StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there's a couple of you but are there anymore hiding out there? if there's enough of us maybe we can meet up for a MotoGP race or a WSB next year in France as the Strom contingent?

just curious

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes, I live near Salisbury in the South West. I have just taken delivery of a new (and therefore cheap) K2. I like it so far apart from the buffeting. I swopped in an Aprilia RSV Mille as I need to cover more distance now in my work. Added bits are OEM Heated Grips, Centre Stand, tank protector and full luggage. Also had a Scotty fitted (lovely installation to the FRONT sprocket - no more messy rear wheel and swing arm) and a Fender Extenda to protect the Oil Cooler.

Initial thoughts are - goes well, handles well, rides strange, comfy seat, poor mirrors and noisy/buffety protection.

Excellent dealer in Newbury, not great name though - "Best of Bikes!"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in Southend-on-Sea in Essex and I've also just got a new K2, Suzuki seem to be having a clear out!

I got a Scottoiler fitted as part of the deal though it's on the normal position on the rear sprocket, I like the sound of the front sproket set-up, no cable ties round the swing arm etc. I've since fitted a Krauser top-rack and a Motech centre stand (which incidently I grounded out today at the bottom of a sudden dip).

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:D Hi Yep there are some more of us in the U.K. not many tho. I live in the Reading area and have owned my 02 Strom since May. I've toured France twice since then with no probs, cured the buffetting by adding a 2" laminate strip to the top of the screen at about 45 degs, wife can't tell how fast we're going now!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi its me from Salisbury again. It seems that I have improved the ride quality alot by adjusting the rebound damping on the shock. Standard settings are too damped and gives a reluctant return from compressed. I now have it 1.5 turns from full on (standard 7/8's) and the shock feels much more lively. Try it (this is typical Suzuki - had the same problem on a RF900). Front forks could suffer the same, might try lighter oil as the internals are OK quality but the springs are a little weak!

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys
we're living in Jersey C.I. at the moment and we've got an '02 Strom that we got at the end of march this year, since then we've been around France (almost all the way around the outside) we've been through Andorra, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden and England. The Strom is great for 2 up touring but with a few mods it's sooooo much better. I bought a Cee Bailey's 28 1/4" windscreen and what a difference!!! I also have a Street Pilot 3 GPS which is brilliant (it's worth every pence/penny, trust me, you'll never knew how you managed before you got one).
Anyway I just wanted to say HI! and hopefully we can meet up one day

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greetings from the Isle of Wight. My 02 Strom was an ex demo and had sat in the corner of the show room for several months before I bought it in May. Now have 6k on the clock and no problems so far. Rather than a Scott oiler I usually fit an electonic chain oiler - the local mechanic thinks these are more reliable but I'm not convinced. Can alternative screens be bought in the UK or do they only come mail order?
The ONLY thing I don't like about the bile is the rough patch between 3-4k rpm and have passed on printouts from this site to the dealer. Any of you Brits had the upgraded clutch fitted?
I like the idea of a get-together sometime - maybe a weekend in France?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brit Clutches

I, too, have the 2002 (yellow) but haven't felt the need to incur the costs likely to exchange the clutch basket. The bike seems to run a lot better 2-3k RPM after the throttle bodies were re-inserted.

There weren't any local after-market screens, but CeeBailey's sent their stock screen within a week. Had a couple of surprising late invoices for customs charges and VAT, though (£50-ish). Didn't plan on them. Unsure whether I like the nominally reduced buffeting (from stock) or the design of the stock CB screen. Just enough room for a Starbucks muffin on the dash. Planning or what?!

I haven't fit an oiler yet, still early in the season. Like you, will probably opt for an electronic one although the other bike type guys here swear by their Scotoilers. A client sent me down to Warsash last summer and I was trying to arrange to ride there, with a short excursion to the Isle of Wright. Plans all fell through so I had to go via air-cage (British Airways).

Cheers.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Salisbury man again! The best UK screen I can see will probably be the ermax screen from ermax uk (ermax are a French Company). Its £75 delivered 18CM taller than stock, has a flip up top and built in vents!! I plan to get one in their Tint finish (colours are the same price). Apparently they have sold out, so many UK Strom owners must have them!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, I'm in Huddersfield, Yokshire. I ride a blue '02 with Krauser K5 luggage, Suzuki centre stand, Kawasaki Z1000 mirrors and clear indicator lenses (with orange bulbs). I've got a Suzuki tall screen but experienced so much buffetting that it's likely not to be used again! I'm curious about the Zero Gravity double bubble but haven't heard any feedback yet.

I had the clutch basket mod fitted at the beginning of this summer under warranty and can't believe how smooth the bike is now! (It used to buzz the fairing when passing through 3-4k!).

The wife and myself are hoping to get over into France next year as we've never taken the bike abroad before, but she wants a Corbin first!!

Dave

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ermax screen

Sounds interesting - do you have a contact number/ address? I've never heard of them.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
another UK rider .......

:D

I'm in Peterborough, although my bike is based in Germany, so I only get to ride her at the weekends (sorry, ride IT at the weekends!).

IT is an '02 model, which has just had the dreaded knocking at idle diagonsed as a rear cylinder failure rather than the more commonly expected clutch problem. Not happy at the moment!

There is a very new e-mail based natter circle just kicking off for UK owner/riders, and assuming you aren't already one of them, drop me a private line for details.

mike.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NEW GUY IN THE UK

:) G'DAY ,JUST JOINED TODAY, HAVE HAD THE 'STROM' IN GLORIOUS YELLOW FOR A WEEK NOW BUT DUE TO THE @#**" WEATHER I HAVE ONLY MANAGED 156 MILES SO FAR.
LIVE IN YORK BUT AM HEADING UP TO THE NORTH-EAST TOMMORROW TO HAVE A XMAS RIDE OUT FOR CHARITY WITH THE 'UP-NORTH BIKERS' SO THAT SHOULD GET IT NEARER TO BEING RUN IN.(CAN'T WAIT AS ALL THIS SHORT SHIFTING THROUGH THE GEARS IS GIVING ME THE 'RIGHT UMP') NICE TO SEE THAT I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH TASTE AS I WAS GETTING WORRIED AS I HAVE NOT SEEN ONE ON THE ROAD YET. CHEERS FOR NOW
ERNEST J.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Re: NEW GUY IN THE UK

HAWKEYE said:
:) HAVE HAD THE 'STROM' IN GLORIOUS YELLOW FOR A WEEK NOW BUT DUE TO THE @#**" WEATHER I HAVE ONLY MANAGED 156 MILES SO FAR. ERNEST J.
Just curious - I thought folks over the pond used kilometers not miles??

A general forum posting note - using all CAPITAL LETTERS means you're yelling.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
york is in England and we still use proper measurments like feet and inches and good old miles like you do over the pond, it's only the continentals that haven't seen the light :wink:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Bolocks, fellow Limies

Ah! the Common Wealth

What a vacation on a bike that would be. Favoite motor cycle magazine is Bike. Does any one have a copy of the first review of the V-strom in Bike magazine. I've always wanted to get a back issue of 4/02 F first ride or lanch report. The second review was a ride report between the 1150 GS, TDM 900, V-Strom and the Triump Tiger

Scooter EH!

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no longer a fellow UK Strom owner

Time for me to say goodbye, I traded the Strom in for a 2004 CBR600F yesterday.
Why? mainly due to the incompetent dealer I have here, I live in Jersey (Channel Islands not the US) I've had the most pathetic, incompetent service from the one and only dealer in Jersey, I just refuse to spend anymore money with them, it's that simple really, ie. when I asked that the fuel injection gets syncronised (it stalled a lot) the mechanic looked at me in all sincerity and asked "what? can you do that?" and then follwed with the comment "you should have bought the Ducati Multistrada it's much better than your pile of shit" it was in for it's 500 mile service at the time!
the owner (who was nice until I handed over the cash) agreed with the mechanic who, ended up making the stalling worse.
The Strom is due for it's 7500miles service and new tyres so I figured that it was a logical time to swap for something else.

Sorry to be a turn coat but now I've got a decent dealer (it costs wayyyy too much to get off the island to get it serviced in the UK or France in case you were wondering, and we get VAT free prices here).

The Strom was fun but as with all things it's time to move on.

I'll check in occasionally

Cheers

Viggen

·
Registered
351 Posts
About Face

That's to bad. If I felt comfortable on a sport I would have choosen one. Where I live in Canada there are many dealers and they will service any make of bike. If I need OME parts I will order them from a Suzuki dealer ship then have another shop install them. My favorite shop is a Kawaski dealership who have treated me well. One of my original choices for a bike was the ZR-7, Bike magazines blurb was: Result of a confused slug mating with a lettuce instead of eating it. Parts has bin. I'am thankful I bought the VS. Bike magazines blurb on the VS: TL 1000 engine in a pleasing, trail type package. Useful all round thing. Cant wait to see the KL1000 Kawasaki or what ever they will call it. It would be craze. I alsojust saw for the first time the new GS BMW, I think it's called the K1200GS, weighing in at 437lbs. At twice the price and double the servicing charges I will still go with the VS. You will need another bike to tour on besides the CBR 600.

Scooter

1 - 18 of 18 Posts