StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I'm riding, I have my earbuds in and I'm listening to either music or podcasts -- typically more of the latter than the former.

In addition to the standard complement of NPR podcasts (This American Life, Radiolab, Serial, etc.), I also listen to a number of motorcycle-specific podcasts. These include:
Wheelnerds
Cafe Racer Podcast
The Pace Podcast (which, sadly, hasn't posted a new episode since August 2016)

Now that I have a bike capable of a little off-roading, I searched out and listened to several ADV podcasts and settled on Adventure Rider Radio. I'm currently listening to back-episodes.

Any others I should check out, ADV or otherwise?

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Adventure Rider Radio RAW Motorcycle Talks Podcast is a monthly round table discussion with some regular very experienced adventure travelers (and authors) produced by Jim Martin of ARR. As the name implies it can be a bit raw, but very funny at times.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not motorcycle related, but I love "Stuff You Should Know"
Motorcycles and Misfits is good too.

My wife turned me on to SYSK about 6 months ago and it's all I've been listening to during my commute (80 miles per day). Great podcast. Good information and just nice/pleasant guys to listen to.

I also like genre's of true crime and paranormal.

For true crime, check out "True Murder" and "Sword and Scale". There's also a series called "Someone Knows Something" from CBC radio that's excellent (both seasons). And there's also "In the Dark".

For paranormal, check out Jim Harold's campfire and the Paranormal Podcast.

Freakanomics radio is also a good podcast.

Lastly, if anyone still doesn't know, season 1 of NPR's "Serial" is the best podcast ever, hands down.

I need to get a Sena BT system this summer so I can listen to these podcasts on the bike.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Thanks for the tips - I never really thought about searching out motorcycling podcasts.
I love love love Freakonomics Radio podcast. If you've never read Freakonomics - do so, Fantastic book. Their podcast has some incredibly informative and interesting information. I dare say some of could even be considered life changing.

·
Registered
858 Posts
My wife turned me on to SYSK about 6 months ago and it's all I've been listening to during my commute (80 miles per day). Great podcast. Good information and just nice/pleasant guys to listen to.

I also like genre's of true crime and paranormal.

For true crime, check out True Murder and Sword and Scale.

For paranormal, check out Jim Harold's campfire and the Paranormal Podcast.

Freakanomics radio is also a good podcast.

I need to get a Sena BT system this summer so I can listen to these podcasts on the bike.
You likely already have earbuds and a phone. If you have an Android phone Google Play Music can manage podcasts. I have had issues with it being able to navigate them like I can with music. Seems like I used to have an app - Coffee something or another that was good doing that.

·
Registered
15,921 Posts
Wow, different riding styles.
I can't imagine someone yammering in my ears when I'm taking in the pleasure of riding. Where is your attention being focused?
Sometimes there is music in my head but it's from what is buried in the cerebral vortex, not a set of speakers trying to overcome ambient sounds and the use of earplugs.
I guess some folks don't like being left to themselves.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I can't imagine someone yammering in my ears when I'm taking in the pleasure of riding. Where is your attention being focused?
Sometimes there is music in my head but it's from what is buried in the cerebral vortex, not a set of speakers trying to overcome ambient sounds and the use of earplugs.

IMO, if a person can't listen to music/podcast and drive at the same time, you probably don't have the coordination to ride in the first place. It's no different than having the radio on in a car, which I'd guess 95% of people do and nobody attributes a car radio to distraction. It's like walking and chewing gum.

I get a great deal of pleasure while riding and listening, just as I do in my car. The two aren't by any means mutually exclusive.

Furthermore, I'm going to say that the "ambient sounds" that would otherwise be all I listen to (engine noise and wind) aren't something I'm really ever that saddened to have overcome... especially when I'm commuting to and from work.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I listen to podcasts and also audio books - Audible.com. I'm a bit of a fitness/health geek and love the Ben Greenfield Fitness podcast.

The best app I've found for podcasts is Overcast - way better than the "stock" app on iOS.

Having something other than wind noise is a bonus. That said, when I am riding truly challenging roads, I often do that in "silence" so my full attention is on the experience.

Reactions: chirosyd

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with your first comment -- different riding styles.

I got into listening to music/books/podcasts when I was an avid runner. I found that, if I had something to distract me from the pain in my knee or that 1 jingle I couldn't get out of my head or just downright boredom, I could run a lot longer. A LOT longer -- my runs went from 2 miles to, ultimately, 18 miles.

That habit followed me onto the bike. Without something to listen to, I find that I'm quick to focus on the negatives -- my knees hurt, is that rattle a sign of impending engine failure?, that driver's an a-hole, etc. Just the way I'm wired, I guess.

Some good suggestions -- I use Downcast as my podcast manager. Like others have said, the one that came with my iPhone is OK, but not great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A timely thread for me, thanks. I've taken to enjoying podcasts when on a LD ride. I can tire of music after awhile but a good story, or now that Opening Day is around the corner a good ball game:thumbup:, can pass the time nicely. The Pace was a favorite and sorry to see them go. (Anyone know what happened?) A little different but over this winter I got caught up in The History of Rome.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Some of us have both functional and pleasure riding. Podcasts for me are a time and place sort of thing.
I listen on commutes only and on my daily walks. It's good to stay informed while otherwise doing something to keep my mind from getting annoyed with traffic while still having spidey senses engaged. Thank goodness most of my commute is on residential streets and not highway.
I also catch up on podcasts and audiobooks while driving long trips - like when I go do chores for mom.
I never listen to podcasts on fun rides and if I put on music it's always something serene like New Age or classical - music only no "singing".

Reactions: SPlank

·
Registered
388 Posts
I knew these were my kind of people.... :)

First off a recommendation for Pocketcasts. This sucker is an AMAZING cross-platform podcast app that remembers where you are on each of the podcasts, syncs all your devices, etc., etc. Plus, the link above is their web player, which was (I think) $6 for life - and syncs with your phone, etc. So, you can listen on the way to work, while at work, on the way home, and over your Sonos or whatever at home using a gagillion different devices and operating systems. Very slick. Get their app in your app store.

As to podcasts for those that like Serial, those folks did a different one released Netflix binge-style - all 7 released at once just this week. It's called S-town, and is a gripping real life story with incredible twists. Worth it, and I dare say better than Serial and Someone Knows Something, both of which are really solid.

Another CBC recommendation: Under the Influence. A critical and informative view of advertising and marketing, and always more than fascinating. You'll be jonesing when they are off the air between July and December.

I've never picked it up, but I understand This American Life on NPR is amazing. I will have to try Freakanomics and Stuff You Should Know.

Lots of my others are tech or other hobbies. The only motorcycle ones I listen to are Adventure Rider Radio (well produced) and The 2 Enthusiasts Podcast, which is actually often mechanically technical, and very race/track focused, with the occasional bit about new bikes. I would like the equivalent to the Autoweek Podcast for bikes (but that would need a magazine that doesn't just reprint press reviews and glow about new bikes during expensive junkets... if only Hearst had a motorcycle magazine like Road and Track or Car and Driver, where opinions mattered.... hint, Cycle World).

Anyway. Favourite picks. As with everything, your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
So you've never tried it ......

Some comment on things they don't understand and have never experienced ......one wonders why. :confused:

Walk and chew gum comes to mind. >:)

·
Registered
15,921 Posts
Multi tasking aficionados unite. Those of us that can't STFU!
I sit and ride corrected.:grin2:
I guess I just don't need the extra benefits you enjoy.

"Some comment on things they don't understand and have never experienced ......one wonders why"
Actually the wife and I used to travel with a intercom unit that had radio too, so actually I've been there, done that.
I really like your comment applied to the tire dark side argument though.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Multi tasking aficionados unite. Those of us that can't STFU!
I sit and ride corrected.:grin2:
I guess I just don't need the extra benefits you enjoy.

"Some comment on things they don't understand and have never experienced ......one wonders why"
Actually the wife and I used to travel with a intercom unit that had radio too, so actually I've been there, done that.
I really like your comment applied to the tire dark side argument though.
Gawd yes! I never have understand darkside nor will I.
Sure - better mileage out of the tire, but you give up almost everything in handling that makes a motorcycle a motorcycle.
I rode one a guy had a rear mounted and was just flabbergasted anyone thinks that's a good idea.

·
Registered
15,921 Posts
Brojon, I can't knock the dark side. Several guys, a couple of which I'm met and ridden with use car tires. Works for them.
Like eating moths and other insects, it's not for everyone.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Brojon, I can't knock the dark side. Several guys, a couple of which I'm met and ridden with use car tires. Works for them.
Like eating moths and other insects, it's not for everyone.
I think if you're a straight slab rider it's likely not a bad idea economically.
Might as well have a CanAM at that point.

·
Registered
15,921 Posts
Brojon, The dark siders have no problems in the twisties.
you sound like me questioning your GD pod cast listening.
The car tires work, just not for the likes of nay sayers.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Pace was a favorite and sorry to see them go. (Anyone know what happened?)
Kinda.

When they had a fairly long interim last year (like, a few months) I eventually asked what was up on a web forum that I knew Chris of The Pace frequented. He responded that he and James had a lot of things going on in their lives and couldn't get the schedules to mesh up.

Then they released the 1 episode in August, which was only James talking to the guy that was filming an off-road MC movie with 2 brand-new riders. That means that, I believe, it's been almost a full year since the two of them released anything together.

I asked questions a couple of times on their FB page, but got no response. I also asked again via the web forum, but this time received no response.

Last week, I sent a message to Chuck & Todd (The Wheelnerds) on their FB page, since I know they're all friends. Chuck got back to me right away and said, to his knowledge, it wasn't "dead dead", but they were still having troubles with schedules.

Methinks something is afoot that no one's talking about, but maybe that's just my suspicious nature. I know James was involved with another podcast when they started The Pace (about MC racing, I believe) and, when he hung that up, he wasn't shy about saying he was done, and why.

I don't think I'm telling tales out of school, since they talked about it openly on the show, but I know Chris was coming off some pretty life-changing stuff (divorce, financial difficulties, new relationship). So maybe something happened on that front that's complicating things.

I probably come off as a bit of fan-boy, but I really enjoyed The Pace's style of delivery. I once heard them referred to as "the NPR of motorcycling", which I felt was a great counterweight to my other top 'cast -- The Wheelnerds.

Reactions: BigOgre
1 - 20 of 24 Posts