StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has been sitting a couple months. But bike wouldn't start up. I turned the ignition switch to ON, the bike made a long squeeking sound but stopped, the lights were on but when i hit the start button, the entire electrical system shut off completely, no lights, no read out, clock set to 1am. I keep my battery charged regularly and it reads 12.6 volts. I waited a few minutes, and turned the ignition on and this time, nothing, completely dead. I checked all the fuses, no issue. rechecked the battery connection, no issue. ANy suggestions on what else I could check or a decent dealership that could give me an honest accessment/price? I live in Marietta, GA. Never had issues of any kind prior to this.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Battery is maybe shot. Sometimes they read ok for voltage but can't carry any load.

Just happened to me in fact.

Sent from my droid.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
That clock reset means the clock isn't always getting enough power. It's almost always the battery or the connections to the battery. Check the connections and have the battery load tested,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I would be grateful if it's only the battery. I'll take the suggestion and have it load tested.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I would be grateful if it's only the battery. I'll take the suggestion and have it load tested.
Hey Bellelolly,

This means you ain't ridin' enough. When you wanna get out to N. Georgia?

If you need a Battery Tender, let me know and I'll let you borrow mine.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hey Bellelolly,

This means you ain't ridin' enough. When you wanna get out to N. Georgia?

If you need a Battery Tender, let me know and I'll let you borrow mine.
+1 on the not riding enough. Remember, riding is good for your mental health, you never see motorcycles outside of a psychiatrists office.

I will be camping in the Smokey's the week end of the 16'th if you get your bike on the road and want to come visit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input from everyone. I'm happy to report that I cleaned up the battery connections with some sandpaper and I also checked the main fuse (off the positive cable) and although it didn't look blown, I swapped it out with my spare. The bike started right up with no issues. So not sure which was the real issue, but I suspect it was the battery connections. Odd the connections didn't look bad, but I sanded down to a shine. I guess the smallest bit of grime can wreak havoc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts