StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Power Commander on the Vee2...
I don't think I've seen any reviews from people yet? Do you use one? How do you find the experience afterwards?

·
Administrator
18,211 Posts
Perhaps because it's not needed?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'll be giving a PCFC a go soon. Just waiting for it to arrive from Fuelmoto USA. Currently in transit. I like the idea of smoothing out a bit of the mild low rev herks n jerks that seems to exist in a few bikes (including mine) in the lower rev range and looking to remove the "too lean" condition applied (to most new bikes) to beat emissions rules. Also with aftermarket pipes etc, I think the fueling now needs a further little tweak. For under $300 and ability to store and use 10 maps (while being able to further customise on the go) I figure it's worth a look. Expecting it to arrive this week but will be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to think about putting it on.
Bill.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'll be giving a PCFC a go soon. Just waiting for it to arrive from Fuelmoto USA. Currently in transit. I like the idea of smoothing out a bit of the mild low rev herks n jerks that seems to exist in a few bikes (including mine) in the lower rev range and looking to remove the "too lean" condition applied (to most new bikes) to beat emissions rules. Also with aftermarket pipes etc, I think the fueling now needs a further little tweak. For under $300 and ability to store and use 10 maps (while being able to further customise on the go) I figure it's worth a look. Expecting it to arrive this week but will be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to think about putting it on.
Bill.
I fitted an X-TRE 2 weeks ago and really smoothed out any perceived jerkiness. Also made the bike snappier through the gears. Bargain at under $150. Very happy :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Had my PCFC for a month now. Not much to review but here it is. With the Yosh can, flapper disconnected and O2s removed, the preinstalled map for aftermarket can has reduced decal pop and given me a bit of a power boost. I think. Not sure on the boost, just feel a little more. Watched the vid on eliminating the decal pop and tried the first settings they showed on position 3 and it seemed to produce more pop. The vid shows a number of configs including going to the neg. side of the setting (my first row was set at 15 and they also suggest trying neg. 60(?) and working my way down to 0. For now I am totally satisfied with my installed aft.mark. can setting and maybe after I come back from Alaska I'll try a few more.
One thing they have really done right here is to allow up to 8 positions on the dial, meaning you can install up to 8 maps and manually flick between them. The same thing that happens automatically with PC5 and Autotune and a far greater price.

·
Vendor
5,725 Posts
I've been using the PCFC for a few months as well, but with the full Arrow race exhaust similar to what Toadride has done. http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a-2014/235729-full-arrow-exhaust-power-commander-dyno.html

Since the exhaust mods we have done significantly enhance air flow through the bike, the PCFC is necessary to get the FI back on track. I haven't seen any reports of someone installing a PC on a bike with stock exhaust.

Stromaholic - I suggest you start a new thread about the X-TRE 2. Your the first I've seen post about it (apologies for anyone else who has). It looks like it might increase the fun factor and based on the little that I have read it looks compatible with the other mods discussed on the thread I linked above.

Rick

·
Registered
616 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the PC5 on my bike along with the Arrow race collector, Yoshimura pipe, & Servo Buddy. I've been very happy with the setup. Sounds better and has more pull. I did the pipe first with no PC5, then I added the other mods all at once. The Arrow collector made a huge difference in sound and I'm sure helped with the power gain but I can't say how much because it was installed the same time as the PC5.
If you just want to shed a few pounds and get more growl from the exhaust, just get the muffler only. If you really want to feel and hear a difference in power and sound, do the full setup >> pipe, collector, pc5 or pcfc, servo eliminator.
Ride Safe!
Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, guys.

Has anyone with a PC5 and the O2 eliminators been getting an FI light? I tried the PC on my long-term V-Strom and it kept throwing codes until I finally put the O2 sensors back in line, which partly defeats the purpose of the PC.

With no other mods than the PC and a Holeshot pipe, the bike makes essentially the same peak power, with just a tiny bit more in the upper-mid with the mods.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I am not running any sort of fuel manipulation device, but I have used them on bikes in the past. I've never used one to add more power, but usually to address a shortcoming that is typically caused by programming to appease the EPA. My FJR1300 had a horrible flat spot in the power band that a PC fixed. I ran a race ECU in my Buell Ulysses to cure some lean fueling. The list goes on...

I am not sure what happened over the last few years. Either regulations have loosened up (doubtful) or technology has improved (likely). My last few bikes, a Buell 1125CR, Versys 650, Ninja 1000, and now the Vee2 have all been spot on from the factory. I haven't found any shortcomings in how the bike fuels. I left the stock exhaust on all of those bikes and just rode the snot out of them.

Seems like the early FI systems on bikes always had some sort of glitch that needed to be fixed. A stumble off idle, a flat spot in the power band, overly lean fueling, surging, etc. But it seems as of late, that manufacturers have got the FI dialed in fairly well.

I shudder to ask, as if I haven't noticed it then it's not bothering me, but what is it that folks are looking to fix on the Vee2?

·
Registered
526 Posts
i just got mine,and will install it the second i get the auto tune.
talked to my mechanic .we are installing it because i have a scorpion slipon and a K&N filter. we are going to make it leaner at cruising speeds and less jerky at low rpm at 1 & 2 Gear. but let it give more power when i roll hard on the throttle.
my guy asked me to mark lines on the throttle so i can tell him my throttle position when i am cruising down the highway so he can adjust the map.
wont be for a few weeks but will update you

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Hey, guys.

Has anyone with a PC5 and the O2 eliminators been getting an FI light? I tried the PC on my long-term V-Strom and it kept throwing codes until I finally put the O2 sensors back in line, which partly defeats the purpose of the PC.

With no other mods than the PC and a Holeshot pipe, the bike makes essentially the same peak power, with just a tiny bit more in the upper-mid with the mods.
Assuming the O2 eliminators are the O2 Optomizers, do you have the ones that have the two capacitors (filling all four holes) or just two? That was my problem and after calling the 1-800, was sent the fix.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I am not running any sort of fuel manipulation device, but I have used them on bikes in the past. I've never used one to add more power, but usually to address a shortcoming that is typically caused by programming to appease the EPA. My FJR1300 had a horrible flat spot in the power band that a PC fixed. I ran a race ECU in my Buell Ulysses to cure some lean fueling. The list goes on...

I am not sure what happened over the last few years. Either regulations have loosened up (doubtful) or technology has improved (likely). My last few bikes, a Buell 1125CR, Versys 650, Ninja 1000, and now the Vee2 have all been spot on from the factory. I haven't found any shortcomings in how the bike fuels. I left the stock exhaust on all of those bikes and just rode the snot out of them.

Seems like the early FI systems on bikes always had some sort of glitch that needed to be fixed. A stumble off idle, a flat spot in the power band, overly lean fueling, surging, etc. But it seems as of late, that manufacturers have got the FI dialed in fairly well.

I shudder to ask, as if I haven't noticed it then it's not bothering me, but what is it that folks are looking to fix on the Vee2?
As Big B likes to point out. There really is nothing to fix. I think with the full race setup the bike will still run fine. I just felt for the price, the PCFC is something I'd like to play with. And being able to carry 8 maps at once, you really can play with it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I'm running an Arrow can on the bike, which sounds great, but I wondered if I could squeeze a little more power out of the engine now..

My Vee2 runs kinda poorly at low RPM and low throttle openings, at least compared to previous bikes I've had.. but maybe that's just because it's a large v-twin. Still, if that could be smoothed out, it'd be great.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's interesting to have just read up a bit on the X-TRE device mentioned; if that fuel cut on closed throttle in 1st and 2nd is correct, then that could possibly explain the poor fueling at low RPMs I described. Or maybe it's just the bike running rather lean.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Finally got a chance to fit the PCFC today. I had FuelMoto set it for Arrow muffler as the only mod to my bike, (it's the only performance mod I've got although mine's an Aussie made Barrett Muffler.)

I'd already hooked it up to the computer last week to have a look at where the maps had been put (OEM was at position 2 and custom map was at position 1). I added a map (to position 3) that I'll use to fiddle with the on-board 3 stage adjustment available on the unit while on the road.

How did it feel?

Prior to fitting the PC the bike never quite idled right. It tended to idle a little rough missing the beat occasionally...a little like it was on the edge of a stall, although it never did. After installing the PCFC today, and using the custom map, I immediately noticed the clean idle.
Thump thump thump, doesn't miss a beat.

Bike's behaviour was improved in the low rev range (talking just off idle to around 2.5k RPM). Pulls stronger, more linear through the entire rev range and is velvet smooth throughout. As an example of the improved drive, I took it down to 2k RPM in 6th gear(!) and rolled on without things getting nasty. I certainly don't normally ride like that but was curious...Couldn't do that before.

In short the bike feels more forgiving if messing up a change and going a bit tall in gearing for speed, handy if caught out in traffic when cornering etc or pulling through ruts or sand off-road.

The X-Tre might be nice and cheap but I paid $280 delivered to Oz for the PCFC and I'm happy with the fact that I can customise with the unit alone on the go, and also load and manipulate maps via my own laptop ....with the ultimate option of going the Dyno path if needed. (I don't think it will be)

But from my own SOP dyno this arvo....it's a good thing.:thumbup:
Bill.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Finally got a chance to fit the PCFC today.
How did it feel? Prior to fitting the PC the bike never quite idled right. It tended to idle a little rough missing the beat occasionally...a little like it was on the edge of a stall, although it never did.
Thump thump thump, doesn't miss a beat.
SOP dyno this arvo....it's a good thing.:thumbup:
Bill.
Sounds like mine, still recouping from buying crash bars, but will probably be adding a PC5, next Pension check.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts