StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to pick your brains on area routes/rides, and potentially ride with y'all if the opportunity presents itself.

I've mapped a few rides which I could share also.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Looking to pick your brains on area routes/rides, and potentially ride with y'all if the opportunity presents itself.

I've mapped a few rides which I could share also.
Hello, Yes I am in the very south of Ottawa - Osgoode. I welcome another Stromtrooper to ride with.
PM me any time , Rideau River routes, Calabogie ...like them all.

Greg

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I'm just outside of Kingston. Lots of people from the area on here and I am sure they will chime in soon! I'd be up for another K&P trail adventure :) I'm hoping to run it Easter weekend if it's dry enough!

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
Ottawa/Gatineau
Been there.
loved it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Also the 512, 515, 66 and 68, southeast of Barry's Bay.

And the 506/509 east from the 41 through Plevna and Ompah, and onwards all the way south to 7. Or Buckshot Lake Rd from the 41 through Vennachar. Those are getting a little distant from Ottawa, though.

Lots of good roads to the west of Ottawa, north of Hwy 7, east/south of Algonquin park.

This link still seems to work, although the road condition comments and such are outdated: Great Ontario Bikeroads: List of routes by region
Also this one: https://www.northernontario.travel/motorcycle-touring/great-ontario-bike-roads-the-big-map
And this: The Ultimate Ontario tour | Canada Moto Guide

Those websites, and others, helped me discover some really good roads in eastern Ontario.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Can't miss riding the quebec side, the typical ride up to Champlain from the back side of Fortune, riding through Perkins and Val-des-Monts and across to Wakefield for lunch.
Yeah we'll get some rides in. I do like up the Ottawa valley and into some of the highlands but ride often enough on the QC side. I'm starting the season with 50-50 tires that I put on for a dirt road trip last fall, so for now I'm into bad roads as well. The tires do surprisingly well on the asphalt but I have dialed down the exuberance a wee bit.

That dirt road trip I took to Clova QC with five others last fall was a blast. I'll be riding it again this year. If you have a VStrom (and 50-50 tires) you are welcome to come along.

The ride to Bancroft for lunch is fun but I will be missing it this year. You should try to make it to that.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah we'll get some rides in. I do like up the Ottawa valley and into some of the highlands but ride often enough on the QC side. I'm starting the season with 50-50 tires that I put on for a dirt road trip last fall, so for now I'm into bad roads as well. The tires do surprisingly well on the asphalt but I have dialed down the exuberance a wee bit.

That dirt road trip I took to Clova QC with five others last fall was a blast. I'll be riding it again this year. If you have a VStrom (and 50-50 tires) you are welcome to come along.

The ride to Bancroft for lunch is fun but I will be missing it this year. You should try to make it to that.
I am just about to put on a pair of Shinko 804/805's, so I'll be up for some dirt roads.

Definitely heading to Bancroft if the weather holds.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Winchester vstrom rider here, would like to get out for a ride with some locals.
Finally got warm enough to clean the salt off the garage floor, never mind getting on the bike!

I only have 90/10 tires so prefer pavement/gravel to dirt.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Can't miss riding the quebec side, the typical ride up to Champlain from the back side of Fortune, riding through Perkins and Val-des-Monts and across to Wakefield for lunch.

and what 50/50 you've got?

·
Registered
708 Posts
and what 50/50 you've got?
I spooned on an unused Mitas e07 on the front, the older less chunky one. When I went to put on a used e07 on the back I noticed a small hole in the sidewall. I went to Motor Sport World to buy one of the Shinko 805 (a good tire), but at the bottom of a clearance pile of tires I found an older Pirelli Scorpion Rally which I picked up for $20. Date stamp was still good for another couple of years, on the pile I guess because that tire has been redesigned as well. I mounted and balanced the tires myself at DIY in the East end for $25 each. Very pleased. The blocks on my front (older) e07 are not as big and aggressive as I have on the rear, but directional stability in the dirt does not seem to suffer. I would still prefer big blocks both front and rear, aesthetically at least. The big block tire in the rear grips splendidly but given power hang out just enough to be entertaining and to change direction as desired. I'm no expert at this. I have found them very adequate on the street but have not played much at their limit on asphalt to say more. The newer Mitas e07+ (notice the +) tires impress me (in looks anyway) but the Shinko 805/804 tires have done well for guys I have ridden with. And cheaper too.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went to Motor Sport World to buy one of the Shinko 805 (a good tire), but at the bottom of a clearance pile of tires I found an older Pirelli Scorpion Rally which I picked up for $20.
Smokin' deal on that tire! I need to start looking around for deals like that/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts