StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if the new model has featured any problems or issue?
First year for new models or new launches frequently present some issues, I would like to know experiences for the new model.

·
Registered
86 Posts
just the recall for a brake light switch nothing else gone wrong ...mind you it is only an update from the older model so should be ok ....

·
Registered
220 Posts
just the recall for a brake light switch nothing else gone wrong ...mind you it is only an update from the older model so should be ok ....
With the recall in effect, dealers cannot sell it without the problem being taken care of. The ONLY problem that I have with it is that I can't keep my ass off it. I look for 'reasons' to go out and ride :yesnod:
I know actually look forward to shopping:yikes:. Overall, I love this bike, I only wish it was a little more powerful, but that is not a major issue.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
How about the vibrations in the handlebars and footpegs? This is kind of a big one for me.

Any other gripes? Minor even.

The underpowered gripe can be helped. Just have to throw a bit more money at it. :mrgreen: Either that or shave some weight off of it. Like a Shorai battery, which I have already.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
How about the vibrations in the handlebars and footpegs? This is kind of a big one for me.
I don't understand. It's a motorcycle, if it's running, you feel it in the pegs and in the grips.

·
Administrator
14,223 Posts

The underpowered gripe can be helped. Just have to throw a bit more money at it. :mrgreen: Either that or shave some weight off of it. Like a Shorai battery, which I have already.
There is no "underpowered gripe". The bike has exactly the amount of power it is supposed to have.

There are riders that are unimaginative, or who don't know how to rev the bike and/or to shift the bike, or who need more power to make up for lack of skill, or who think that they should have bought a sport bike, or any other number of reasons that relate more to their imagination than to any actual power issue on the bike. And some riders just want more power because they do. And all that's okay; but it isn't a shortcoming of the bike itself.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I don't understand. It's a motorcycle, if it's running, you feel it in the pegs and in the grips.
If you are happy sitting on a piece of plywood for hours and your hands going numb, good for you. I'm not really happy with these things.

·
Registered
44 Posts

On my bike, I noticed some buzziness around 7000 rpms when it was new. Now that it's getting broken in, it's smoothed out up there. Under normal operating conditions, it's super smooth.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If you are happy sitting on a piece of plywood for hours and your hands going numb, good for you. I'm not really happy with these things.
I have experienced hand numbness on a bike due to glove fingers being too tight and the bars being too far away. Looser gloves and bar risers fixed both instances. Death grip on the bars doesn't help either.

Some people like the stock seat just fine. If you don't, try a different one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
With the recall in effect, dealers cannot sell it without the problem being taken care of. The ONLY problem that I have with it is that I can't keep my ass off it. I look for 'reasons' to go out and ride :yesnod:
I know actually look forward to shopping:yikes:. Overall, I love this bike, I only wish it was a little more powerful, but that is not a major issue.
I'd rather ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.....jes sayin :mrgreen:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I have a problem getting one.:bom_bigcry:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Be very careful adjusting the headlights.

The reflectors are much closer than on the older models and it's possible to wind them into one another - with distressing results. The adjusters are very stiff and there's no "feel" to give you warning of interference.

My suggestion, adjust them from the front of the bike so you can keep an eye on clearances.

(And my sympathies to Greywolf, we are all looking forward to the frantic farklefest when you do get an L2.)

Pete

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
No vibes on mine, underpowered? I traded in a 1000 V-Strom, less power---yes---noticable in real world riding---NO! It actually has less vibration than my Vee, is much smoother in the motor and wind protection, feels a whole lot lighter, not that the Vee was heavy. My only problem is the gas tank keeps needing more fuel, probably because I'm riding more, @ 57 MPG so far I'm very happy with it! Cheers--BB

·
Registered
4 Posts
My problem too

Not getting enough time to ride my new 2012 is my problem too. This is a great bike. I have a 2002 DL1000 I bought new sitting next to it and this new bike is so more advanced its incredible. Smooth and torquey and great on gas, better wind management, light. Suzuki listend.

I really like it. I tried the Triumph 800xc and BMW F800GS and they have good points too but the Strom is so much what I wanted it was a no brainer buying it.

I am waiting to get through the break-in to open it up but even in its limited operating mode it pulls like a small train.

This is my first post here and I really enjoy reading what all you have to say about the 2012.

Terry
2012 DL650
2002 DL1000
2000 DR650
1970 Yamaha Enduro 90
1964 Vespa VNB 125

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think the bike is great, I rode my 07 year round and liked it. A test ride of a 2012 left me with a giggle fit as I realized this new model is not just different looking, but rides smoother, shifts better and no buffeting that I can feel. In a word it is smooth. I think the orange color even matches my dog.

·
Administrator
18,466 Posts
Not a new model, so not much new that can/could go wrong.:fineprint:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts