StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting on a new set of Michelin Anakee 3s before my trip. I've read a lot of good things about them. They seem like a good tire, fairly high mileage & grip well on wet roads.

Any of you using them? Likes? Dislikes?

I only ride on tarmac, so keep that in mind!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Have a look around the "Suspension & Tire tech" thread. You'll have better luck.
I have about 1 K miles on my A-3s. I have noticed noise from the front tire, which has been reported by others.
Tread life is all over the board. For some, they aren't lasting very long. For others, they are getting good life out of them. From what I've read, it doesn't seem to relate to how the bike is ridden.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have had the Anakee 2's on before and put a fresh set of 3's on before leaving for Alaska from Arkansas last month. Well, I guess the front had maybe 1k on it before I left but the rear only had maybe 100 miles. I rode 10,366 miles and they still have some tread on them. I also hit a lot of chip and seal and rough pavement. Wet pavement was no problem but I don;t think that I could tell much difference over the 2's. When I was on the Dalton and other dirt roads I was wishing I had a more aggressive tire. I also didn't balance my front tire and it had a little vibration when I got over 85mph but it was not bad.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yep, noisy. Other than that, great. Probably have about 15k on them and front is toast :purple_confused: (thought the front would wear out first - maybe it was some agressive cornering on last years big trip). It has decent tread, but had to plug her. Put a set of Conti Trail Attacks on Stromnado and loved them. Gotta set in the basement ready to mount.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Putting on a new set of Michelin Anakee 3s before my trip. I've read a lot of good things about them. They seem like a good tire, fairly high mileage & grip well on wet roads.

Any of you using them? Likes? Dislikes?

I only ride on tarmac, so keep that in mind!
It will do well enough, but you're going to get far less life and wet weather grip than a sport touring tire like the Michelin Pilot Road 4's or the Bridgestone T30.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I like the 3's fine, but be warned that if you do your own mounting with tire irons, they have VERY stiff sidewalls. I brought the wheels and tires to the dealer because of past experiences with other stiff sidewall tires.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info folks! I don't mount my own tires but I'll give my mechanic a heads up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I really like Anakees, since the first gen tires came out. But, if you don't ride off-road, why not get something like a Street Pilot Road3 or 4 Trail? Especially considering that most people say they can hear a difference with the Anakees. Never bothered me, but I always wear ear plugs.

Gustavo

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have 9,000 on my front Anakee 3 (replaced in Florida last September) and 6,000 km on rear (unfortunately my Florida rear picked up a giant hunk of metal, temp patch with two plugs worked but threw it away after replacement.
These tires are great in rain and on dry. I don't notice noise (wear custom moulded earplugs). They were fine in July on some pretty rough gravel roads around James Bay and some hard packed dirt. Having said that, if you sadly never ride off road, I would suggest you consider the Michelin pilot road 4 series...lots of info on this forum..

Anakee 3 definately keep up with chunkier offroad tires (depending also on riders skill), this pic in Northern Quebec by James Bay, July this year

image by Mr. Nuke, on Flickr

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really like Anakees, since the first gen tires came out. But, if you don't ride off-road, why not get something like a Street Pilot Road3 or 4 Trail? Especially considering that most people say they can hear a difference with the Anakees. Never bothered me, but I always wear ear plugs.

Gustavo
I liked the reviews and I liked the price. Noise doesn't matter to me. Between the Leo Vince exhaust & tunes on my uclear I don't hear tires.

I should clarify that I only ride on tarmac in Florida because there are no gravel roads near me. Everything is sand. It's supposed to be hard packed but it's not really. I tried a couple of them and I didn't care for it at all. I may give gravel a shot on my trip at the end of this month.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thoughts from a newer (lower skill) rider: I've had the 3s for a couple thousand miles, and the only thing I have to compare them to is the stock tires, but here is my 2 cents.

Onroad: Big improvement over stock, good handling wet and dry. I haven't noticed the noise others report.

Offroad: About the same as the stocks. I did some maintained dirt roads in Colorado at RMAR last summer, and I didn't feel like I could push it. If I was doing extended dirt I'd get something knobbier, like a K60. Since I'm now in the DC area, and don't anticipate much dirt riding, I will probably stick with the 3s for a bit.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
It will do well enough, but you're going to get far less life and wet weather grip than a sport touring tire like the Michelin Pilot Road 4's...
I agree. If no off-road then try PR4s. I'm happy with mine after several thousand miles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I like the 3's fine, but be warned that if you do your own mounting with tire irons, they have VERY stiff sidewalls. I brought the wheels and tires to the dealer because of past experiences with other stiff sidewall tires.
I have mounted 2 sets of A3's on friends bikes and they were much easier to mount
than BattleWings using my HF changer. I didn't find the sidewalls stiff at all.

·
Registered
374 Posts
my A3s have been treating me well... have about 13000 miles on them and still a little bit left... they feel solid on the road and not to bad off. do not do much off pavement, but when I have, they have not let me down.. fwiw I am not an off road rider... so I do not push it too hard, but I am getting more and more adventurous.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have A3's and I'm very happy with them, much better than the OEM tires especially in the wet. I've only been on pavement and some gravel roads, no serious off road so I can't really say how they would be. I only have 2,500 miles on them so time will tell how they wear.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It really depends on the roads you ride, and how you ride.

The A3's on my 04 Wee are about half used after 3500 miles. (90% street 10% dirt) I'll be surprised if they make it to 7000, but hoping they will.

The A3's on my 13 BMW GS were 100% used after 3000 miles. (85% street /15% dirt) I've been through 3 sets of A3's in 9600 miles on the GS.

The Front A3 wears out on the "sides" but still has plenty of center tread left. The Rear A3 wears out down the center in a wide 3" swath, but the sides still have tread.

They do offer great grip in the dry and wet, and not bad off road. Just don't charge into corners too hot, the front will wash out under lateral loads. They ain't a knobby, but they ain't bad when used for their intended purpose.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Believe KURGAN

I alternate A-3 in cold, wet months in Seattle, with Heidenau K60 Scout in warm months because I do as much forest service roads as I can. If I was all asphalt I'd think about the Marathon 880, or the Pilot or something that is long wearing and good wet.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I alternate A-3 in cold, wet months in Seattle, with Heidenau K60 Scout in warm months because I do as much forest service roads as I can. If I was all asphalt I'd think about the Marathon 880, or the Pilot or something that is long wearing and good wet.
I ran me880s on my cruiser. Liked them for a front tire but not for the rear. With even the slightest rear braking the rear tire had a tendency to break loose. No good. When I had an 880 on the front & a Bridgestone car tire on the back it was much better. I'm not putting a car tire on the Vee though!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts