal and be there for about 7-8 days before heading up the coast. I don’t mind going to one shop for tires and another for the maintenance.

I searched through this forum and didn't come up with anything. Anywhere from San Diego to San Fran would most likely work. I still hate the traffic there but I'll tolerate it to find a good shop on the trip.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I'll expand the request. Any suggestions for a shop anywhere along the Pacific Coast between San Diego and Washington state? Even inland a bit is ok. I'll likely be taking PCH along the coast but I"d detour a bit for a good shop/mechanic.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I live on the coast midway between LA and SF, and have the harbor freight tire changing machine. You can have you tires shipped here if you think your old ones will last that distance. I use dynabeads for balancing myself, don't have a balancer. As for shops I know of 2 independant shops in San Luis Obispo although the hourly rate is like $80-90 an hr as i recall- maybe do that locally before you leave??.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
no kidding. a tb sync aught to last 5,000 miles. and valves cetainly will. oil and tires is piece-a-cake. only problem is time. i don't know any shop in my area that can do either one while you wait if you just ride in. just too busy.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem is I am not home. I am on the road almost 7 days a week for work. I will be home 1 day, this Sat. evening before I leave. No way I can get it to the shop as they will be closed when I arrive. I just put a new tire on the rear 1,000 miles ago. Its a Tourance and the first one I"ve tried. I have no idea how long it will go on some of the roads I plan to ride.

Knightstrom - I appreciate your kind offer. I might take you up on it. We can talk offline. Worst case scenario if I don't show up you get a set of free tires. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
best of luck DayTripin

I know the feeling of not being able to have the time, anytime, at home.
Wish I could help.
Its gonna be great-!
-DT

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't wait to ride. Only downside is my fiance may not be back in time to ride with me. She flew to take care of her mom who was supposed to have open heart surgery. Things so far haven't gone according to plan. I am pretty much stuck with the days I can take off so I'll end up going even if she can't go.

If I don't use my vacation time before the end of the year I lose it. I have no plans to donate it to the company! It could be cool to meet up with some other Strom riders on my trip.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I like the Yamaha shop near me. They don't care if you're on a suzuki or not. They'll work on it. The owners a nice guy. Yamaha of Pasadena Ca.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Vey's powersports in San Diego is a good shop.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips. I'll try giving them a call in advance. I don't know if the Yamaha shop would be up to the valve adjustment but I might be able to hold off on it until I get back home.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Marina Suzuki North of LAX

Not sure when your trip was planned for.
I bought a used Wee from Laura at Marina Suzuki in Marina Del Ray just south of Santa Monica and North of LAX airport a couple months ago. I have not had service there yet but plan on trying them. They certainly did a nice job getting the used bike ready for sale so far as I can tell. Very friendly shop and she, Laura, was ever so patient with me while I was deciding, no pressure sales, of course perhaps she can afford to be. I just had/have a good feeling about them for what thats worth ... Their website is a bit on the weak side ...
Best riding to you two.
-Dan

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tip. I may have to look into it. I'll be in Long Beach for a few days and Santa Monica isn't far away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts