StromTrooper banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own a 2018 1000 and a 2017 650 and looking at side case systems.

I would like to buy 1 rack system and 1 set of side cases ... bolt that rack on the 650 first, take some trips, then later move the rack system to the 1000 and take some trips on that bike.

It is obviously pretty easy to have cases that can go between the bikes, but from some searching around it seems the rack systems are different. Searching and getting a bit confused and thought maybe someone on here has looked into this before?

And yes, I could buy a rack system for the 1000 and buy another for the 650, just trying to be thrifty. :) (Maybe save $280 or so)
I haven’t checked these guys in a while but back when I put my cases on my 650 many years ago, the happy trails pannier system was the same for the 1000 and the 650. These guys are out of Idaho and make high-quality no-frills panniers. I’ve been really happy with mine for the money. You might look at them.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Check out my post reply here. It covers my thoughts on the side cases / bags and has some helpful links.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own a 2018 1000 and a 2017 650 and looking at side case systems.

I would like to buy 1 rack system and 1 set of side cases ... bolt that rack on the 650 first, take some trips, then later move the rack system to the 1000 and take some trips on that bike.

It is obviously pretty easy to have cases that can go between the bikes, but from some searching around it seems the rack systems are different. Searching and getting a bit confused and thought maybe someone on here has looked into this before?

And yes, I could buy a rack system for the 1000 and buy another for the 650, just trying to be thrifty. :) (Maybe save $280 or so)
I replied to you earlier but saw your latest post and wanted to add another comment

If you have an installed a set of panniers before you’re going to find that the racks that hold the panniers are pretty beefy and require a little bit of effort to get on your bike. The good quality ones are made this way anyway. The system I mentioned to you, happy trails, would not be a good choice to try to be taking the rack on and off. Way too much work. They very solidly mount to hard points on the motorcycle frame. But the panniers themselves would be interchangeable between the racks that they sell regardless of the bike. You might check them out, I think they’re the best bang for the buck in a no-frills pannier out there.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts