StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me out. Trying to decide what used strom to get, primarily for an Alaska trip next June. Were ther any issues with the 2002 DL1000s that you could tell me about? Were there must-have improvements made in the later models?

Thank!

·
Registered
504 Posts
02's were lower on available wattage, so you won't be able to hook up as many gizmos to them. They also share the chudder problem with other models, a problem in the clutch basket that creates heavy vibration in the 2.5-4k rpm ranges, depending. Other than that, I don't know of any serious problems that plague the model, but I'm not the expert here either.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm pretty certain it can, but someone else should chime in...

·
Registered
663 Posts
DL1000 updates by year:
DL1000 Through the Years!

Specified stator output at speed upped from 350w to 400w in 2003, but I don't believe the stator from later
years can be used on the K2. It's only 50w, not much difference, unless you plan serious lighting changes.

It's a kind of catch22. Using too many watts would interfere with battery charging, but stator failure seems
tied to heat when dissapating any extra (unused) watts! Stator Failure:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...rging-system-problems-yes-no-what-bike-3.html

I've had no problem with my 2002 Vee, but installed the more efficient MOSFET R/R this year as a precaution.
Install a volt meter to know the battery is charging with all your gear turned on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please help me out. Trying to decide what used strom to get, primarily for an Alaska trip next June. Were ther any issues with the 2002 DL1000s that you could tell me about? Were there must-have improvements made in the later models?

Thank!
Howdy all, :wave:
I too am looking at a 2002 1000 and am wondering if they should be avoided because of being the first year built...

Thanks a bunch, Phil

·
Registered
926 Posts
From memory they can't use a MadStad adjustable windscreen bracket, which depending on how much buffetting you suffer, could be a major problem ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just bought a 2002 vee a week ago and its just fine. 21k miles and I do not have a regret. Remember they worked out all the kinks with the TL. They did a couple of adjustments to the motor. they toned it down a bit and added better forged pistons. Trust me its nothing like buying a 99 Harley with the first year of fuel injection. My first 4 days riding to work I did on one tank with a 65 mile round trip and stop and go riding as well as I let my bike warm while i have a smoke before i ride. My cooling system works great. My fuel and temp gague are without issue.

If your looking at something you want just farkle up and ride. As for acceosories, just manage them properly. With any bike your best of not running anything all at once. Just use your common sense and you will be fine. No motorcycle is going to run accessories like a diesel 1 ton truck with dual batteries!

A klr 650 has way worse chudder. And i havent noticed any crazy vibration from my clutch area or anywhere on my bike at any rpm.

My impression stands currently as the best bike I have owned and its my 13th motorcycle.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Or you could by a Wee-Strom :fineprint:

Absolutely nothing wrong with them as a long distance tourer either. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
No problem with an '03

I just passed 60,000km on my '03 Vee and it's been pretty much trouble free. The only part I had to replace, other than the normal ones (tires, brakes, etc.) was the Intake Air Temperature sensor.

It's been a reliable machine and oodles of fun.

The other trouble I have with it is keeping the front wheel on the ground. I have become a wheelie girl.

What fun, eh?

If you're going to run much electrical stuff, get a volt meter. Kuryakin makes a nice one.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I put 65,000km on my '02 with few problems. I bought it new in '03. I did have one of the early clutch slave cylinders that leaked, and had the clutch basket replaced, although I'm not sure that the replacement was that much better. I only changed up to the '06 because I got a great deal on the '06. I think the '02 actually ran better stock.

·
Registered
231 Posts
iv'e had 25 motorcycles and the k2 litre is the best bang for buck i've ever owned my girl has 72000k's and i'm just about to do the clutch basket mod...my harley has a quieter clutch and it's a tractor...lol...i only run an autocom and heated grips so my electrical system has been fine bought the bike with 43000k's ...have done the clutch slave cylinder just as a precaution and am doing the waterpump seal when i do the clutch only as a precaution again...maintenance is better than cure...nearly 30k and still have not done any repairs bar the headlight plug in the fairing not making good connection ...just soldered the wire that was at fault...all good..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts