StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2018 1000 and a 2017 650 and looking at side case systems.

I would like to buy 1 rack system and 1 set of side cases ... bolt that rack on the 650 first, take some trips, then later move the rack system to the 1000 and take some trips on that bike.

It is obviously pretty easy to have cases that can go between the bikes, but from some searching around it seems the rack systems are different. Searching and getting a bit confused and thought maybe someone on here has looked into this before?

And yes, I could buy a rack system for the 1000 and buy another for the 650, just trying to be thrifty. :) (Maybe save $280 or so)

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Seems unlikley to me -- the mount points for racks are going to differ from one model to the next. Maybe there's a way to make DIY adapter hardware to use the same rack across both models, but I've never seen anyone do such a thing.

·
Registered
2015 V-Strom DL650A
70 Posts
The answer is yes. You will need seperate pannier racks for each bike, specific to their frame, but they can both have the same bag locking system for whatever bag set you get, which would save you close to $800 for a pair of bags for the second bike. That's the goal, yeah?

Re-read question and looked around some. Revzilla has a givi rack listed that has over 100 bikes listed under fitment. Problem is, it's currently out of stock, and I'd almost gaurentee youd need different hardware specific to each bike before being able to mount the actual rack. So itd take some more research, and maybe a message to the vendor to see if they can give you two hardware packages for one rack set. But it seems possible. Or, do what ThirdOfThree said and just make your own hardware for the second bike, assuming it needs to change. I just made a full set of hardware for my used oem racks that came without hardware. So it's possible.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The answer is yes. You will need seperate pannier racks for each bike, specific to their frame, but they can both have the same bag locking system for whatever bag set you get, which would save you close to $800 for a pair of bags for the second bike. That's the goal, yeah?
Well, I am even cheaper than that! I was thinking of moving the entire rack and bags over between bikes.

But I guess worse case I but 2 sets of racks (bike specific) and 1 set of side cases. I guess I was hoping there were some racks that were generic enough to fit both ... saving $280 ish.

Like maybe the Givi Rapid Release rack system ... will look into this more ... maybe buy one for the V-Strom 1000 and see if I can just get the mounting parts for the 650.

·
Registered
2015 V-Strom DL650A
70 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Seems unlikley to me -- the mount points for racks are going to differ from one model to the next. Maybe there's a way to make DIY adapter hardware to use the same rack across both models, but I've never seen anyone do such a thing.
And I agree. From my experience there is no set of racks that will fit on both bike.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Edited original while you were replying to it. This is the rack I found btw:

Originally searched with your 650 in the que, but check the "fitment" tab and look at all the other bikes listed.
It lists a bunch of other bikes, but if you click on them, it brings up a different part number.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The best (& easiest) solution is a set of the Suzuki plastic side cases which fit 14up 1000 1050 & 17up 650s
The upper mounts are the same between 1000 & 650. Only the lower rubber bumper mounts are different.
There is someone with a complete setup w cases for sale at $400. Not sure which bike theyre for. You would only need the lower mounts for the other bike.( pretty sure the 1000 & 1050 lower mounts are the same & Suzy sells em for 1050 separately)

Next best option mite be the Shad 3P setup.... or the Givi Quick Release for 1000 with xtra upper & lower mounting points (lowers easily adapted for 650 use)
Both these setups mount to the same upper bolts as the Suzuki cases

One last option would be SW Motech Quick Release racks which mount to the rear luggage rack bolts. Plastic rear Luggage racks are shared between 1000 1050 & 650..pretty sure. & again the lower fwd mount would need adapting & xtra upper mount tabs for 2nd bike

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
If $280 is a show stopper for something pre-made why not roll you own.

I know in the past when trying to be frugal and make my own things it usually only cost me twice as much and takes 2 or 3 times as long to build (y)

Or of $280 is too much buy soft bags that can be moved from bike to bike. Sure they are not hard panniers but if you're going to be cheap your going to have to make sacrifices.

·
Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
676 Posts
This is the Touratech system. Best panniers I have used to date. The one on the non exhaust side is bigger. The brackets are robust and well mounted.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input. I checked out the Givi Rapid Release system ... I was thinking something like that could work ... looked at the install PDF for the 650 and the 1000 and the rack pieces and the ?control bar both have different part numbers. Bummer.

Part of this is just not to have a bunch of stuff clogging up the garage. :) And apply the ~$280 towards something like oil/filter/tires.

I'll check out the SW Motech Quick Release racks, thanks!

As for the Suzuki OEM cases, I like how they are tight to the bike, helps with CA lane splitting (sharing), but not the greatest capacity for heading out on a long trip.

·
Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
676 Posts
As for the Suzuki OEM cases, I like how they are tight to the bike, helps with CA lane splitting (sharing), but not the greatest capacity for heading out on a long trip.
They are neat sure, but have a troublesome locking system and poor space. I eventually gave mine away.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The SW Motech carriers look to be the easiest to fit on both the 650 & 1000

The upper mount tabs under the stock rear luggage rack look very similar & the rear cross brace does too...attaching to the license plate boss on both bikes. Only the front lower mount is slightly different due to the rear footpeg bracket/subframe.

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
Shad P3 might. You would have to check.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I am even cheaper than that! I was thinking of moving the entire rack and bags over between bikes.

But I guess worse case I but 2 sets of racks (bike specific) and 1 set of side cases. I guess I was hoping there were some racks that were generic enough to fit both ... saving $280 ish.

Like maybe the Givi Rapid Release rack system ... will look into this more ... maybe buy one for the V-Strom 1000 and see if I can just get the mounting parts for the 650.
I own a 2018 1000 and a 2017 650 and looking at side case systems.

I would like to buy 1 rack system and 1 set of side cases ... bolt that rack on the 650 first, take some trips, then later move the rack system to the 1000 and take some trips on that bike.

It is obviously pretty easy to have cases that can go between the bikes, but from some searching around it seems the rack systems are different. Searching and getting a bit confused and thought maybe someone on here has looked into this before?

And yes, I could buy a rack system for the 1000 and buy another for the 650, just trying to be thrifty. :) (Maybe save $280 or so)
I have a 2014 V Strom 1000 ATV, it came with the factory side cases. I know also on a 2018 V Strom 650 XT which did not come with Bags. I have had no problem whatsoever putting the bags from the 1000 onto the 650. As they both use the same amounts which came on the 1000. I have since upgraded to very expensive Bumont panniers and I was surprised that I had to buy separate brackets, and they were quite expensive. I am looking to sell my stock ones with all the hardware if you are interested. They are a bit small but they work very well and they look good. I would be happy to send pictures of the bags on both bikes. Thank you , Michael

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 V Strom 1000 ATV, it came with the factory side cases. I know also on a 2018 V Strom 650 XT which did not come with Bags. I have had no problem whatsoever putting the bags from the 1000 onto the 650. As they both use the same amounts which came on the 1000. I have since upgraded to very expensive Bumont panniers and I was surprised that I had to buy separate brackets, and they were quite expensive. I am looking to sell my stock ones with all the hardware if you are interested. They are a bit small but they work very well and they look good. I would be happy to send pictures of the bags on both bikes. Thank you , Michael
Looks like I should proofread, but I think you can decipher

1 - 20 of 23 Posts